PDA

View Full Version : click, click

nickhawaii
03-11-2003, 12:33 AM
now what...I mean, Aloha!

this morning, as usual she starts without complaint. Beautiful Honolulu morning, light traffic on Nimitz Hway. Then I hear a clicking noise coming from the car next to me. To my horror, the car behind me has a similar clicking noise, sounds like a touring bike is coasting next to me, definitely coming from the front. Only when the car is moving -- and not all the time either. any thoughts?

Mahalo Nui Loa

Nick

benebob
03-11-2003, 06:53 AM
Does the clicking increase as the speed increases. First suggestion would be to check for a cracked boot on your DOJ (or CV) joints. If you crack a boot and all the greese leaks out it should be quite easy to spot. Just lie under the car and look at the 1/2 axles coming out of the tranny and going to the wheels. There are two black rubber boots over the joints on each side. One on the inside of the axle and the other on the outside. If its clicking the joint needs replaced instead of just the boot. I would suggest replacing the whole 1/2 axle since the rubber tends to wear at the same rate and if one just went the other one probably isn't too far behind. You can just replace the joint and boot (maybe $50 in parts) but its the labor that is the same regardless of if you replace the boot and joint or the whole axle. Make sure you get a good rebuilt axle if you do the whole thing. A lot of companies make crap and you'll end up replacing it in 2 years again if not sooner. All said and told you'll be looking at $250-400 for the axle and labor. The labor itself is probably $150 of it. I increased the price slightly since you're way out on those expensive islands and all.