PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel swap

Austin
04-28-2016, 04:08 PM
I tried using the search for any posts on this but didn't have much luck and gave up after several pages of "results".

Question: Has anyone swapped a steering wheel from another Subaru model into their SVX and, if so, did it have audio controls?

I was thinking it would be kind of nice to have a more modern Subaru steering wheel that had volume controls and whatnot. So I was wondering if maybe one from a more recent model Impreza or Legacy variant might be easy to do. I know Huck's got a JDM Alcyone wheel in his that has the audio controls, but I was thinking I might go for a more recent style factory wheel.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

gwynethh
04-28-2016, 07:07 PM
We have a 3 spoke STi wheel in ours. Lost the use of the drivers air bag due to incompatibilities in the bag inflation process. The connection between the car and steering wheel is by a ribbon wire coiled up like a "clock spring". USDM cars have enough conductors for the horn and cruise functions and the original air bag. With a non-functional air bag you only have 2 spare conductors to play with. Looks like some JDM SVXii have radio controls on the wheel but we have never seen a JDM "clock spring" for sale nor know how it plugs into the cars wiring.

huck369
04-29-2016, 05:22 AM
I have the JDM Steering wheel with audio controls and Clock Spring in my Yellow SVX (Yes, the clock spring is different in a JDM one) this version has no airbag, and the USDM stereo wouldn't work with the Audio buttons, so you also need a matching JDM stereo (which Japan uses different FM frequencies than the US) so also a Frequency converter.......

Austin
04-29-2016, 07:03 AM
meh - my idea sounds like a pipe dream to me then.

Okay well thanks for the info, folks.