PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Hood Struts

shotgunslade
05-12-2013, 07:47 AM
Has anyone done anything for permanent hood struts or props for OT's fiberglass hood?

icingdeath88
05-12-2013, 01:50 PM
It has been suggested to use some really weak, old hood struts, but I haven't heard how that turned out. I have a C/F hood in storage that I will eventually have to solve the same problem with. I will say however, that if you've got a fiberglass hood, then you're trying to save weight, and deleting the hood struts is in that same spirit. So I'll probably try to make some kind of prop, but I'm not decided yet.

92 SVX
05-12-2013, 05:00 PM
on the spd catalog didnt they have some 30 pound hood struts that were the same length?

It has been quite some time since I replaced my hood and trunk struts with the ones from the spd catalog but I thought I remembered seeing that.

shotgunslade
05-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Think I want just a prop, like in my Outback. It works just fine, I dont have to worry about getting the strut pressure right, so the hood doesn't fly open and hit me in the chin.

1986nate
05-12-2013, 06:55 PM
I've got plenty of dead hood struts anyone can have for cost of shipping.

Conn SVX
05-12-2013, 07:58 PM
I have hood struts from NAPA they seem to work.. They are worn now and only hold the hood open in cold weather. I will be replacing them . I have a part # the PO gave me. I will look it up tomorrow ..

SVXRide
05-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Dan,
I use a dead pair of stock struts that OT drilled a hole through so I can put a pit pin in them when the fg hood is up.
Cheers,
Bill

Conn SVX
05-13-2013, 05:33 AM
A very small pair of vice grips works for me at car shows. They are from Lowes and were $2.00

shotgunslade
05-13-2013, 06:27 AM
Nate:

Do you also have the brackets, frame and hood for the struts. Seems they were left on the old hood when OT installed. If so, I would be interested in purchasing a pair of dead struts each with hood and frame brackets. If the struts are too dead, I will follow Bill's advice, and drill a hold through the entire sturt so that I can put a pin in when needed.