PDA

View Full Version : Darn near perfect single din dvd receiver installed

Old Davy
07-02-2016, 08:09 PM
1997 SVX came with the standard cassette/CD radio with the addition of a dealer installed 1998 Kenwood trunk mounted 10 CD changer. and a small remote unit in the cubby. Was really all I needed especially with the Subaru underseat sub installed using correct SVX connectors from Dave in Texas.

Somehow lost the 10 cd removable cage in 2015 so went looking at alternatives.
At a local Audio Shop in town I saw several single din retractable screen units but of course they would not clear our dash surround or door without major surgical modifications. At the back of the shop in a remainder rack display I saw this, played with it, measured it open & closed and realized it might be the perfect solution. It is!

Kenwood KVT-516 - introduced 2011 and discontinued following year.
In-Dash 7" DVD/MP3/USB Flip-Out Touchscreen Car Stereo Receiver

Mechanism extrudes the flat screen out on rails well past the dash confines, screen flips up from the back cleaing the overhang, then pulls screen back to a preset-able angle and distance. Rack mechanism is solid and firmly locks the screen in place with no wobble whatsoever..

Did have to mount the deck back 3/8" to the cage limits and dremel out lower back rail for connectors. Made up the Kenwood to Subaru harness from Texas Dave parts.

Looks good, sounds spectacular and has a Gee-Whizz Golly Gosh factor in operation. Took some headscratching and craftsmanship. The pix say it all.

Old Davy
07-02-2016, 08:28 PM
The rest of the pix. Did it last October 2015. hardly ever use the radio but when I do the antennae deploys. Mostly use an old 8GB MP3 player tucked in the cubby.

Blacky
07-03-2016, 05:55 AM
Very cool installation.:cool:

wdb
07-04-2016, 06:58 AM
Very cool installation.:cool:Agreed, very slick looking and practical to boot.