PDA

View Full Version : The US $ vs the CDN peso

4TUN8 1
02-09-2003, 12:10 PM
What's the difference between SVX's living north vs south of the border? PRICE! If you want to start laughing really really hard, try the Canadian Auto Trader site (CanadaTrader.com). Go to Cars, then select a Province (Alberta); type make, model and watch the fun start. For those of you who couldn't be bothered, there is a '96 in Edmonton with 110,000 Km's (68,000 miles). No accidents; one owner; full history ... a solid nice car recently traded in on a Benz. Asking $28,900. Gee, then we get to pay 7% GST tax on top of that since it's at a dealer = $30,923. Ok, so the CDN dollar is worth only 56 cents US. Fact is, we still earn and spend our dollars in CDN funds.

Anyway, using this absurdity as motivation, I took my '96 (with less miles and in better shape) over to the Porsche dealer on Saturday with a printout of the CanadaTrader ad sitting on the passenger seat and asked them to give me a trade in price on either a new or slightly used Boxster. After inspecting and driving the SVX, they came back and couldn't give me a number because they really have no idea how to price it. So I just point at the ad and tell them that's what it's worth to me. They will have an answer for me in a couple of days. Blue book price in Canada is about $20,000 to $22,500. If they price it in the high twenties, I might just abandon ship. Difficult decision since I really love the SVX, but $'s are $'s.

ensteele
02-09-2003, 10:00 PM
They seem to sell for much higher in Canada. I was looking at 1994 and he wanted about 1 1/2 to 2 times as much as it was worth around here. I guess if someone can get that for them, go for it. ;) :)

Earthworm
02-11-2003, 06:23 PM
hmmm...maybe I should go into business importing US based SVX's into Canada and selling them at a healthy profit!!!

vkykam
02-11-2003, 06:25 PM
They're more up here, for sure...

But whoever is asking the $28kCDN will be asking it til the cows come home.

I'm asking ONLY a million bucks on my townhome, if anyone's interested... :D

VK
Eh!