PDA

View Full Version : from AWD to RWD explained

KEVINL
07-06-2001, 09:17 PM
FAQ's

Why did you do this modification?

My front diff was going out and I needed my car so without spending heaps I figured if I can allow the front Diff to spin freely it will be fine. So the Idea of building a RWD SVX was born

How did you do the modification?

I took the output shaft out of the transmission removed the drums and clutches and welded the shaft solid removed the front CV axles kept the cups in the wheels to support the bearings.

How much did this cost you?

So far nothing but It was a lot of work. I am going to split the shaft in 2 balance and reweld the shaft which should be about $100

If you now have a new transmisson why is it still Rear wheel drive?

Well the Outback trany has a low gear ratio which would cause the SVX to run high Rpm at high way speeds

Can I do this my self?

Disclamer: NO I do not recomend anybody try this at home it can ruin your transmission or seriously damge it if done wrong!

What kind of power diffrence did you notice?

well the gain was signifigant I can't think of any mod to a SVX besides nitrous turbo or supercharger that would make as much of a power difference.

Can you do a Burnout?

Piece of cake

BTW the car handles as well if not better being RWD but a heavy right foot at the wrong time can spin you in a circle

Also I will be changing My SVX to 3.700 gear ratio in plac of the stock 3.545 ratio

John
07-07-2001, 02:46 PM
I was thinking that if you wanted to have RWD, wouldn't it be easier to convert that to a mannual tranny. I think that that would make the car lighter. I wonder if the 300zx might work, or a transmission from a nissan silva. with weight reduction and the proper transmission, the svx could be much quicker, without having to use turbos, or super expensive engine buildups. I'm sure the conversion would still cost about 7grand, but it might be worth it, to have a very unique sports car.

Seraph
07-07-2001, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by John
I was thinking that if you wanted to have RWD, wouldn't it be easier to convert that to a mannual tranny. I think that that would make the car lighter. I wonder if the 300zx might work, or a transmission from a nissan silva. with weight reduction and the proper transmission, the svx could be much quicker, without having to use turbos, or super expensive engine buildups. I'm sure the conversion would still cost about 7grand, but it might be worth it, to have a very unique sports car.

Correct me if I am wrong here but Dont you think the SVX by itself is unique? Or is it just my SVX? :D
Lwin