PDA

View Full Version : Resistor mod was underwhelming

Vern!
07-09-2001, 08:59 AM
We tried the resistor mod on my SVX this weekend. I did not like it at all. It made my car feel like it was accelerating slower. Feeling the gear change was nice. The slight deceleration of the car while the gears were changing was not. I don't see how anyone would like this. The only thing that stopped me from immediately plugging the resistor back in was that we were on the freeway. As soon as we stopped I undid the mod.

nvrmore100
07-09-2001, 09:03 AM
I had the same reaction when I did it on mine. Although I really didn't feel the hard shifts that everyone is talking about...maybe its just me. However I did notice the "feels slower" effect. I found off the line, it almost appeared to get going slower than before. My time slips comfirmed this by a consistant 0.4s slower time in all cases with it done. Put it back, and the 0.4s was back. Hmm, wierd.

1994SubaruSVX
07-09-2001, 11:42 AM
that likes this mod. i like the crisp shifts and my car feels faster. maybe it is because my car is front wheel drive and there is no delay in the power getting to the wheels?? anyway sorry you guys didnt like the mod. but i do : )

KEVINL
07-09-2001, 01:17 PM
I am with you brother I would not own my car if there wasnt this mod

Red SVX 92
07-10-2001, 12:46 AM
I just tried it tonite.... I honestly don't feel any difference in shifting during upshifts.... down shifts are a pain... the car get squirmy when revs get down to 1000-2000.... still trying it out though...

zsvx
07-10-2001, 06:56 PM
I was a fan of this mod as well until I found out about the crazy behavior exhibited if the car is not in 'D'. I like driving in '3' and manually upshifting/downshifting too much and in my opinion that gives a much better driving experience than unplugging that resistor.

1994SubaruSVX
07-11-2001, 09:09 AM
in the last Sports Compact Car that is was really bad for an automatic tranmission to be manually shifted. of course they gave reasons to support their statement but it was much too technical for me. i agree with kevin. the car feels great, shifts great, and response in my opinion is much improved.

zsvx
07-11-2001, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
in the last Sports Compact Car that is was really bad for an automatic tranmission to be manually shifted.

I don't understand why this would be since technically I'm not shifting it, I'm telling the transmission my preference then it does its thing. I would think that if it was that terrible for the transmission that the manufacturer wouldn't allow you to do this in the first place.

Can someone clarify this for us?

1994SubaruSVX
07-11-2001, 04:45 PM
the clutch plates....damn i cannot remember the article. i sure someone will know at least why the allow you to choose your gear. i am sure it has something to do with driving up steep grades or in adverse weather. sorry i guess i am not much help....:confused:

tober76b
07-11-2001, 07:13 PM
i use the manual shifting for when i don't want it to shift or for that feeling of power.
for example:
i know that i'm going to be passing someone shortly, so i downshift to 2 from 3. when the passing time comes, the response is quicker since i just eliminated the downshift that would've occurred. it also seems like a more controllable acceleration -- less jerk and more fine tuning.
furthermore, it just feels like you have more power driving around in the higher rpms. compare 35mph in D to 35mph in 2. driving in D feels wimpy, while driving in 2 feels like you've got alot of power under the hood.
that sums up why i do it.
toby

Red SVX 92
07-11-2001, 07:59 PM
^^ that about sums up why I enjoy shifting thru the gear selectors.

However, if it's bad for the car... hmm... would anyone be kind enough to transcribe that article for me? The new SCC is already on the shelf, and I don't have a subscription. If anyone can do it, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I think the resistor mod's not for me. I enjoy using the gear selector, and I can't stand how the car gets squirmy when not in D. Also, I don't notice it shifting any faster than usual. I usually drive in 2000-3500, with redlining or at least 5000 reached at least once every time I drive.

But it seems that most of the people that enjoy this mod use D most of the time. I'm used to dropping the gears down to 2 on the street, and I can't handle the car getting squirmy every time I coast. But if I kept it in D, I'd definitely keep the resistor unplugged.

zsvx
07-12-2001, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Red SVX 92
However, if it's bad for the car... hmm... would anyone be kind enough to transcribe that article for me?Actually I was hoping for another source (eddycat) to clarify this :D Maybe I'll post it in the garage forum.

1994SubaruSVX
07-12-2001, 12:27 PM
tomorrow and post some information on what level 10 said.