PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Totally bizarre noise...

victorpgaines
10-30-2002, 02:48 PM
OK. I'm scared. My 92 has been working wonderfully, but I recently had some heat shields tightened, tires rotated, front pads/rotors, and new spark plugs (hey, has anyone else's mechanic sworn the plug installation took 4 hrs and created a billing nightmare???) to the tune of $1000.

Since then, I notice a "thump" when I accelerate from a standstill, and a vibration/pulstation (noticed this before, but it has become significantly worse) when turning - worse when left. I took it back to the mechanic, and they said the AWD systems in Subarus go bad, and that's what's happening, and unless I wanted to spend a total fortune, to drive it until I can't take it any longer, and then trash it! He said he can't ID the problem, but that maybe it is the torque converter trying to distribute the power as it "thinks" there is slippage when I am turning. The feeling and sound mean it is deteriorating... PLEASE tell me something more positive!!!

Best,
Victor

Aredubjay
10-30-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by victorpgaines
OK. I'm scared. My 92 has been working wonderfully, but I recently had some heat shields tightened, tires rotated, front pads/rotors, and new spark plugs (hey, has anyone else's mechanic sworn the plug installation took 4 hrs and created a billing nightmare???) to the tune of $1000.

Since then, I notice a "thump" when I accelerate from a standstill, and a vibration/pulstation (noticed this before, but it has become significantly worse) when turning - worse when left. I took it back to the mechanic, and they said the AWD systems in Subarus go bad, and that's what's happening, and unless I wanted to spend a total fortune, to drive it until I can't take it any longer, and then trash it! He said he can't ID the problem, but that maybe it is the torque converter trying to distribute the power as it "thinks" there is slippage when I am turning. The feeling and sound mean it is deteriorating... PLEASE tell me something more positive!!!

Best,
Victor

Find another mechanic. It took ME four hours to change my spark plugs and I'm no Suby mechanic. I was taking my time, and being careful, since I'd never changed such a goofy configuration, but, I'm sure I'd be able to do it in 3 and a half hours, now that I've done it once. :D Just kidding. An experienced suby mechanic should be able to change the plugs (realistically) in less than an hour.

It's a possibility that it's your transfer clutch going bad, or, it could be a bad tranny mount (does it "thunk" in reverse, also?) Without "feeling" it for myself, I couldn't exactly say (I know what transfer clutches "feel" like when they're trying to kick in and I know what a "gone south" tranny mount feels like). Like I said, get a second opinion. Ask Mike Davis (1995GreenSVX) for a recommendation. I think he's visited every mechanic from Lancaster to P-Burgh! :D

Beav
10-30-2002, 04:01 PM
I agree. The shame is on them at the moment, leave it there and don't transfer it yourself. Apparently they'd have a problem removing a rock from inside their shoe.

I'm not a Subie mechanic, but I do make a fair living working on cars. it took me less than a hour (probably more like 20-30 minutes) to change my plugs the first time.

Anybody that tells you to trash your car should be shot for being a drain on the gene pool. After all, they are in the business of repairing cars, aren't they? Maybe someday they should start trying to do that. :rolleyes:

victorpgaines
10-30-2002, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the replies Aredubjay and Beav- that is awesome that everyone writes so quickly!! Yea, I don't know about the whole 4 hours on the spark plugs bit. And at $65/hr, I was NOT happy. This guy worked wonders on the love-of-my-life ex - an 87 325i. But he's German, and lives for German cars. He told me he has never worked on a SVX until now. Four hours...why I oughta...

Now, the sound, Aredubjay...it does not "thunk" in reverse - I tried it this past weekend over and over. It doesn't even always do it in D. Usually, yes (at least for the past two weeks). Less when I have just started it in the mornings, more as it warms, I think. I don't notice it, or at least not as much, when I accelerate fast. Does that tell you anything more? Thanks again!

victorpgaines
10-30-2002, 05:01 PM
By the way, Beav, I'm from Lexington - just moved to Philly recently. Oh how I miss KY...

victorpgaines
10-30-2002, 05:03 PM
Oh, and Aredubjay, you are from KY, too! I'm a clown - I just realized that. I haven't driven my SVX home yet, but I can't wait to see the looks on friends/family's faces - they'll surely think it bizarre!

Ok, I'm done for now. Just got excited when I saw you guys are both from KY, too!

Aredubjay
10-30-2002, 05:55 PM
Pretty freaky, but, you'll have to make plans to come to the annual Reading PA meet, look for the planning thread. So far, 43 cars have signed up to attend. Hope you can add one.

You've got me stymied as to the noise. Beav would be a better judge. He's a REAL mechanic. I'm merely a "do what I can with the tools I have" kinda mechanic that leaves the more complicated matters to the professionals.

Hope everything turns out for you. Again, there are plenty of SVXers in your area who could recommend a decent shop.

HEY, ALL YOU PA-ITES! GIVE THIS GUY SOME HELP!

Okay, that out to get them goin'. Hope to see you in Reading. :D

sneedsvx
11-11-2002, 07:48 PM
hey i was reading the post and i noticed you said something about the thunking when i'm going in reverse it's pretty harsh kinda like the gears are slipping do you have any details about this problem....and then when i drive it for a little bit underneith starts to smoke but it doesn't smell like motor oil?????? they said that the tranny was replaced

victorpgaines
11-11-2002, 08:01 PM
Hi,

I don't get the noise in reverse - only in Drive. Well, I don't really know, though - when I am backing-up, I am usually in a parking lot, and not giving enough gas to even notice if it does it. But I don't think it does.

I called a local dealer service department, and they explained to me how to test what I am experiencing (forcing it into FWD, rather than AWD via the fusebox), and it verified that something is going on with the AWD SYSTEM (I obviously don't know a lot about the technical aspects of the AWD)...

Victor

sneedsvx
11-13-2002, 05:17 PM
ok thanks oh and where can i find a remote for the security system...it didn't come with the car when i bought it