PDA

View Full Version : R&T Guide: Donor copy

svxxx26
03-06-2001, 09:40 PM
Hey guys, a month or so back on the Yahoo site there was some discussion of making the R&T Guide more "accessible" to other SVX owners not fortunate enough to have a copy.
Aredubjay had an idea which required cutting the pages out with an x-acto to scan.
I am aquiring a copy off ebay which would be available for such a scan project. It is not mint, but appears serviceable.
Ideas anyone? Aredub?

joeaux
03-06-2001, 11:50 PM
I have two copies of the thing. One is pristine, in plastic that I only remove when I face Gunma. The other is a photocopy that Subaru sent me right after I bought the car. I guess I could photocopy my photocopy. Pictures wouldn't be very good, but you'd still be able to read it and use it for reference.
-joe-

Aredubjay
03-07-2001, 08:14 AM
What I had considered doing, was getting a spare copy, separating the pages with an xacto, laminating the pages and placing them in a ring binder. Unfortunately, I don't think I'd have the space to scan all the pages and house them. If someone had the space to house them, perhaps we could split the pages up and have various members scan a certain amount of pages, e-mail them to the "main house" and return the scanned pages to you. I know that's kinda "fragmented" but, and perhaps a complicated solution, but it's "one" solution. Of course, if there was someone with the time, space and a fast scanner, that was willing to do it, it would be all the better.

svxxx26
03-07-2001, 08:32 AM
Hmmm . . . that may be something I could do myself (over time!), with the exception of laminating the pages.
I guess the only question would be the quality of the scanned pages (which would be determined as soon as I got started) and what the best format would be to save them in.
As far as I know, I have the space available to house them.
Of course, this is all coming from a computer idiot. :rolleyes:

Aredubjay
03-07-2001, 09:43 AM
Your best bet would probably be to save them as jpeg. File size will be determined by resolution. My scanner (36 bit) defaults to bmp and I have to convert them to jpeg. The pages I scan from my manuals, I scan in grayscale at low rez for space's sake. I don't know how much they charge, but, I think Kinkos (or comparable) do laminating, but, for that many pages, it would probably be cheaper to go to Sams, Office Depot or somplace like that, and purchase a laminator.

svxxx26
03-07-2001, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the info , Randy. I'll try some test scans out this weekend and see how it goes.

rufus
03-07-2001, 11:20 AM
I have everything we need to complete this project at my disposal. Fast scanner, laminating machine, and virtually unlimited storage space. How many pages are we talking about here?

Aredubjay
03-07-2001, 11:40 AM
It's a hundred pages (including inside and outside front and back covers).

rufus
03-07-2001, 01:31 PM
Well, scanning 100 pages is no real problem. I would turn the entire thing into a .pdf, probably gray-scale so it would be manageable (I assume you want people to be able to download this thing from somewhere). But it begs the question, do you really want 50 laminated sheets of paper? I think you would be better off buying a nice three ring binder and a box of those clear plastic sheet protectors from Staples and putting your archive copy together that way. I don't have the equipment to make laminated pages with room at the margins to punch holes (assuming this thing is roughly 8 1/2 by 11), so you would end up with something that looked like a giant deck of playing cards.

Anyway, I would be willing to take care of this project, and even set up a table of contents and index the thing if you're willing to send it to me. Send me an email directly if you'd like my mailing address:

mwirt@phillipsfoods.com

Aredubjay
03-07-2001, 02:04 PM
The .pdf is a good idea. I don't have Acrobat, so, I wouldn't be able to do that. Jerry? Whaddaya think? It's your book.

The "deck of cards" thing was what I was going to work for as a "personal" project. The sheet protectors were too flimsy. I wanted the pages to be "hermetically sealed" so that they could be handled with impunity without fear of any deterioration. There are "stick on" extensions with the binder holes in them. I had planned on attaching those to each page to allow them to be held in the binder. Again, this was just going to be a personal project. It would also be a way for me to carry the book to meets and share it with those who haven't seen it, without worrying about wear. The copy I currently have, though not "mint" is in excellent condition and resides in a ziplock bag. I only occasionally take it out and gingerly look through it. :)

Chad
03-07-2001, 08:24 PM
So what exactly is in this R&T guide? Sounds to me like a pretty precious bit of reading.

I'd like to see what is in it.

svxxx26
03-07-2001, 09:16 PM
Rufus, that was just what I was wanting to hear! Excellent idea!
Yes, the idea is for people to be able to download pages.
I will send you an e-mail so we can start working out the details.

svxxx26
03-07-2001, 09:22 PM
Chad, the R&T Guide is definitely a most precious read!
That's one reason I think that it should be available in one form or another to anybody that loves the SVX like we do.
It covers development, design, technical highlights, etc. plus lots of little obscure detail stuff.

joeaux
03-07-2001, 11:16 PM
I think the pdf is a VERY good idea. Stored somewhere that someone could download it when needed. A good quality pdf of the manual should be pretty reasonable in size.
-joe-

wasions
03-08-2001, 11:15 PM
We don't need legal/copyright hassles. I don't know law, but downloading a whole book (which, in this case, I'd be perfectly willing to do) might tend to bring grief from the originators.

Just a thought. Don't let me bring you down (or hold you up).

Aredubjay
03-09-2001, 09:21 AM
Due to the fact that R&T is out of copies for retail sale, and the only availability is the e-bay route, I doubt we'll hear much of a rumble. Let's have at it!

svxxx26
03-09-2001, 10:49 AM
Don't think it will slow me down! ;)

tober76b
03-11-2001, 02:26 AM
so what exactly is in this R&T Guide?
btw....you can download acrobat reader for free from:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
toby

svxxx26
03-15-2001, 06:44 AM
I got the "donor" copy yesterday from eBay, and will forward to rufus tomorrow, who has his scanner warmed up and ready. It's in great shape, except for the cover.
Anyone have any further thoughts on the legality of having it available as a download?

svxter
03-15-2001, 07:42 AM
Since you're not trying to realize a profit from it, and since it's no longer for sale, I don't much think there's a likelyhood they will complain. Strictly speaking, since they still own the copyright, you may be infringing on that. Any lawyers in the crowd?

Aredubjay
03-15-2001, 08:33 AM
I'm not a lawyer, but I have needed to be sensitive to legal issues during my years in advertising. If, indeed, we are not looking to profit from the material, and we clearly give credit to R&T, issuing a statement of copyrite (copyrite, 1991, XXXX Publishing Co.), it is my understanding that we'll be covered. However, if not, the publishers of R&T must first issue a cease and desist order to which we could comply, then, end of story. Meanwhile, wasn't it Rufus who had the Attorney on staff who looked into the Yahoo insecurity? Have him run it past him. But, I would think, if people are receiving profit for selling the things willy nilly on e-bay and R&T isn't getting a cut of the action, we shouldn't be in any danger. Make sense?

svxxx26
03-15-2001, 08:41 AM
Aredub, it does make sense to me - especially in the way that you have laid it out. The question was posed to me, and I passed it on for a hopefully "final opinion".

In any event, I think that a compliance with any cease & desist order would indeed end the story - but in my opinion it won't come to that, especially since we're not selling it. ;)

svxter
03-15-2001, 08:41 AM
Not a lawyer, either, RWJ, but think you're on target there, as long as proper attribution to the copyright owner is made.

rufus
03-15-2001, 11:10 AM
I'm going to paraphrase part of my recent email to svxxx26 regarding this issue. I did talk to the lawyer (his name is Elvis, by the way), and he describes this as a "Napsteresque" issue, "fair use" vs. copyright infringement. Copyright law has not really caught up with the internet just yet, and there is a lot of grey area out there... if I want to make a few copies of something and distribute them to my friends, that normally qualifies as fair use as long as I am not making money out of the deal. However, making the entire document available for public download would probably qualify as copyright infringement. Now, would anyone actually come after us? Probably not. Still, I would feel most comfortable with a "private" distribution method, but if someone wants to put it up on the web, that is up to them.

It looks like I will probably be able to get started on this thing sometime early next week. Apparently the cover of this copy is not in perfect shape. I may need a volunteer to send me a good quality scan of the cover, but I'll let you know if the need arises.

-Mike

svxxx26
03-15-2001, 01:05 PM
As far as it being "Napsteresque", there is a basic difference - that being that R&T is not losing any money on this deal one way or another, since they're not selling these things anymore. Of course, I guess they could always say that we're hurting their sales POTENTIAL. :rolleyes:

Aredubjay
03-15-2001, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by svxxx26
As far as it being "Napsteresque", there is a basic difference - that being that R&T is not losing any money on this deal one way or another, since they're not selling these things anymore. Of course, I guess they could always say that we're hurting their sales POTENTIAL. :rolleyes:

If they do not plan to re-print (which is what I've heard that they've told another member), there is no POTENTIAL. Collectors will buy existing copies (from e-bay) from people who WILL be making a profit, none of which well ever see to the Road or Track. Not to mention, most of those copies are probably coming from dealerships who were GIVEN boxes of the edition when the SVX was first released.

svxxx26
03-15-2001, 01:36 PM
<<most of those copies are probably coming from dealerships who were GIVEN boxes of the edition when the SVX was first released. >>

I suspect that ALL of the copies were disributed that way, or possibly sent as a "bonus" to R&T subscribers - I don't recall ever seeing the Guide on the newstand.

svxxx26
03-18-2001, 09:35 PM
The donor was shipped off to Mike this weekend - the patient is now in his capable hands :eek: