The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I broke my speedometer when I pulled the dashboard (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41461)

msvx95 10-22-2007 10:15 AM

Matt if you are interested I still have an available cluster, but the one printing plate is bad on the back that illuminates the PRND321 inbetween the speedo and tach.
Everything else works though and if you need it I can pull it out of storage and get you this so you can troubleshoot.

PM me if you desire this.

RSVX 10-22-2007 10:19 AM

Bah! You were supposed to call me when you were going to do this so I could help!

Anyways, glad you got it back together.

immortal_suby 10-22-2007 02:15 PM

Update:
Fuel gauge works.

Speedo - dead
Speed sensitive steering - dead. Operates at full assist at speed, seems to have very little assist at low speed.
Cruise control - dead
Odometer - dead

Today after a few miles of driving the check engine light came on. Only one code is present - code 33 - Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) or circuit

Thanks for the offers on a speedo cluster - Todd already has one in the mail to me. Thanks Todd! I may not end up needing it but I am taking it anyway. The price was right ;)

immortal_suby 10-22-2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSVX (Post 503048)
Bah! You were supposed to call me when you were going to do this so I could help!

Anyways, glad you got it back together.

I'm glad you weren't here - I was cursing like a sailor! :lol:

Hocrest 10-22-2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 503111)
Update:
Fuel gauge works.

Speedo - dead
Speed sensitive steering - dead. Operates at full assist at speed, seems to have very little assist at low speed.
Cruise control - dead
Odometer - dead

Today after a few miles of driving the check engine light came on. Only one code is present - code 33 - Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) or circuit

Thanks for the offers on a speedo cluster - Todd already has one in the mail to me. Thanks Todd! I may not end up needing it but I am taking it anyway. The price was right ;)

The front speed sensor would affect all of those things. Did you work under the hood to get the heater hoses off of the heater core?

The passenger side heater hose isn't too far from the speed sensor... It is on the front diff, about 1" forward of the diff dipstick...

immortal_suby 10-22-2007 03:51 PM

Thanks Hocrest!

I was working in that area to reinstall the hoses but unfortunately the sensor was plugged in - thought maybe I had am easy fix.

But -
I got out the service manual and went through the VSS2 troubleshooting.
I got the correct resistance between the VSS harness and the TCU harness.
I got the correct voltage between the VSS harness and ground
I then removed VSS#2.
I then **** my pants when I saw some of it missing
I then re-read that section of the manual and found out that the sensor key part is not connected and you have to remove it separately.

Testing VSS2 voltage while rotating it I am not getting any voltage from it at all. It is supposed to change from 0 to 5 volts while rotating. I get nothing.

I guess I need to order that part.

In the meantime - the shop manual is not clear on reinstalling the sensor. It states to grease the tip of the shaft to keep it from falling out. Then to "insert it correctly in the key groove at the tip of the speedometer shaft" Which you can't see! I guess I just cross my fingers?

Speedklix 10-22-2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 503158)
In the meantime - the shop manual is not clear on reinstalling the sensor. It states to grease the tip of the shaft to keep it from falling out. Then to "insert it correctly in the key groove at the tip of the speedometer shaft" Which you can't see! I guess I just cross my fingers?

No kidding... Its like one turn, two turn, and right about there :confused::confused:
:lol: I'm sure there is and easy way that both you and I have just been overlooking

immortal_suby 10-22-2007 05:27 PM

I just took a drive to get some beer (astounding!)
And the speedo worked.
For 1.5 miles.
Then it quit again.

I cleaned up the terminals a little more. #3 on the VSS plug was a little blue. Tomorrow will tell if it works again. I don't know why I get no voltage when spinning the VSS with the tester hooked up, but then it worked for a short while minutes later on a drive. But, I am sure OE on voltage meter use could explain it. :o

Trevor 10-22-2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 503158)
Testing VSS2 voltage while rotating it I am not getting any voltage from it at all. It is supposed to change from 0 to 5 volts while rotating. I get nothing.

From where did you get this information? :confused:

wawazat?? 10-22-2007 07:12 PM

No problem Matt. Glad I could help.

Good luck on the troubleshooting session!

Todd

immortal_suby 10-22-2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 503221)
From where did you get this information? :confused:

The factory service manual. Section 3 page 201.

Check vehicle speed sensor 2
1) Remove VSS2 from transmission. Connect body harness connector (B9) to VSS2 and turn ignition switch on
2) Rotate vehicle speed sensor 2
3) Check that voltage across VSS2 sensor connector terminals change (from 0 to 5) volts four times per rotation
Connector & terminal / specified voltage
(B9) No.1 - (B9) No. 2 / 0 -> 5V

My only guess why I got no voltage is that of the 3 terminals I might have connected to 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2.

Hocrest 10-22-2007 08:16 PM

And you had it connected to the car and had the power on when you tested it?

immortal_suby 10-22-2007 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 503244)
And you had it connected to the car and had the power on when you tested it?

Yes, plugged in with stripped wire leads inside the connector/plug to hook the alligator clips to. Ignition on.
I even went back and tested it again. I got nothing. I get 8 volts from #1 to ground (no spec in the manual for that) , 10 volts from #3 to ground, and no resistance when grounding #2.
I guess it's possible I am mixing up 1 and 3 and I only get 8 volts from # 3 and that's my problem? :confused:

Trevor 10-22-2007 11:20 PM

Thanks Matt,

It now turns out that my JDM model has a different type of sensor, hence some confusion. This could prove to be useful knowledge.

Cheers, Trevor.

Speedklix 10-23-2007 12:08 AM

its hopeless, just sell it to me cheap