PDA

View Full Version : rear-end thump

Lasher
03-11-2003, 09:32 PM
this happens (the thump from the rear-end), usually when turning the wheel deep, and seemingly at slow speeds. I believe the same happens when manually downshifting (though it is an automatic)... I'm not certain, though, as the concept frightens me, so I don't downshift like that. My svx has had this symptom as long as I've had it (about 3 1/2 years). I don't think it's gotten worse in that time, but it is hard to tell, as it would have happened over time. I've been told a crack in the rear axle once, and a couple times been told a rear-something mount.. teehee, let me know, please.

Also, my battery corrodes really really fast.. should I just replace the battery and cables?

Thanks,
~Nick nickfrescas@hotmail.com

Earthworm
03-12-2003, 02:35 PM
Sounds like the rear differential mount. At least that's what happened to my Justy.

As for the battery terminals, try some baking soda.

Lasher
03-12-2003, 09:31 PM
that helps about the rear differential mount. How much does that sort of thing cost?

as for the baking soda, I did that, and it was bad again the next day.. It bothers me because it causes my power-locks to freeze up in either the locked or unlocked position.. grrr

lee
03-13-2003, 01:14 PM
If the battery is loading up with corrosion that fast it seems highly likely to me that the seal around the post to the plastic case has failed, and the acid fumes are rising around the post.

Only solution I know of is to replace the battery.

Happens sometimes as they age, or if someone was unkind to the battery cable and trying to twist it off before sufficiently unloosening the clamp.

nickhawaii
03-25-2003, 02:28 AM
if it is the rear diff mounts -- there are two of them -- replace both, they are not expensive parts about 30 buck from Sube parts. I just had mine replaced, the labor will be a killer, rather involved bit of work according to my tech. I dare say that you might want to look elsewhere in the rear suspension before going with the diff mounts. There are a number of rubber bits and bushings that would cause a thump in the turns. If the rear diff bushings are really the culprit you will be experiencing a lot of vibration from the center console as the vibrations travel along the driveshaft and rattle that ever so sensitive tranny. Good luck.

Aloha

Nick