PDA

View Full Version : Triptronic/Forumula

Habesha
06-28-2001, 01:21 PM
With all this talk of transmissions, I've been wondering, aside from Level 10 (I don't like the look of their system too much), does anyone know of ways to give the SVX a triptronic or F1 style shifter? That seems like the best way to take advantage of the car's power and mechanics

SVXtypeR
06-29-2001, 07:15 AM
Basically, there are Four options in order of affordability:

1. Poor man's Indycar. Tap into the ECU of the existing transmission. Use a Level10 (or similar controller box) as the interface to steering-wheel mounted rim buttons. You're taking the "cheap" way out (a'la Lexus) with an automatic-based system, but hey, it's better than nuthin'. Cost, about $300-$500.

2. The easy (but expensive) way out. Cannibalize an acutal tiptronic system from a Porsche (or equivalent from the likes of Lexus). Cut to fit (bear in mind the Porsche system is *reversed* since that car is rear-engined). Cost will vary greatly depending on the donor car. Cost, $6000-$15000.

3. Accessable by those with a big budget and the patience to match (this, incidentally, is the route I may take sometime in the future). Cannibalize and modify the Magnetti Marelli "Selespeed" trans from a Ferarri Modena or Alpha Romeo 156. The catch is, since this is a true "semi-automatic" (manual based) trans, you'll also have to canibalize the clutch-by-wire AND throttle-by-wire systems (and their ECUs) and splice them into the SVX's respective systems. Cool factor doubles (it's sequential shift), but you'll have to deal with RWD (which some inexplicably prefer ;) ) unless you want the *huge* cost of fabbing a new transmission bellhousing. Cost, circa $15,000-$25000.

4. Price-no-object. Call up Quaife or X-trac and ask them for the works. Basically, you'll get the equivalent of the WRX rally drivetrain from Quaife, from X-Trac, well... ...does the word LeMans GT1 mean anything to you? You will be a god. Cool factor goes through the roof, right along with the cost. $25000-$40000.

oh, and don't forget the paddles.:D

Habesha
06-29-2001, 07:19 AM
Level 10's shiftronic is $1k my friend. Not too pretty either - it's a betal box with four buttons (one for each gear) and a toggle for the torque converter. Not exactly the most stylish piece of hardware out there

SVXtypeR
06-29-2001, 07:26 AM
I called Pat less than two weeks ago and he gave me a figure of a couple-a-hundred dollars (memory fails, but it was around 350-450 bucks with a lead-time of a few weeks to make the unit).

...and yeah, it's ugly as $h!t...

Habesha
06-29-2001, 07:36 AM
On the web site, it's advertised for $1k... I checked out Quaife - if I only had that kind of money. Hell, I'd turn an SVX into the exotic car it was meant to be, lol.

Maybe I could wire a formula-style steering wheel with push-buttons to the Level 10 shiftronic, which I would *hide* under the seat or something?

SVXtypeR
06-29-2001, 07:59 AM
since I spent so much money there. :D

Yeah, I know what you mean about the exotic thing. Did you check out my SVXtypeR thread?

BTW- The box-under-the-seat thing was what I was talking about for option 1.

Habesha
06-29-2001, 08:37 AM
The only question now is how to wire F1 paddles/buttons to the Level 10 box (as much as I would love one of Quaife's systems, I can't spend $18k on it).

I saw the type-R post. I was thinking more of putting it on par with the Ferrari and Lamborghini crowd, lol. The right engine and transmission could do it - especially if we could ram air each engine bank seperately (the Weapon-R dragon Ram Air might be good for this)