The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   167 mph svx (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41973)

b3lha 11-21-2007 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guyver280z (Post 510093)
:eek: Stock gears???

Don't forget the Euro SVX has a different final drive ratio to the USA model.

Cool video. Not far off Sonar's GPS-measured 172mph.

Guyver280z 11-21-2007 09:51 AM

That's tyhe autobahn.... ferraris go faster than that :D

SVeXy96 11-22-2007 03:48 AM

Any SVX in top shape and (before they installed a gov) can "easily" reach 150. Back in high school I took a family friends 92 LSi and almost hit 155 I prolly could have too, but the freeway had a big turn coming up.:mad::D

nonSTOP_service 11-22-2007 07:09 PM

I bury my needle regularly, and well... You can see my mileage.

I agree with just about everyone here, kids street racing between stoplights is a disaster waiting to happen. However I believe it is very realistic to speed responsibly on an open freeway.

As long as you stay in the fast lane and don't make any reckless lane changes (fast and abrupt, cutting off other drivers) I feel perfectly safe at 160 (or so my needle says lawl) when there is little to no traffic on the interstate. It's when you throw countless amounts of inattentive drivers you'd encounter during the day, people who don't check their blind spots and try and eat while driving... Around these people I slow it down and drive safer than anyone you'd ever meet.

Call me reckless and irresponsible, but the fact of the matter is, I've NEVER crashed, I've NEVER been pulled over for speeding (well once but I was doing 10 over and it was really dumb) and I've NEVER had a "close call".

Please keep in mind I'm not trying to start a **** storm here, I'm not advocating street racing or anything. I'm just saying that if you go years without ever having/causing any problems, you're probably fine.

Also, autobahn, brights on, ect...

TomsSVX 11-23-2007 08:58 AM

The SVX is a very confident car at high speeds. Comparing a 155mph run in my svxi to a 161mph runs in my brother's 300zxtt the svx felt right at home while the z.... felt awkward and overly responsive to road changes. Luxury goes away over 120mph and the general feel of the sports car side of the svx comes out to play.

Tom

crazyhorse 11-23-2007 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 510762)
The SVX is a very confident car at high speeds. Comparing a 155mph run in my svxi to a 161mph runs in my brother's 300zxtt the svx felt right at home while the z.... felt awkward and overly responsive to road changes. Luxury goes away over 120mph and the general feel of the sports car side of the svx comes out to play.

Tom

What we see as a "penalty" at lower speeds is the SVX's saving grace at triple digits. The "heavy" feel of the cars on an autocross course, translates to a "planted" feel at speed.
My car, being pretty much stock, has a confident, if a bit numb, feel on the two lane blacktop. Out on the interstate, however, the car settles into it's stride. In their stock form, these cars have some LONG legs. I like leggy redheads:cool:

TomsSVX 11-23-2007 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorse (Post 510763)
What we see as a "penalty" at lower speeds is the SVX's saving grace at triple digits. The "heavy" feel of the cars on an autocross course, translates to a "planted" feel at speed.
My car, being pretty much stock, has a confident, if a bit numb, feel on the two lane blacktop. Out on the interstate, however, the car settles into it's stride. In their stock form, these cars have some LONG legs. I like leggy redheads:cool:

LOL you are right... But my koni/GC SVX seems to love the high speeds as well which is the best of both worlds:D

Tom

ensteele 11-23-2007 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonSTOP_service (Post 510682)
I bury my needle regularly, and well... You can see my mileage.

I agree with just about everyone here, kids street racing between stoplights is a disaster waiting to happen. However I believe it is very realistic to speed responsibly on an open freeway.

As long as you stay in the fast lane and don't make any reckless lane changes (fast and abrupt, cutting off other drivers) I feel perfectly safe at 160 (or so my needle says lawl) when there is little to no traffic on the interstate. It's when you throw countless amounts of inattentive drivers you'd encounter during the day, people who don't check their blind spots and try and eat while driving... Around these people I slow it down and drive safer than anyone you'd ever meet.

Call me reckless and irresponsible, but the fact of the matter is, I've NEVER crashed, I've NEVER been pulled over for speeding (well once but I was doing 10 over and it was really dumb) and I've NEVER had a "close call".

Please keep in mind I'm not trying to start a **** storm here, I'm not advocating street racing or anything. I'm just saying that if you go years without ever having/causing any problems, you're probably fine.

Also, autobahn, brights on, ect...

No matter how you feel about this, speeding is still against the law and we don't condone speeding here.

PDSides 11-23-2007 10:43 AM

Show me an official timing record of any stock, USA spec SVX exceeding 145 mph. I don't care what the speedometer reads at the time. I've heard of one going 152 mph but doubt the official nature of that run. I also doubt the validity of the speed claimed on this video.
Preston

NikFu S. 11-23-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDSides (Post 510774)
Show me an official timing record of any stock, USA spec SVX exceeding 145 mph. I don't care what the speedometer reads at the time. I've heard of one going 152 mph but doubt the official nature of that run. I also doubt the validity of the speed claimed on this video.
Preston

Euro SVXi have the 3.7 final. They are a little faster as well I have heard 0.05 lower CD.

Wikedjuggalo 11-23-2007 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S. (Post 510838)
Euro SVXi have the 3.7 final. They are a little faster as well I have heard o.5 lower CD.

Don't the FWD have 3.9 final or something?

It's Just Eric 11-23-2007 10:29 PM

The jdm trans is 3.9, usdm is 3.54, the fwd is somewhere between

Nomake Wan 11-24-2007 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric (Post 510883)
The jdm trans is 3.9, usdm is 3.54, the fwd is somewhere between

Wrong, the JDM is 3.70.

svxfiles 11-24-2007 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S. (Post 510838)
Euro SVXi have the 3.7 final. They are a little faster as well I have heard o.5 lower CD.

Quote from the 1997 Subaru SVX brochure;
"The aerodynamic Subaru SVX profile creates a remarkably low .29 coefficient of drag.

The Euro ones had a longer belly pan and a CD of .285.;)

There will be a test!:p

NikFu S. 11-24-2007 03:59 AM

D'oh! I mean 0.05.

.5 would be a pretty huge leap wouldn't it. :D