PDA

View Full Version : upgrading front speakers

SVXMAN2001
06-26-2001, 06:14 PM
I plan on getting front speakers for the svx this friday. I was just wondering what size they were, 6 by 9's right? And what brand would one suggest. I have been looking into cerwin vega, do most brands fit right into the place where the existing speakers are? How would one go about installing front speakers? thanks in advance

chris
92 claret/black svx

Seraph
06-26-2001, 07:53 PM
Getting them in is easy. they are not 6x9. they are 6 inch circles if i recall. All speakers will fit into them. There are 5 or so screws to take off. I have posted it once on how to remove the door.

How to remove the door (http://star-gazer.servehttp.com/~svx/how-tos/howto_door_switch.html)

good luck

lwin

ps. should'd this post be under tech. question?

SVXMAN2001
06-26-2001, 08:33 PM
lwin, yeah your right, I was in this forum and forgot to change to tech questions. Doh!! thanks for your help

chris

92 claret/black svx

SVXMAN2001
06-26-2001, 08:41 PM
lwin, you know now that I look at your speakers from the photos you posted, your speakers are much more circular then mine. I have oval speakers. Did subaru use different size speakers in the 92 then in the 94?

chris

92 claret/black svx

Seraph
06-26-2001, 09:22 PM
I am not sure if they are more circular. I have the 6 speakers in my car and i have a weird model. It's not a full L and it's not an LS. It's my version.
hehe
lwin
ps. I will ask Randy to move it to tech section.

Aredubjay
06-26-2001, 10:08 PM
The stock speakers are 6.5. In order to replace them, you'll either need to drill the welds out of the stock speakers and place your new speakers in the existing brackets, or, use the brackets to make a template either of plywood or metal to hold your new speakers. They should not be "oval" if they are stock. If they are, someone has replaced the stock speakers. Take care when choosing new speakers that they are not to "deep." If so, they will interfere with the window mechanism. I replaced mine with Sony X-plod 3 ways (both the 6.5 fronts and the 6x9 rears). The fronts are relatively easy, the backs are a PITA. Good luck.

zsvx
06-27-2001, 01:31 AM
If you have the cash (and a 6 speaker stock system) I highly suggest going with a component system. I have the Polk dX3065 set in my SVX and not only do they sound great the tweeters fit in the dash cut outs perfectly. Other good brands to go with are MB Quart, Boston and Dynaudio.

LordLobo
06-27-2001, 12:35 PM
I know Leo (1994SubaruSVX) will agree with me on this....why replace the speakers (unless you busted on). In terms of design, They are perfection.

At least for those of us who have the standard 6-speaker layout. The aucousitcs of the car are just fantastic.

Seraph
06-27-2001, 03:21 PM
I agree with LordLobo on that one.
Good one!
Lwin

BLKSVX92
06-27-2001, 10:45 PM
I have kenwood eXcelon 6.5 dB+ in the fronts, eXcelon 6x9 in the back , and JBL tweets....The only hard part about the fronts is making the mount for the new speakers (one huge pain) otherwise is easy

zsvx
06-29-2001, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by LordLobo
I know Leo (1994SubaruSVX) will agree with me on this....why replace the speakers (unless you busted on). In terms of design, They are perfection.

At least for those of us who have the standard 6-speaker layout. The aucousitcs of the car are just fantastic. Please clarify this comment for me. Stock speakers perfection :confused:

I agree the layout of the speakers are pretty nice but the speakers themselves are complete crap :)