PDA

View Full Version : Svx Radio Removal

Shadowyng
07-22-2001, 05:15 PM
Here's how I figured out to remove my radio. There may be better ways to do it, but this worked out for me!

Here's the deal. Granted, even though I have the dealership manuals there was no well explained technique!

I will preface all by saying it was trial and error, but am happy that I broke NOTHING or damage the car! I was amazed too...

I found first that I had to remove the backing of the drop face off. I took the backing off by just prying it with a small flat head screw driver. That allowed me to remove the black rim cover that surrounds the edges of the units. There are two plastic hooks that are located behind that plate on the top right and left coner. Grab the top of the plate and push down gently and it will pop. Remember not to push hard enough unitl you hear plastic break! (easier said than done)

After that is off. there are four phillips screws, two on the top and two on the bottom. Those are the only things holding the radio(the metal chasis which contains the receiver and the cd player) in the car.

This is where I believe that many of us got to, and were afraid to continue. The chasis does move a bit and does meet with some resistance to leave its home(like a hermit crab from its shell). Keep the drop face cover underneath. and I found that sticking a finger in the tape deck was the only way to pull it out.

The resistance was coming from the vinly on the side of the center consol. The sides of the chasis were grabbing underneath the material and not allowing it slide out. I was ble to hard enough to get the edge of the material to bend back and get the unit out. Thats were I finally went for broke, and got out damage free, luckliy though. I was able to stick a flat head to coax the hinge of the door past the vinly that was catching. The right side of the chasis is which gave me the trouble. The hinge sticks further out and there is a plastic stop on that side which stops the door from dropping too much.

Now the good info. I know that on the 92 SVX(at least mine), by the time I measured the lenght of the current radio and the clearance of the buttons in the front, I figured that you can fit any raio that with buttons or knick knacks that stick out,the total lenght can be just shy of 7 7/8 inches. If anyone else has other numbers, please drop me a line.

Well, now that the cat is out of the bag, I supposed there will be a lot other radios for sell. ****!!!! Please buy mine though!!!! LOL!!!

E-mail if no-one can understand my rantings! It all makes sense in my world!

Spiderworm@aol.com
Shadowyng(eRic)

KEVINL
07-22-2001, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the good info I'll need that when I switch my CD player to one that works

thumper_svx
07-23-2001, 12:16 PM
Old-hands will know where I'm going now;

http://www.nodecaf.net/Gavin/svx-sound.html

I wrote it three years ago now... but the info's valid (except for the snipping the antenna leads bit... that bit was rather hasty on my part).

FYI, the two antenna leads both have connectors on the right-side of the drivers-side footwell behind the carpet. You can disconnect them without snipping!

Hope this helps anyone else out there!

sk8ing19
07-23-2001, 12:44 PM
I have been looking at removing my radio and installing a Kenwood CD/GPS system instead of the factory unit. However I have yet to remove my stock unit. My question to you is. How much room is behind the stock system? The unit I am looking to install is the same depth as a normall cd player, and the same height as the curent unit. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Aredubjay
07-23-2001, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by sk8ing19
I have been looking at removing my radio and installing a Kenwood CD/GPS system instead of the factory unit. However I have yet to remove my stock unit. My question to you is. How much room is behind the stock system? The unit I am looking to install is the same depth as a normall cd player, and the same height as the curent unit. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Look at shadowyng's first post, he gives you dimensions. There is also the consideration of any knobs clearing the door on the unit.

sk8ing19
07-23-2001, 12:59 PM
Thanks

Over looked that before

**92SVX**
08-03-2001, 10:03 AM
And, once you've managed to pull the entire assembly out of the IP...install a Legacy P120 (weather band) head and the OEM 6-disc, in dash, changer. A very nice upgrade...and you can't tell the difference.

:)

nvrmore100
08-03-2001, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by sk8ing19
Thanks

Over looked that before

Just about and DIN size stereo will fit fine. I doubt you will have anything that will stick out to far and hit the front door of the bracket. My Kenwood Mp3 player though is at the furthest limit in space. The amp fins on the back of the stereo are literally within a few millimeters from the back. I found this out the hard way when it keep shorting out, dumbass at Soundtrack didn't put it in very well. :rolleyes:

One thing to remember though. If you are geting the GPS system, I would assume it would have one of the pop out 5" screens? If so make sure that it will be able to extend out and clear the dash as it lifts up. Chances are it wont, because the system is inset into the dash. This would mean either it would sit tilted and you couldn't barely see it, or it would keep trying to open up and break some of the gears off doing it. You can however put into the bottom section of the bracket and leave the top section free. This may help with the clearence issue. However you will notice the bottom section actually has less depth space than the top does.

As for removing the bracket from the console. I found if you stick a butter knife on the right side hinge for the bracket while it's closed, and then open the door. It will now slide out with out any issues. It's like it expands or something when it opens. This will prevent it from sticking on the piece of dash. Took me like 20 min to figure that one out as I didn't want to break mine either. :D

Ryan

Aredubjay
08-03-2001, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by **92SVX**
And, once you've managed to pull the entire assembly out of the IP...install a Legacy P120 (weather band) head and the OEM 6-disc, in dash, changer. A very nice upgrade...and you can't tell the difference.

:)

Ooooooo. Can you get us a "factory" discount. Hmmmm. I'm into stock, but, this is tantalizing. And I thought I'd never have anything from a Legacy in my car again. :D

**92SVX**
08-03-2001, 12:35 PM
better email me...

nvrmore100
08-03-2001, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Ooooooo. Can you get us a "factory" discount. Hmmmm. I'm into stock, but, this is tantalizing. And I thought I'd never have anything from a Legacy in my car again. :D

Hmm does sound pretty nice. I have a 10 disc changer in my Sunfire and admit I love it. HOWEVER, this new MP3 player is the best. One cd holds more than my entire 10 disc combined, and no need to change discs when the songs run out. I can usually get about 145 or so songs on one cd. Also I can store pretty much my entire MP3 collection on 2 cd's. Not too shabby.

Ryan