The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   ECU Tune Projects (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   ECU tune Transmission control unit? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49188)

SVXRide 03-01-2009 10:01 PM

Re: ECU tune Transmission control unit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnybeas (Post 589788)
is there a way to still push my redlines with the 5 spd??? I still run the stock tcu with the 5 spd.

You have to tweak the ECU to adjust the redline. LAN's ECU stage 2 chips do this and you could also go the Hydra route.

-Bill

longassname 03-01-2009 10:17 PM

I think you are thinking of the ECU, the engine control unit. The tcu, the transmission control unit controls the automatic transmission soley and is removed when it is removed.

svxfiles 03-02-2009 05:59 AM

I got mine Friday.:D
And did not have time to open the box untill Sunday.:rolleyes:

I will be putting it in my SC Claret, but for now it's in my stock 93 Red SVX.
OK, stock except for a ECUTune Stage 1 Version 5 chip.
I drove it yesterday, but only far enough to find that it does shift at higher
RPMs, and I believe that it's holding in the gears longer.:)

Today I'll drive it like a normal person to get a better feel and report back.

Thanks again LAN.

Johnybeas 03-02-2009 06:26 AM

If I run the hydra then I don't need the TCU correct? or do I not even need it now? I'm confused.

svxfiles 03-02-2009 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnybeas (Post 589826)
If I run the hydra then I don't need the TCU correct? or do I not even need it now? I'm confused.

If you have a manual transmission, you do not require a TCU.

PS, YourConfused is in Texas!:D

Johnybeas 03-02-2009 11:52 AM

lol are you serious?? should I pull it out then?? was the NSS bypass wiring a part of the ECU harness?? I'm running a wrx 5spd. Also, I'm gonna get the hydra in a few months. :)

Johnybeas 03-02-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 589831)
....PS, YourConfused is in Texas!:D

smart ass old man! hahahaha lol

svxfiles 03-05-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 589823)
I got mine Friday.:D
And did not have time to open the box untill Sunday.:rolleyes:

I will be putting it in my SC Claret, but for now it's in my stock 93 Red SVX.
OK, stock except for a ECUTune Stage 1 Version 5 chip.
I drove it yesterday, but only far enough to find that it does shift at higher
RPMs, and I believe that it's holding in the gears longer.:)

Today I'll drive it like a normal person to get a better feel and report back.

Thanks again LAN.

I've now had a chance to drive it with the chip, AND I REALLY LIKE IT!!!:D
It holds the car in the lower gears for longer letting the engine get up to "towing speed".
The one thing that I did not like about the SVX, stock or 4.44 was that it shifted out of first gear in like ten feet!:rolleyes:
LAN burned this one for my Claret so it (at WOT) has the 7200 shift to second that is most likely too high for a stock engine.
So on my next chip for the Red 93, I'll get the stock 6500 RPM mapping.
For $50.00 if you can solder it in yourself, this thing is a steal!
Thanks, again,
LAN

1986nate 03-05-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 590434)
The one thing that I did not like about the SVX, stock or 4.44 was that it shifted out of first gear in like ten feet!:rolleyes:
LAN

Yes, I've found this pretty ridiculous ever since I first got my SVX. It also pretty much doesn't downshift into first unless you basically come to a complete stop... What were they thinking?:confused:

Sean486 03-07-2009 05:30 PM

I was driving Old Tom's Red SVX with the ECU tune quite bit yesterday while I was getting car worked on. I can honestly say that it made dramatic improvement over the stock SVX set up. My impression was that shifts were at a slightly higher RPM, were firmer and it just felt more right to me.

A soon as I can afford it, I will be putting one in my car.

Wikedjuggalo 03-07-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 590885)
I was driving Old Tom's Red SVX with the ECU tune quite bit yesterday while I was getting car worked on. I can honestly say that it made dramatic improvement over the stock SVX set up. My impression was that shifts were at a slightly higher RPM, were firmer and it just felt more right to me.

A soon as I can afford it, I will be putting one in my car.

I drove it too :), hope all your work got done in a timely manner sean, I must say I liked it. I drove that car while I was up there and I really enjoyed it. Great work on the chip and might purchase one down the road.

svxfiles 03-11-2009 10:04 AM

I just now had a chance to check out my gas mileage on "Christine".
255 miles and 12.6 gallons of 92 octane.....
20.238095 MPG!!!!!:D:cool:
Thats with all non highway driving, (althoough at highway speeds.;))
This is unexpected.
I'll have to check out my records, but I think She usually gets about 18.mpg.
More later.

NiftySVX 03-11-2009 02:13 PM

Okay, so is there any plan to further crack this thing? I would buy one right away if it could change the lockup to more like 90-100f and the at oil temp light trigger to more like 215. I don't imagine this is in the part of the tcu that is being changed...or is it?

b3lha 03-13-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 591600)
Okay, so is there any plan to further crack this thing? I would buy one right away if it could change the lockup to more like 90-100f and the at oil temp light trigger to more like 215. I don't imagine this is in the part of the tcu that is being changed...or is it?

I don't know if LAN is working on it, but I certainly am. Earlier today I was trying to make sense of the C solenoid calculations. It is very time consuming work.

I suggest you don't wait. Buy LAN's modified TCU now and have some fun with it.

longassname 03-15-2009 09:07 AM

I only remember a couple places in the code that compared with the atft so finding the location for the data for the threshold for the warning light shouldn't be hard. I'll try to motivate on that today but I have a couple other things I'm far more interested in so no promisses. At first I thought the warning light was almost pointless because if the fluid in a propperly filled transmission is getting schorching hot it's because the transmission is bad so it's kind of a buy a new trans light but since they overheat if you put too much fluid in them and it's hard to read the dipstick it would be good to have a low warning temp to warn people who get it wrong--could save some transmissions.