PDA

View Full Version : The SVXtypeR...

SVXtypeR
06-20-2001, 03:22 PM
...nah it's not another SVX urban legend. It's my long-standing SVX project-mobile. A thread called "Another one" in Eddycat's garage started out with my asking about the ECU pin-outs. That thread ended up with questions about my project, so rather that waste EddyCat's bandwidth answering another question, I moved it here. Check out the below thread to catch up on the conversation...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=585

...and now on to our regularly scheduled program...

To answer your styling question (x-istensialist... that's cool), the "typeR" project will not alter the basic look/theme of the car (that's one of the reasons I bought it in the first place!!). Rather it will be a much more aggressive version of it's former self. As an example, take a look at the difference between the stock Dodge Viper and the Viper GTS-R. It's a poor example I know, since the stock viper has an already agressive body style, but my point being the style was made more functional for a race environment while still keeping the car very recongnisable. If you need any further examples, I'm sure one could be found in the GT1 and GT2 LeMans categories. In point of fact, SVX GTR has been the name of the project for the last 18 months! (I kept the screenname because I would confuse entirely too many people if I changed it).

As for the supercharger, I'm mounting it in roughly the same area as the turbos everybodys getting. Depending on how much space I have (I'm removing the windshield wiper fluid resivoir and the stock air box) I'll purchace either a Lysholm (Whipple brand) 3300ax (end intake) or a 3300r (top intake, almost roots style). the pulley will be facing the firewall, only I'm replacing it with a gear that will mesh with a second gear on a shaft that will run back *underneath* the unit (parallel to the passanger side valve train). The other end of that shaft will end in a pully at the front of the engine.

The air/water intercooler will be located just before where the collector would be. The 3300 trim Lysholm are said to be good for about 1,100hp (yes, I want that much!!! :D ) hence the 2-stage (600cc x 12) injector setup with the Paxton Granatelli fuel pump (this will good for 1k hp also).

cdigerlando
06-20-2001, 09:03 PM
With the kind of money you are going to spend, I highly recommend you speak to a shop familiar with the SVX engine. I also don't recommend doing a supercharger, although it can be done. If you want to "build" your engine I recommend contacting Rebello racing in CA. They "build" SVX engines for racing and airplanes, and have made 750 HP easy. There are some tricks to that involving reworking the heads to get more oil circulation and such. If you are staying in the low 400 range you will need to do nothing to the engine except use race fuel. Let me know if you want their phone number. They quoted me $11,000 to rebuild my engine, and that did not include the turbo and the intercooler. You could speak to Robert of forcedair technology about that. The $11,000 does include installation of an Electromotive Tec II PEM.

I think that all of your mods look really smart. The A/W intercooler I think is the way to go with the limited space. Also the level 10 stage 3 is the best, without doing WRX dog gears or a custom gear box. Like I said the only thing that looks really difficult is the engine building. This could get real expensive if the company you use has no previous experince in building SVX engines.

Hope this helps. Good luck. I will of course let you know how my Electromotive set up works with my turbo. I will only be doing 550 cc/min injectors though.

Take Care

Chuck

svxistentialist
06-21-2001, 02:17 AM
and lovin it.

Keep up the good work, power seekers.

I saw an article about a Ford Mustang that used a "Whipplecharger" on a 4.5 [Ithink] V8. It had serious stomp.

One question: I would take the stock differentials and final drives etc to be good for maybe 400-500 hp. Surely if you beef up the power output to 900 or 1K, you may need to toughen up the mechanicals also?

Joe:)

SVXtypeR
06-21-2001, 06:49 AM
I'll be sending the motor to Dan Paramore racing for (at minimum) bottom-end (middile-end?? :D ) work (they've been on my project list since it started, mainly because they have the most experience with their own Extrude-hone and Serdi valve machines). (thanks for the tip though cdig!!) I'm going with a knife-edged, balanced crank (stroked 5mm, so the motor will be slightly over 3.5L :cool: ), titanimum I-beam connecting rods and the cylinder sleeves will be bored out and replaced with chrome-moly sleve/deck combos (the H-6 open deck will definitely be a problem at high cylinder pressures). The deck/heads will be o-ringed with copper head gaskets (I know a place that will laser-cut custom gaskets, if anyone wants in, pls let me know, more people will reduce my prototype cost ($800 bucks). There will also be oil-sprayers tapped into the galley and aimed at the pistom bottoms, as wells as the requisite heat-taming compounds on the piston tops.

The H-6 piston/combustion chamber shape is one of the best I've seen to date, no hotspot-producing edges and the pistons are nice and flat with only partial valve reliefs. If I stay with the poppet valve head, I'm lowering compression to 9.5:1 or even 9:1. Detonation will not be that big of an issue at street power-levels because of the excessive cooling systems I'm implementing (the electric water pump goes in this weekend :D ). I figure that and the efficiency of the extremely large supercharger and the a/w intercooler will get me to about 580-600 hp on pump gas (well designed Supras do it all the time, and with smaller engines to boot). If the rotary-valve heads look do-able (ie, Coats quits screwin' around and returns my e-mail) the I'll actually *raise* the compression to 11:1 (the rotary valves run *much* cooler see www.coatesengine.com for details.)

As for the rest of the driveline, I'm going with Quaife diffs front and rear and stage 3 custom axles from www.driveshaftshop.com . They do extreme duty cv axles for the Honda/Diamondstar crowd and their work seems to be holding up pretty well the last few years.

Even though I'm spending *all* my money, trust me.... This is *fun*. :D :D :D

1994SubaruSVX
06-21-2001, 08:13 AM
you guys are way the hell over my head when you start getting into all this technical stuff. eddy feels like the dumba$$ mechanic sometimes, hell when i read you guys posts i feel simply like a dumba$$! the sad thing is the stuff you guys are talking about i dont even want to know. it is like the more you know about turbos and superchargers the easier it is to consider installing one....then the trouble, time spent, and money spent all increase. i wish you guys the best of luck and i will enjoy cheerleading on the sideline. whew! too rich for my blood and my wallet. :D

LordLobo
06-21-2001, 08:21 AM
When you're done with this project, you gotta post a list detailing what and how much you bought and spent. Just incase any of the rest of us come into an A$$load of ca$h.

cdigerlando
06-21-2001, 02:58 PM
Your engine mods are sound with your attention to cylinder cooling. I am no SVX expert, but this was an issue that Rebello gave a lot of attention. They were not as forthcomming with the ways in which they addressed these issues.

Although I am very interested in copper head gaskets, I would be interested in also sending my engine in for work with these guys. I already have the Tec II. The turbo is installed. My A/W intercooler has not been purchased yet. I am waiting on Steve to finish his front bumper design so I can fit another radiator in the front. I will likely deal with Spearco on this issue. I could have it installed locally then send the whole kit and cabootal to them while I send the transmission to Level 10 and work out the front bumper and body painting.

Maybe if we get together on this project, we can realize some savings. I would also be interested in CF body parts. I already have the hood and it looks great. My e-mail is cdigerlando@cfl.rr.com. I would really just like to talk to you for a while. My phone number is (407) *******. Or I can call you if you prefer.

svxistentialist
06-21-2001, 04:22 PM
All this upgrading looks seriously interesting, and although I hail from the Stock City school of motoring, I wish you luck and success in your efforts.

Most of us sports car drivers do not need reminding that modifications by the likes of Carroll Shelby and Paddy Hopkirk are what brought performance to street cars when the manufacturers woke up to the marketing angle.

Strikes me that rally cars are more "pure" in that the factory motor is modified {to hell and back} but the core chassis is largely similar to stock.

Against this, American oval racing and circuit racing such as Le Mans do it the other way round; they design a racing chassis and engine, then stick on a lightweight body to make it superficially like a street model.

Reason I mention this is what you are doing here with the mods is doing it the hard way. You are radically upgrading all the components within the original envelope of the stock car, without allowing yourself the luxury of doing it the circuit racer way, and banging on the body panels afterwards. You deserve a medal. Or something....

Keep it up
Joe:D

cdigerlando
06-21-2001, 04:44 PM
Yes or something.

svxistentialist
06-21-2001, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by cdigerlando
Yes or something.

Shucks Chuck

If JP crams all that stuff in a SVX GT-R, we can turn up at the Brickyard with a stopwatch, they'll have a reason for letting us loose on the track!!!

Joe:cool:

cdigerlando
06-24-2001, 07:22 AM
I checked out the coats valves website. The concept is very impressive and forward thinking. I do not know why they would want to modify the EG33 as a prototype though. There just would not be the market for this modification, as compared to a ford, GM motor, or even a honda or mitsubishi. But if you can by some stretch get them to do this, I would be very interested. I might even consider plastering their company name on my CF hood. Keep trying and thanks for calling the other night.

joeaux
06-24-2001, 01:25 PM
Don't even associate anything Subaru with anything Honda. Blahh! Hondas are ugly. Ugly, ugly (well,except maybe for the NSX, I know Acura, but it's still a Honda).
-joe-

SVXtypeR
07-06-2001, 09:30 AM
You would'nt believe the amount of blood, sweat and tears (literally!!) I've put into the planning, design and implimentation of this project!!

I guess because I've been with me while doing this project, it never truly hit me how big this project has become until you guys commented on it (xistentialist, your car-building alalogy threw me for a loop BIG TIME!! I'd never thought of it that way before!!).

Well, after SIX YEARS of design and planning, I really look forward to giving you guys (+gals) quite a show at the 10 anniv meet!!!

svxistentialist
07-06-2001, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by SVXtypeR
You would'nt believe the amount of blood, sweat and tears (literally!!) I've put into the planning, design and implimentation of this project!!

I guess because I've been with me while doing this project, it never truly hit me how big this project has become until you guys commented on it (xistentialist, your car-building alalogy threw me for a loop BIG TIME!! I'd never thought of it that way before!!).

Well, after SIX YEARS of design and planning, I really look forward to giving you guys (+gals) quite a show at the 10 anniv meet!!!

I'll be looking eagerly forward to it SVXtypeR

The SVX is the quintissential tourer, or GT, Gran Turissimo in the grandest sense, but it is easy to see the car has untapped potential, even to someone like me who likes them stock.

Nice to see someone putting a bee under the bonnet!!
{That's a pun. What we call the bonnet, you call the hood. But you knew that!} IMHO 350-400 hp would be enuff, but I am easily pleased.

Your long planning phase will pay off, the car will be good. "Measure twice, cut once" is a cliche we use a lot in the training business.

Keep it up

Joe:cool:

subbieatnz
02-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Sorry for digging up a old thread but

I come up apon this while looking for info on that EG33 dragester.

What ever happened to this guys project etc?

svxistentialist
02-04-2010, 02:07 PM
That's actually so long ago I can't remember what happened.
:rolleyes:

subbieatnz
02-04-2010, 02:28 PM
That's actually so long ago I can't remember what happened.
:rolleyes:

Haha lol :lol: What he was talking about for his projected seemed intresting.

oab_au
02-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Talk about a 'walk down memory lane'. :)
Sadly members we don't hear from any more. :)

Harvey.

Crazy_pilot
02-04-2010, 09:08 PM
I have a feeling it went the way of countless other "Super SVX projects", which is to say once the amount of work involved in relation to the final outcome was fully realized the idea went to the back burner, and then quietly faded away.