PDA

View Full Version : ~600RPM in Drive???

alacrity024
02-01-2003, 05:36 AM
okay, I'm not sure if this is new or not, but it just piqued my curiousity and my paranoia..

if I'm driving along at whatever speed, and I'm not going uphill or anything, and i let off the gas to sort of coast, it seems like the car goes into neutral and the revs drop down well below 1000. There's no noticable "snap" when I get back on the gas or anything.. is this normal?

-adam

immortal_suby
02-01-2003, 06:23 AM
Mine does this when the TC is unlocked. If TC is locked up revs do not drop when I let off the gas.

Andy
02-01-2003, 02:41 PM
Sounds normal to me, but I never go fast enough to get lock-up

Tim
02-01-2003, 06:52 PM
I dont mean to sound stupid, but what's it mean for the torque convertor to lock up?

Subafreak
02-01-2003, 08:25 PM
It means the tork converter dosn't slip any more, it provides kind of a direct link from the motor to the tranny usually only occurs at highway speeds in top gear where the car has enough momentum to accelerate with out converter slipage, and it saves on gas.

gcookaustin
02-01-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Subafreak
It means the tork converter dosn't slip any more, it provides kind of a direct link from the motor to the tranny usually only occurs at highway speeds in top gear where the car has enough momentum to accelerate with out converter slipage, and it saves on gas.

When the car is going up a hill, with the RPMs kinda high, and the TC locks up, is that much worse than if going down a hill and the TC locks up?

DavieGravy
02-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Mine only does this when the tranny's too cold to shift into 4th.