PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the ice...

rufus
06-27-2001, 10:26 AM
Mmmmm. Like getting the first scoop of peanut butter from the top of a freshly opened jar :)

LarryIII
06-29-2001, 09:52 AM
Rufus,

Set your standards higher. Rather than Jif or Skippy; think
Canoli, Cheese Cake, or even FIg Newtons .:D

Larry III:cool:

strange179
07-06-2001, 10:00 AM
I'm here. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of other Nor' Easters' here though. There have to be more that three of us. Come on everyone, don't be shy, join in the circle now. :-)

Jerseydriver
07-13-2001, 01:04 PM
Another Noreaster in the ball game

jscorse
07-16-2001, 10:59 AM
Not too much to say locally though. I want to set up a Fall Tour this year, but I'm a gonna need some help. Nick isn't here (he set up last years). Maybe a Cape Cruise or a nice ride around the Quabbin.

Any suggestions....???

- Jeff

ehyde111
07-16-2001, 05:27 PM
I'm in the NE group too. Just got my '92 about a month ago.

kvnobrien
07-17-2001, 08:30 AM
Hey guys!
I'm from New Jersey.
I saw a bunch of SVXs down at Pt. Pleasent these past few weekends. Anybody here?

Green96LSI
08-02-2001, 01:26 PM
I got my "new to me" '96 LSI about two weeks ago. I', in Northern New Jersey. Any recommendations on Service in NJ?? An /or where to avoid!

svxcess
08-02-2001, 02:36 PM
I guess I qualify, being in Glenwood MD. There's also Ron Mummert (Tsutsuhund) in Ellicott City, MD and Olu Davis (SVXit) in Silver spring, MD. We also know there are a few lurking in the DC area (SVXtypeR, speak up)

Where do we draw the Northeast line?

Green96LSI
08-02-2001, 03:27 PM
My '96 LSi is a Ex-Maryland Car. Anybody trade their in to the dealer down there??

kvnobrien
08-03-2001, 11:08 AM
I got my "new to me" '96 LSI about two weeks ago. I', in Northern New Jersey. Any recommendations on Service in NJ?? An /or where to avoid!

Avoid Bell Subaru in Rahway NJ. I was going to this place in Freehold, King BMW, but they sold the subaru section to another dealer. I, again, am looking for a good dealership to work on my cars.

Ron Mummert
08-03-2001, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by svxcess
I guess I qualify, being in Glenwood MD. There's also Ron Mummert (Tsutsuhund) in Ellicott City, MD and Olu Davis (SVXit) in Silver spring, MD. We also know there are a few lurking in the DC area (SVXtypeR, speak up)

Where do we draw the Northeast line?

Depends on whether it's winter or summer. Ron/Tsu

Jerseydriver
08-08-2001, 01:48 PM
I use Wayne Subaru to work on my '96 Lsi

They are not too expensive and have always done right by me.

The most important thing is that they are experts

They sold more SVX's than any other dealership in NJ

The only problem is that they are very busy, you always have to leave your car there

Ask for Dean in service 973-835-4725

Good luck

PS- My in-laws live in Smoke Rise

Green96LSI
08-09-2001, 02:52 PM
I too live in Smoke Rise. There is one other SVX in the neighborhood. I called Wayne Subaru, but they quoted $1200 for the 60K service, versus $750 from Lohman in Parsippany. What work have you had done there??

Jerseydriver
08-10-2001, 08:07 AM
I had my rear bearings replaced @ $220

My doors were leaking - fixed it for $30

I have not had any other problems or needs.

What a coincidence that we both live in the same place and have the exact same car. I don't recall seeing yours around. I actually brought my '96 lsi green to Wayne @ the Smokerise gas station when I bought it to have him check it out.

Did you buy yours new? It has very low miles.

Green96LSI
08-10-2001, 04:01 PM
I got the '96 LSi about ten days ago from a Dealer in Southern New Jersey. It was very original (Not even cleaned yet!), but needed rear brake pads, and I wanted the Timing Belt and accessory belts replaced. The tires were original, and well worn. I bargained the pads, belts and an Alternator into the deal, and bought a set of Dunlop Sp5000s from EuroTire. All fresh fluids, and she is running very well.

Its my daily commuter, and is a nice change from the SUV I was driving before.

Jerseydriver
08-11-2001, 10:17 AM
Unbeleivable that you found one with such low milage.

I highly recommend switching to synthetic transmission fluid.

The tranny holds about 11 quarts all together (which is alot), but well worth it. It keeps things running cooler overall and with the track record on this transmission type you should do everything possible to keep it going.

Do you live on the lake or up in the hills?

GCT

Green96LSI
08-11-2001, 12:35 PM
I did all synthetic. The tranny got a full change with Castrol Syntec at Avis Lube, and I did the Redline in the Diffs, and Mobil One in the Engine, and Mobil Synthetic ATF in the PS.

I've got a vibration and rumble which states at 75 and ends at 85. Odd, sometimes it isn't there.

Jerseydriver
08-12-2001, 12:44 PM
Sorry to say that I think that rumble is one of the wheel bearings.

Very common problem on these cars.

Just had my rear left replaced.

If you just bought it from a dealer that should have been taken care of already since it was issued as a service bulliten.

Have it checked out

Green96LSI
11-02-2001, 02:12 PM
I just dropped my SVX over to Wayne subaru and I saw an identical Polo Green SVX in the server area. Was it yours? Mine is in for a replacement transmission!

Jerseydriver
11-02-2001, 03:22 PM
I am actually bringing my car in to Wayne tomorrow. Power streering went, I don't know whats wrong.

What happened that you need a new tranny?

Green96LSI
11-05-2001, 07:39 AM
I had my '96 Polo Green LSi at the Wayne Dealer, and saw two other Polo Green SVXs in for Repair. I'm in for a Transmission replacement. The thing started slipping badly when cold, and on hills and curves. Factory original warranty is covering the replacement!

Who has the other two? There license tags started with:

LUA (Mine)
KSP
LAL

Do these below to anybody here???

Jerseydriver
11-05-2001, 07:58 AM
I saw your car on Saturday when I was there.

How is it that you have coverage under the factory warranty on a used car?

What is covered?

Re: Smokerise - you know the house on the lake that is across from the island on the horse farm side? Thats me.

Green96LSI
11-05-2001, 12:24 PM
I checked on this prior to purchasing my SVX. The factory drivetrain warranty is goood for the period of the warranty (5/60), regardless of ownership. The Full Warranty requires a $35 transfer, and is only transferable once. My Drivetrain Warranty expires in Jan 2002 / or at 60K miles, which ever comes first.

I know there is black SVX on Gravel Hill Road. I'm on the end of Green Hill. We should take this offline and compare notes on the SVX.

Ruglet
11-10-2001, 08:33 PM
Why are you going off line? I was enjoying your chat. I'm Mobil One in the tranny and the engine. Is there a benefit in the PS fluid? I did not think that ran as hot and perceived the big benefit of synthetic as standing up longer to higher temperatures.

george miller
11-13-2001, 08:46 PM
I am a new member and have had the pleasure of owning my 92 SVX for 135k and 1 rebuilt transmission.
I recently added a 97 SVX 26k to my garage for weekends. The toyota dealer was nice enough to change the oil (only 5 quarts) and give me a full tank of gas (regular) that sent the car shuddering all the way home. I have really enjoyed some of the posts and appreciate all the work building this site must have taken. :)

Aredubjay
11-14-2001, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by george miller
I am a new member and have had the pleasure of owning my 92 SVX for 135k and 1 rebuilt transmission.
I recently added a 97 SVX 26k to my garage for weekends. The toyota dealer was nice enough to change the oil (only 5 quarts) and give me a full tank of gas (regular) that sent the car shuddering all the way home. I have really enjoyed some of the posts and appreciate all the work building this site must have taken. :)

George, Glad to have you as a member. Sorry about the dopey dealer. We seem to have a few of those.

How far are you from the Reading (Morgantown)? Be sure to sign up for the Reading meet, and bring both of your cars. We're trying to break the previous record of 25 cars at a meet. Your two would put us over. :D It's April 5-7 in Morgantown, PA. We'll be doing a covered bridge tour this year, so, it should be really neat! Please, come join us.

Ray Garrison
11-19-2001, 01:47 PM
I'm a new member, live in western Connecticut. Just found this site. Anyone else from Connecticut around here?

Ruglet
11-19-2001, 03:16 PM
Anyone else from Connecticut around here?

Ray, I've got you in brackets. NYC when I have to work and Fishers Island (ferry from New London, CT) when I don't.

Speaking of audio, I had to replace the right door speaker in the SVX, I guess I pumped too much bass through it over 10 years.