PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone

Habesha
07-25-2001, 01:11 PM
Supposedly the SVX is "pre-wired" for a phone.... anyone know if I could hook up a modern cell phone car kit to work with this?

(you know, considering I don't have an SVX yet, I'm getting kinda crazy - at least when I get one, I'll be ready to put the personalizing touches on her)

oneothefewproud
07-25-2001, 01:14 PM
Well, Not sure about the Modem deally, but when I got Beauty she has three holes in the side of her center console. ouch. So someone had a cell in there before. I am the 3rd owner and all of have taken great care of her. See pic in my locker.

Caio
Goto autotrader.com they seem to have a bunch of svx's most of the time

Aredubjay
07-25-2001, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Habesha
Supposedly the SVX is "pre-wired" for a phone.... anyone know if I could hook up a modern cell phone car kit to work with this?

(you know, considering I don't have an SVX yet, I'm getting kinda crazy - at least when I get one, I'll be ready to put the personalizing touches on her)

Check this TSB:

http://members.tripod.com/quick_svx/TSBs92/42748463.html

sith
07-25-2001, 02:17 PM
The previous owner of my car had a cell wired in, same kinda setup oneothefewproud described. I took the actual phone out, but haven't pulled the antenna yet, as I can't figure out a good way of doing it without 1) screwing up the rear glass and 2) leaving a bit of wire protrouding from my interior ceiling. I haven't figured out how exactly all the wires for it are run either, there is one in the roof, and the one in the center console, I'm not sure where they connect though...

I also left the little ball mount thing on the side of the console on the passenger side, because I though that would look better than having a hole in the carpet and three holes through the side of the console.

The real question is though ... what are the reasons for having a car wired cell instead of just getting a portable these days? Do any cell carriers still sell car-only kits?

oneothefewproud
07-25-2001, 02:25 PM
Well, with the soon to be banned hand held cell phones, in some states anyway. I could see getting a hand held that mounted into a car mounted kit. Then you could talk hands free and when you get out of the svx, heaven forbid, you take it with ya.

But the holes are very small and i have worked then back into place so they are not noticable. accept by me of course.

wayne

sith
07-25-2001, 02:36 PM
My bigger concern was - does anybody make a digital car-only phone? All the ones I've seen are analog, and analog is hella expensive these days, at least around here...

oneothefewproud
07-25-2001, 02:44 PM
I am not sure. I will hunt around and let you know.
Wayne

sith
07-25-2001, 04:45 PM
Hrm, so this thread got my curious. I went out and pulled the antenna off the rear window, and then started hunting for the power source for the no-longer-installed phone. I can't figure it out. I pulled off the passenger side lining in the trunk, and found what I think is the preinstalled cell power source - a clear plastic connector on the floor. It wasn't plugged into anything. I looked at the connector in the console, but I can't trace where it runs to. I have given up and admitted defeat to the car ... anybody have ideas about where else a cell phone might be drawing power?

eddycat2000
07-25-2001, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by sith
Hrm, so this thread got my curious. I went out and pulled the antenna off the rear window, and then started hunting for the power source for the no-longer-installed phone. I can't figure it out. I pulled off the passenger side lining in the trunk, and found what I think is the preinstalled cell power source - a clear plastic connector on the floor. It wasn't plugged into anything. I looked at the connector in the console, but I can't trace where it runs to. I have given up and admitted defeat to the car ... anybody have ideas about where else a cell phone might be drawing power?

Poor guy! (just kidding) Try taking out the entire interior, (including carpets) of a legacy to install a main harness only to find out that the very last few connectors on the harness are missing...then you get to put the car back together and tell the customer the parts department screwed up.:rolleyes:

As for where they drew the power supply from, the easiest would probably be the radio supply...they like me probably had never heard of the cell phone plug.;)

sith
07-25-2001, 07:01 PM
Well, there is a spare plug in the trunk, maybe its not a cell phone plug, but it looks to be split off the lead thats either going to the window washer pump or the brake lights, I couldn't tell (its hard to fit yourself in the trunk..).

I think you're probably right about it being hooked into the radio wiring harnass, though I dont think I'll pull the radio to check.

Ron Mummert
07-25-2001, 09:15 PM
Sith, I sold analog "car" phones in the early '90's. You must have a control unit somewhere. It's about the size & shape of a small tranny cooler, at least the OKI unit was. We installed some in the trunk, but others were put under the passenger's side floor carpeting. That's where I put the one I had in my Chrysler. It was hard to tell it was there unless you knew it. Happy hunting - Tsu.

SubaruSVXCrazy
02-26-2008, 07:18 AM
Bumping an old thread. :D
I was reading the "Our New Look Subaru" brochure and I read phone wiring. Is there? If so were is it? It crazy that a 92 would even think about anything like that. How does it work? (Through the radio speakers? Idk) I'm interested in hearing about this.

shotking
02-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Mine has the old school phone still mounted in it. If i can get an oppurtunity i'll post pics. Its very clean and kindy goofy looking so i decided not to remove it. It makes this strange car just a little bit stranger.

ensteele
02-26-2008, 08:02 AM
The wires are in the trunk. It is nothing that is really functional for our phones now. :o

SubaruSVXCrazy
02-26-2008, 08:36 AM
How did it used to work? Are the wires linked to anything?

SubaruSVXCrazy
02-26-2008, 08:39 AM
What about back in they day. Did the dealers wire it up?

RSVX
02-26-2008, 08:51 AM
For true "Car Phones" not todays Cell.

SVXdc
02-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Back in the early 90s, mobile phones consisted of a wired handset in a cradle (usually mounted on the passenger side of the transmission hump) and a separate transceiver unit, typically in the trunk (near the antenna, which would be on the trunk lip or rear glass).

The connector in the SVX was simply to provide power for a transceiver unit. There was no other wiring up to the dash area.

Typically this type of phone was installed by the cellular phone companies or authorized agents (e.g., car stereo shops).

See these threads for pics and more info:

Pre wired fro cellular phone (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36219)
What's this connector for? (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38573) (posts 1 and 16)

AndrewR
02-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Well, if you want one, my newly acquired SVX appears to still have 75% of the equipment still installed.

The holster on the console is there, just apart, mic is on the visor, and a module the size of a small DVD player in the trunk.

Ancient equipment I am sure.

SubaruSVXCrazy
02-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Well, if you want one, my newly acquired SVX appears to still have 75% of the equipment still installed.

The holster on the console is there, just apart, mic is on the visor, and a module the size of a small DVD player in the trunk.

Ancient equipment I am sure.

They said that there was different phone companies that did it. Is there any evidence of what company? Is the modual hidden? Can I see some pictures of all these things? Thanks, I'm interested.

AndrewR
02-26-2008, 11:05 AM
They said that there was different phone companies that did it. Is there any evidence of what company? Is the modual hidden? Can I see some pictures of all these things? Thanks, I'm interested.

Kinda hidden, you have to look under the rear deck area, between the rear speakers to see it. I'll peek and see what brand it is.

shotking
02-26-2008, 11:15 AM

I have the paper work that came with mine. Panasonic.

AndrewR
02-27-2008, 05:49 PM
http://spda-online.ca/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/albuo13/DSCF4324.sized.jpg

Really high tech eh!