PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here Auto-X?

ChrisR
01-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Just wondering. I have been looking around the site for a while, and just really like SVX's. Anyway, there is an auto-x in Bremerton on the 26th.

Also a few quick questions:
Did any svx come w/ a 5 speed manual?

Anyone got an svx for sale for less then $1000 dollars?;) (longshot, but worth a try). PS I don't care about body damage-just has to run good.

Later,
Chris

seasvx
01-09-2003, 08:20 AM
click the search button and do one on "autocross" and another on "5 speed". You'll find quite a lot of info.

here's more:

http://www.nwautosports.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=71

http://www.smallcar.com/svx/index.htm

WestCoastSVX
01-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Chris - welcome to the Network! Good to see another Puget Sounder with some interest in the SVX. Hope you can someday become an owner, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

You are right, $1000 will be a long shot if you are looking for a good runner. If you are REALLY interested in getting a 5 speed SVX, this would be my suggestion, although it is a lot more than you are probably looking to spend: For around $1000 you MAY be able to find an SVX in not so perfect body condition with a good engine but probably a bad tranny. Take it straight to Small Car in Tacoma and spend $4000 for a 5 speed conversion. Then you've got a great runner for auto X for about $5000. Of course you could probably get better auto X cars ready to go for less than that huh? Just being realistic, to get a good running SVX they are still at least $4000 I'd say. And that is with an auto tranny, the only way they came. So if you really want the 5 speed, your looking at a bit more. And if you want one in nice condition, a lot more.

Good luck though, when they are in good condition you will never want to drive anything else! Feel free to come to one of our meets and check our cars out. I'm sure someone would let you take one for a drive, etc too. :)

svxcess
01-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Talk to NEWSVX (Harry Newman) He regularly autocrosses his red 97 SVX and does extremely well. Has photos in his locker.

ChrisR
01-09-2003, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. These SVX's have always been a dream car for me, since I could never afford one. I looked at them 3 years ago when I was getting my first car, but were way out of my price range, plus I wanted a 5 speed. Oh well, maybe I can find one cheap somewhere :o

Later all- I will keep updated on your events, and possible show up at a meet/gathering to check out your rides.

Chris

Ron Mummert
01-09-2003, 07:22 PM
A 5 speed may not be the advantage you think it would be for an autocross. Also check to see if it's considered a modification that moves you into a higher class. Harry (Newsvx), put his '97 in 1st gear & leaves it there. It'll shift to 2nd at redline anyway. His results are very good for his class.

Ron.

Earthworm
01-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Harry (Newsvx), put his '97 in 1st gear & leaves it there. It'll shift to 2nd at redline anyway. His results are very good for his class.That's what I did the one time I tried my luck at autocross. Only issue is that when it shifts to 2nd you would have to slow to 30mph before it will shift back to 1st. I would still rather have a 5/6 speed when autocrossing.

I_Alcyone_I
01-10-2003, 12:43 PM
brian at smallcar is working on a tiptronic, sportshift tranny for the svx. As soon as he releases some info on that might be something that interests you.