The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   NO MORE CLICK click CLICK START..ONLY START! starter relay (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51840)

SomethingElse 09-30-2009 02:40 PM

Re: NO MORE CLICK click CLICK START..ONLY START!

Quote:

Originally Posted by major7venth (Post 619819)
Question, did it act as if it had a bad starter solenoid? click, no starter turn?

yup. you can hear it click under the hood at the solenoid. There isnt enough juice at the end of the circuit.

BoxerFanatic 09-30-2009 03:46 PM

Sounds exactly like mine...

new relay and steering column shroud install... here I come. :D

Trevor 09-30-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomethingElse (Post 619771)
got to work..opened it up..sure enough...the spring was slightly deformed causing it to only make contact in one small area...after years of being abused in one spot it began to develope craters

Its just a plain relay the same one used for the band-aid fix 12v 20/30 amps
the #s read 0332204150

and the contacts inside the relay...
Attachment 12856

Just as I had predicted. :(

However I did not expect such a piece of badly designed junk, even though automotive electrics tend to be cheap and crude. My company would not have rated that relay, as capable of switching more than 5 amps of inductive load. It would have been out of the question to use same in any industrial situation.

It is up to the Subaru designers to explain why a diode is not included across the solenoid winding, so as to shunt a nasty inductive opening spike. A normally closed relay opening such an unprotected circuit, is exceptionally vulnerable. :confused:

TomsSVX 09-30-2009 06:36 PM

You phail.... The relay is a 5 pin w/ 87a... Gonna need the right relay to do the proper test....

Tom

Trevor 09-30-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 619864)
You phail.... The relay is a 5 pin w/ 87a... Gonna need the right relay to do the proper test....

Tom

Who, what phail Tom?:confused: Right relay? :confused: What relay?:confused: Proper test?:confused: What test?:confused:

Trevor ;)

TomsSVX 09-30-2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 619871)
Who, what phail Tom?:confused: Right relay? :confused: What relay?:confused: Proper test?:confused: What test?:confused:

Trevor ;)

Trevor you are the one person here I would expect never to take anything as an absolute.

The 4 pin generic relay is not able to work in place a of the 5pin relay fitted stock. I will get a new bosch 5 pin relay tomorrow at work and try again tomorrow night.

Eric phails because he is good at it. You phail because its getting annoying

Tom

SomethingElse 09-30-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 619873)
Trevor you are the one person here I would expect never to take anything as an absolute.

The 4 pin generic relay is not able to work in place a of the 5pin relay fitted stock. I will get a new bosch 5 pin relay tomorrow at work and try again tomorrow night.

Eric phails because he is good at it. You phail because its getting annoying

Tom

Im not a very articulate person..there are only 4 pins connecting to the 5 pin relay man i gotta quit drinking...as much :o

I gave you a part # what more do you want? U want me to come install it too!:mad::rolleyes:

The band-aid relay gsodonis had installed was a 5 pin...guess he was thinking ahead

It still seems too easy to be true...all this mess we made with the "relay mod" and the repair was so dam simple....

TomsSVX 09-30-2009 07:52 PM

Thats why I want to confirm because it is overly simple.

Thanks for keeping the eye out

Tom

Trevor 10-01-2009 03:58 AM

The fault always was simple. The logical approach is simply, simple. Simple Simons, never simply trace a simple fault. ;) :lol:

My92SVX 10-01-2009 10:58 PM

This no workie for me.. Took the relay off the ebony SVX I just bought which has no click, click trouble.. Put that relay on pearly and put the one on pearly on the ebony one.. Well, result.. Pearly still goes click , click and ebony goes vroom.. lol.. Anyhow.. I think I know what the problem on the pearly is.. I had the cover off the steering column off one time to tighten the bolts for the ingnition switch.. I noticed that the back of the ignition cylinder was/is lose.. I have a feeling that is where my problem lies. Maybe i'll look into that this weekend.

SomethingElse 10-02-2009 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My92SVX (Post 620024)
I noticed that the back of the ignition cylinder was/is lose.. I have a feeling that is where my problem lies. Maybe i'll look into that this weekend.

Faulty ignition switches do cause the same symptoms, in my case the switch had already been replaced.

when I write the no start diag I will explain how to diagnose the starter circuit using a volt meter and doing voltage drop tests.

If you dont have a voltmeter and you want to throw parts at the car immediatly, the relay is the cheapest and easiest place to start.

My92SVX 10-02-2009 06:43 AM

Hey Eric.. I was kind of crossing my fingers that it was the relay.. I really do not want to get at that ignition switch.. Plus.. I really don't want to replace it. Cause I don't want a different key just for the ignition.. I'm going to do some search on here.. However, I don't think anyone has actually tackled fixing the switch. Anyhow.. I'm sure your info will help others. :)

SomethingElse 10-02-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My92SVX (Post 620042)
Hey Eric.. I was kind of crossing my fingers that it was the relay.. I really do not want to get at that ignition switch.. Plus.. I really don't want to replace it. Cause I don't want a different key just for the ignition.. I'm going to do some search on here.. However, I don't think anyone has actually tackled fixing the switch. Anyhow.. I'm sure your info will help others. :)

you dont replace the whole tumbler assy. its just the electrical part at the end. Im trying to find it at subaruparts.com but am having a hard time.

Hocrest 10-02-2009 05:46 PM

83131pa000 is the ignition switch part number, I think I paid like $35 from Liberty Subaru.

... but it's still clicking, so big thanks to Eric for my next project.

SomethingElse 10-02-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 620101)
83131pa000 is the ignition switch part number, I think I paid like $35 from Liberty Subaru.

... but it's still clicking, so big thanks to Eric for my next project.

my car starts every time.

heres linky to the part at autozone. they call it the power window relay but its the same p/n. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...-+Power+Window