PDA

View Full Version : Hacking transmission to make it tiptronic?

sith
03-08-2001, 05:31 PM
Just thinking - would it be possible to hack the ecu/tcu to essentially add tiptronic abilities to an automatic transmission? Idea here would be with a simple PIC chip and some programming, you could figure out how the tcu (I assume) knows how many RPMs the engine is at, then spoof that signal when you want to change it. It would be a bit tougher if its receives that signal in digital form, since then you have to know what signal to send, but if its analog (a varying voltage), it would be real easy to change. Basically to "downshift" you would make the transmission think the engine is at 1000rpms, or to "upshift" you would tell it the engine is at 8500rpms. Obviously you wouldn't have any failsafes, so if you screwed up and dropped to 2nd gear while going 80mph, you go boom, but I'm just wondering if such a thing would even be possible.

Thoughts?

Aredubjay
03-08-2001, 06:48 PM
Not to raise a dead horse from the grave, but, I believe Level 10 is close to offering a tip-tronic system for the SVX. I'm sure it won't be cheap, though.

sith
03-08-2001, 07:16 PM
thanks to SearchableYahooArchive(woo!), looks like Blonde_man posted in feb of last year about it, but there hasn't been any updates about it really since then...

Rev Hard
03-10-2001, 10:26 AM
wouldnt it be nice? last night i down shifted from d to 3 doing 75, and when i punched it, it shifted to 2!!!! this cars gearing amazes me! WHAT the f(^*%&^ were they thinking? does this car need gearing that makes it go like 400MPH!???

{ramble off}

yeah a tiptronic would be nice, but, how about some gears?

PAUL!

GT
03-14-2001, 07:14 PM
Level 10 transmission shop apparently has an available shiftronic. they had it on my car when they did a transmission rebuild.

www.levelten.com
973-827-1000

blonde_man
03-16-2001, 08:35 PM
Check here for info on the Level 10 Tiptronic:
http://www.levelten.com/press/12_00_shifttronic.htm

Sounds like fun huh? I like "lock the torque converter on deceleration for real engine braking-like a manual shift transmission" part! The "shift feel adjuster" is just what we need to eliminate that Duty Solenoid A Resistor behind the battery. Of course you'll have so much fun with the Shiftronic that you'll soon need the heavy duty Level 10 clutches!! ;-) I don't know if this Shiftronic workswith our TORQUE CONTROL (briefly reduces engine power during each shift to lessen shift shock/damage).

Maybe I can get a hold of one, from them, to do some demo/testing!

Stay tuned!

Rev Hard
03-17-2001, 06:05 PM
get me one too huh? i need all the cool sh..tuff i can get for this car.

i would want the shift control on the wheel though like the lexus GS.

PAUL!

svxboy
03-19-2001, 01:36 AM
That is why I would opt to replace the front and rear diff units with one from a newer Outback. They use 4.44 final gear ratios while the SVX uses 3.545. This would raise RPM's at 75 mph from about 2500 rpm to 3150 rpm's. A decrease in economy would be expected, but performance would go way up and the car would be more optimized for 1/4 mi. times and beating around the city. -Greg

Subie_joe
05-02-2001, 09:44 PM
Pat at Level 10 has just installed the shifter box on the MY99RS 4EAT. The car is a turbo'd RS but the tranny is similiar to the SVX. I'll let you know how it works when the car returns from this operation ;)