PDA

View Full Version : How many would be interested in an autocross at Clemson, SC

AbdominalSnoman
11-18-2002, 08:56 PM
Here at Clemson University about every month the sports car club holds an autocross in a parking lot. I've only been to one once and that was about two years ago, but I had a lot of fun there. If many people would be interested I could find out when the next one is and make sure that there would be enough time for as many people as said they would come to drive. It would be especially cool if all the SVXs went one after the other. I'd like to see how well this car can be pushed and also what kind of modifications end up helping the car out a lot.

The last time that I went it started at about 10:00 am on Saturday, cost either $10 or $15 to get one practice go round and then five laps for everybody in your group of about 10 cars. After all the real racing was done they had what they called fun runs where you pay $2 per lap and just run it. They still time you, but don't record the times for you. These got to be very crowded though. I only got in 3 laps before it got dark and that was in July I believe. Now that it gets dark sooner, we would almost have to be put into the groups and race the real way they intend.

If interested you can obviously reply here. Also feel free to PM me, or shoot me an email at vjasko@clemson.edu

immortal_suby
11-19-2002, 03:16 PM
I'd definitely be interested. Keep us posted on the date.

AbdominalSnoman
11-26-2002, 03:00 PM
I just talked to the president of the sports car club (funny, he turned out to be my roommates best friend and was just over at my place to see him). Anyways they won't have any more autocrosses until January at the earliest. I'll post again when I get some more dates.

greg
12-08-2002, 08:44 PM
Sounds like fun to me!:cool:

Ron Mummert
12-08-2002, 09:09 PM
Go to Personal Lockers - newsvx - Autocross. You'll all enjoy the day, guaranteed. The stock SVX does very well in its class (as long as Harry's driving it, of course)!
Ron.

iced_out_svx
12-12-2002, 04:34 AM
I'd be interested but I can't bring the SVX, being as how I sold it to Porter and all. But I can bring the CRX. When would this be?

ICE

GreenMarine
12-23-2002, 12:56 AM
I am stationed at Beaufort, SC... The USMC Air Station... I work for Explosive safety... However I am in pretty clost with the base ground safety... I was suggesting that since somany of our Marines and servicemen are getting killed in car crashes and accidents on the road, how about opening up the runway on the weekends every now and then for a friendly Autocross.... This would help to let us drive our cars the way that we want to but be somewhat safe doing it at the same time.... I figured that if I could get this to go through then I would want to have as many SVX's there as possible.... I have the only SVX on base and I get all kinds of stares when I go somewhere... .Wouldn't it be nice to take your cars out and play around abit on the Runway!!!?

At the moment it is just an idea, but like I said, If it does go through and I can get civilians on the base too, howmany might be interested in comming to wonderful Beaufort, S.C.????

svxmofo
12-31-2002, 02:11 PM
i am stationed down at moody afb georgia..and i think it would be bad ass to be able to run an autocross on a base...if you can do that greenmarine...im in...i get the same stuff..i got the only svx on base to...and so many people come up to me and ask me what it is...and so many people that just stare at it at redlights and stuff....i love this car....keep me posted on that autocross

Noir
01-16-2003, 09:06 AM
autocross sounds fun. let me know what the plan is.

GreenMarine
01-16-2003, 09:27 AM
i am sorry I should have kept up on this post. I won't be able to do anything till the situation over seas calms down a bit. right now the squadrons are flying nonstop almost everyday of the week. so the runway will not be able to be used.... sorry

AbdominalSnoman
01-16-2003, 10:50 PM
Hello again everybody, I haven't been on this board (or any board, or even on the internet at all. . . since the middle of December) I heard the the first AX at clemson won't happen until February. I'll keep you guys posted when I hear some more.

Noir
01-17-2003, 10:19 PM
thank you snoman. since greensvxmarine can't get his act together, i'm glad you came through. this is absurd that we can't use the airforce base runway! that is our tax dollars at work. what do we pay you for greenmarine? :D

you want calm? YOU WANT CALM?

<Harry picks up the phone and starts speed dialing Saddam and Kim Jong II.>

gimme a minute :D

<minutes pass...>

damn! Saddam is off racing his SVX on their runways and Kim Jong II is Turboing his SVX.........

Noir
01-23-2003, 06:19 PM
darn it, where did the marine go? i was waiting for a witty remark!

GreenMarine
01-24-2003, 06:22 AM
And Greenmarine is off saving the country... his SVX is "sleeping" in NC at the moment... That's right, I am still here Noir, I'll not be shut out that quickly!! How y adoing Noir?? good to see ya too... if ya want to hear my latest story check out the general Babble section in about 30 min. and you can read all about it... I think I'll call it SVX ran from a Jeep..... yep that's it!!! well catch ya later man!!

AbdominalSnoman
01-27-2003, 10:31 PM
OK, I'm pretty busy now but I'll paste what was in the email from the Clemson Sports Car Club. I'm not sure that I'll have time to make the one this saturday, but I probably will. Post here if you think that you would want to go, and I'll do my best to make it there.

Here are the dates that we will hold autoX's. We have a total of 7 races
scheduled for the semester. 5 Saturday races, and two Sunday races. The
first Sunday race will be for points, the second will only be used if one
or more of the Saturday dates gets rained out. We will have at least 5
points races for the semester. We will use the points system from last
semester, but will reset the points for the new semester. Here are the race
dates.

Saturday 2/1
Saturday 2/8
Sunday 2/16
Satruday 3/15
Sunday 3/23
Saturday 3/29
Saturday 4/12

We also have the lot on four additional Sundays. These follow a Saturday
race, and will be used as days to hold qualifying on our club car, or free
events such as driver training schools, etc. What we will do on these days
still remains undecided.

any questions you can post here or get a quicker response by emailing vjasko@statecom.net

Noir
01-28-2003, 02:15 PM
i think i'll go to the one on 2/8 on up. my car's in the shop for the week.

greenmarine's saving the country...yeah right. read your thing a while back, your not saving the country, your stalking svx owners :D

besides we don't need to be saved. USA is unstoppable. we ain't getting attacked.

just started seeing the people start protesting. i plan on protesting the protestors. going to make a sign that says WE NEED WAR! PEACE IS BORING.

GreenMarine
01-29-2003, 06:28 AM
I support you completly Noir!!! We do need war, I am bored out of my mind!! I wannt go kill something!!!! My marine corps life so far has been nothing but tranning, I wanna go Kill SOMETHING!!!!!

Noir
01-29-2003, 03:04 PM
yeah greenmarine, i'll probably be sniping the protestors as they enter to vandalize my sign. i need to put up another sign, "PRIVATE PROPERTY - DO NOT FEAR THE DOGS, FEAR THE OWNER. YOU WILL BE SHOT UPON ENTRY!"

i had a girlfriend that worked at yerkes a few years back (yerkes is an animal research facility right by emory university) and she told me that protestors smashed through the police chief's car, some tried to harass and assault employees (some female) that worked there. sissys don't have enough balls to attack me, i'd bury them. i hate those worthless protestors that do nothing but whine and take action against people that don't have a choice. i'm for animal testing, my father died from cancer, i hope that one day we have a cure. protestors <spits> BAH!

AbdominalSnoman
02-01-2003, 11:09 PM
Hey guys, Sorry I dropped the ball on this weekends autocross. I wasn't sure if anyone was wanting to come and I didn't post directions or times, but I am pretty sure that at least I and my friend with a WRX will be there next Saturday. The registration starts at 9:00am I'm pretty sure and the racing starts at 11:00am. They had about 8 groups of about 6 - 8 cars run 5 laps each last time and got done about 5:00 or so. After this they had fun runs that were basically everybody lined up and they just kept running cars until it got dark. (they don't have car classes or anything serious like that here, It's mostly just for fun)

This is held at the parking lot below the football stadium, right by the university police station. To get there from Interstate 85 take Hwy 76 (exit 19b) go about 10 miles and go left on Hwy 93 (not really a highway, but a 25-35mph road) and at the 6th stoplight turn left and you should see the parking lot in about 1/2 a mile on your left.

AbdominalSnoman
02-06-2003, 10:47 PM
OK, Unless some freaky thing happens (like my valve cover leak becoming a downpour) I am very sure that I will be at the autocross this Saturday (2/8/03) look in the above post to find the directions. It's nothing very serious, just a bunch (probably 50 - 100) of people that like cars and want to really be able to see what they can do. Last time that I went I owned my SVX for a month so I was pretty crappy at driving, so don't feel bad if you don't feel like you are up to par.

Also, I was really busy and didn't have much time to check my email before the last one so Noir showed up late. In case something like that happens again, and you have something that you need to ask me you can call me at (864) 525-8904. Preferably after 9pm since I think I have already gone over my monthly minutes in the last two weeks, but don't feel bad to call me before then if you need to.

Noir
02-10-2003, 08:55 PM
well if time permits, i will go out there this upcoming weekend. don't know if i'll take the svx there, still needs a few calipers (on order) and need to break in the axles, rotors, brakes, bearings, etc (all newly installed). although i'd like to find out what that rattling noise i hear is and get it fixed first. i may show up in a rental and test out the course :D

i wanna see if i can beat the kiddies :D been a while since i drifted and i've been getting an itch for it ;D

AbdominalSnoman
02-10-2003, 09:59 PM
You don't have to race the SVX or bother with getting a rental. They have a club car (83ish Mazda RX7) with a lot of stuff done to it. I don't know if you need to be a member to drive it, but even if you do it is not to expensive to become one. It costs $15 to race that day, or $20 to be a member and everytime you come back it costs $5 to race. The best driver in the RX7 beat my SVX by about 4 seconds which is quite a lot considering that the course averaged about 40 seconds. (my best time was 41.02 Seconds). That car looks like $h!t but runs pretty well. Next time I plan to drive it instead of my baby.