PDA

View Full Version : svx that really flies (aircraft conversion)

Drew Schumann
01-11-2003, 01:01 PM
My wife and I are building an SVX that really flies. I mean literally. We are building a high performance short take off and landing (STOL) aircraft known as a "BearHawk". It carries 4 people plus 2 really little people or 200 pounds of luggage, does close to 160 mph in flight and will take off and land in about a 100 feet.

We are planning to find a totalled or otherwise eligible SVX donor car to provide the engine and associated electronics. I will tear down, inspect and overhaul the engine, but otherwise will put it into the aircraft stock, including the electronics suite. I would also like a closer look at seats, gages, etc., to see what could be recycled to equip the aircraft interior.

We are financially challenged (And we're building an airplane????) but we need the airplane to fulfill our life's ambition. Any help with finding a good donor car would be appreciated.

Thank you very much for your help in this matter.

Drew & Ellen

Please reply via this e-mail: drewschumann@yahoo.com

Noir
01-11-2003, 03:10 PM
Your Murderer!

ensteele
01-11-2003, 04:47 PM
or Grim Reeper :(

CGLathrop
01-11-2003, 04:58 PM
They want a totaled SVX.. If its a complete wreck.. then think of it as the afterlife for an SVX. I dont think they would take a perfectly good SVX and cut it up.. at least I hope thats not the case...

Chris

Drew Schumann
01-12-2003, 06:44 AM
I wouldn't think of killing a perfectly good SVX... That and I want it as cheap as possible, so I don't want it in very good shape. AND, once I get everything I want out of it, I will, of course, part the remainder out to try to get my money back out of it.

Have you ever driven on a long, winding road, where your vehicle just seemed to be not connected to the road? Trust me, your car would like nothing better than to be able to fly, and I just want to give it that opportunity. Like the proceeding post says, it gives your SVX another life. From what I've seen, Subaru engines last nearly forever, with the result that most engines end up as stuck and corroding in junkyards. All I want is to turn one of these "dead-end" engines into something for our family to enjoy and use far into the future.

Thanks for responding. I'll be lurking until the right one comes my way.

Drew

alacrity024
01-12-2003, 07:13 AM
drew-

i support your decision and am enthralled by the possibility of an SVX powering an STOL vehicle. I will keep my eyes peeled for you, and god forbid my car should somehow get totalled (knock on woodgrain), I'll gladly offer my motor to your cause. unless of course i decide to make an svx-powered dune buggy :D

-adam

CigarJohnny
01-12-2003, 07:17 AM
Mmmmmmmmmm...SVX powered dune buggy...

:D:D

wasions
01-12-2003, 12:48 PM
Drew
Welcome to the Network, from an old Iowa City High graduate ('69).

Are you looking to build a Skyjack? I was looking around, and found that Steve Jackovich was born in Newton (raised in Bettendorf). It looks like a pretty cool plane!

There is locally, a '92 SVX with leather interior and a well-used body, for something under $4500, but I assume you're hoping to pay a lot less than that.

Best of luck with your project.

oab_au
01-12-2003, 05:57 PM
Drew, are you going to keep the wet sump, or change to a dry sump.

Harvey. ;)

Drew Schumann
01-12-2003, 06:11 PM
The point of this experiment is to attempt to install the engine as stock as possible. The theory is that modern automotive powerplants are advanced enought that they no longer need the sort of prep traditionally given to them when being converted. What they do need is extremely careful electron management. And a good redrive system.

FYI, I'll probably going with the stock ignition and fuel system, in addition to a Marcotte redrive.

Thanks for the question.

Drew

oab_au
01-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Drew Schumann
The point of this experiment is to attempt to install the engine as stock as possible. The theory is that modern automotive powerplants are advanced enought that they no longer need the sort of prep traditionally given to them when being converted. What they do need is extremely careful electron management. And a good redrive system.

FYI, I'll probably going with the stock ignition and fuel system, in addition to a Marcotte redrive.

Thanks for the question.

Drew

Only have flowen on two wheels. What happens when you tip it on it's side, and centrifugal force demishes to let the oil drop down the cylinders, to fill the undersides of the pistons?

Harvey. ;)

wasions
01-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by oab_au

Only have flowen on two wheels. What happens when you tip it on it's side, and centrifugal force demishes to let the oil drop down the cylinders, to fill the undersides of the pistons?

Harvey. ;) My guess is that the only time that would be a problem would by in flying upside-down. Centrifugal force will do that same thing on our engines during hard cornering, such as on a skidpad. Most of the time that a plane is banking, centrifigal force overcomes gravity to keep the oil right where it should be. At least that's what I would think to be true.

wasions
01-12-2003, 07:06 PM
During my initial (and cursory) search, I ran into a site where a guy was having problems with his stock-like SVX engine getting his plane off the ground. Something about the wrong propeller pitch and stuff. Thanks to this internet thing, seems like others are solving our problems for of us. :) (Like right here. :D )

Drew Schumann
01-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Good question. Wet sumps are quite common in non-aerobatic aircraft. Frankly, they can do just about any maneuver for a limited period of time. Your oil control/scraper ringers ensure nothing bad happens to the cylinder. I owned a BMW and Ural motorcycle that had "Boxer" engines in them and they also had no problems, unless you laid them on their sides for more than overnight.

Hydraulic lock is no laughing matter.

Drew

jscorse
01-13-2003, 04:49 AM
Drew and wife.. you both are my hero. As a lover of flight AND the SVX (and building stuff) I can think of think of nothing better that to be able to enjoy BOTH at the same time!

And to build it yourselves....well that's just the icing on the cake! Now if only I can convince MY wife to let me do the same. For now it's cabinet making for the home and model planes, but someday....maybe a REAL plane...oh that would just be wonderful.... :))

Good luck in your search, I am certain an engine is out there.

As a water cooled engine you'll have your work cut out for you to route the cooling system.

Is the BearHawk 'kit' meant for a water cooled engine?

Mr. Pockets
01-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Drew, I wish you the best of luck building your plane. Someday I hope to build my own, and it'd be icing on the cake to put a Subaru engine in it.

Keep us up-to-date on your prject, please!

Drew Schumann
01-13-2003, 09:17 PM
Subaru makes some really kick-butt homebuilt airplane conversions. I know of many folks flying behind one. They are light, powerful and rock-solid dependable. As far as liquid-cooling, it's just as difficult to develop an air-cooled installation. AND air cooled engines develop problems unique to them.

As far as locating the radiator, etc., the way to ensure trouble-free cooling is to either a) set up a venturi in the nose, or b) put the radiator as far back on the fuse as possible. This allows most of the heat energy to dissipate, and certain aircraft have been built that lack a radiator entirely; they just use the water lines running to the tail and back for cooling.

I love airplanes; I'm an A&P/Avionics mechanic, and my wife is a pilot, training for her IFR rating. We are truly made for each other. Thanks for the messages.

Drew

jscorse
01-14-2003, 04:41 AM
in the heavens... Sounds too good to be true.

Good for you and PLEASE PLEASE keep us (or at least ME) posted on your adventure.

b3lha
01-14-2003, 09:51 AM
People have done this before....

http://www.sdsefi.com/air31.htm
http://www.sdsefi.com/air34.htm

What I would like to see is someone fit an aircraft engine in their SVX :D

GreenMarine
01-15-2003, 11:42 AM
since it would be made from an SVX, wouldn't he be able to come to one of the meets (quicker and easier) and show off his flying contraption along with our cars?!?!?! I think that it would be cool:cool: :cool: :D

wasions
01-15-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
since it would be made from an SVX, wouldn't he be able to come to one of the meets (quicker and easier) and show off his flying contraption along with our cars?!?!?! I think that it would be cool:cool: :cool: :D

Way!

I'd give him a ride in mine, if he'd give me a ride in his! :cool:

Mr. Pockets
01-15-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by b3lha
People have done this before....

http://www.sdsefi.com/air31.htm
http://www.sdsefi.com/air34.htm

What I would like to see is someone fit an aircraft engine in their SVX :D

Well, we know that it's been done before - but we've never had somebody come to the site before they did it. This might be a great opportunity to see a project like this come together. :D