PDA

View Full Version : Sporadic Idle & Hesitation

nikkihorz
01-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Wondering if anyone has an idea what might be the problem.

My 92 SVX has an uneven idle, expecially on colder days. It has even misfire the idle was so rough. However sometimes the engine runs fine!
The engine also likes to hesitate, usually when changing speeds. It feels like I am driving over little bumps and my rpms/speed decreases.
I do not know if this is related, but my check engine light comes on sometimes, but only when I first start the car and only for a couple seconds to a minute.
My car also initially failed NJ emissions test, because of high hydrocarbons. This was after new spark plugs, fuel and air filter. It (barely) passed after I added injector cleaner.
I have a feeling the problem is not a large one, I just need to find it. I unhooked my battery overnight in a effort to reset the computer, but I still felt the an uneven idle.

Hope someone has advice! Thanks

Earthworm
01-17-2003, 04:38 PM
You need to check that code!

Instructions (http://dcss.dyn.dhs.org/svx_iw/codes/engine/)

fasteract
01-31-2003, 05:39 AM
......I had my MAF sensor start to go at 105K miles, giving me these intermittent symptoms. Checking my intermittent "Check Engine: code, that's exactly what it told me. Sometimes tapping the MAF with a screwdriver handle while your car is idling will cause symptoms- drop in rpms, stalling. NAPA had a generic replacement for around $90 3 years ago, I believe.

Agree with checking code...

Craig

Green1995SVX
01-31-2003, 05:47 AM
Those symptoms could be caused by one of any number of things. I recommend you check those codes. That's what the system is there for. :)

Mike