PDA

View Full Version : Possessed Panasonic CD player

ssenter
10-17-2012, 11:03 PM
I recently acquired a '92 SVX w/factory Panasonic am/fm cassette and separate CD player. The CD player has a mind of its own, turning on and off randomly, looking for a disc. Of course when it does it, the radio cuts out too. The worst problem, is that it will do it regardless of whether the radio is on---meaning it will do it when the radio is off and/or car is turned off, potentially draining the battery. It does seem to be temperature sensitive, i.e. the warmer the components, the greater the frequency of problem.
Anyone ever had this problem? How hard is it to get to the wiring harness to unplug the CD player?
Thanks a bunch!
Scott
Klamath Falls, OR

SVXdc
10-18-2012, 12:42 AM
The factory CD player is getting a little "long in the tooth," so it's no surprise that yours is flaking out. Sounds like a problem with a switch that detects when a CD si inserted. I think the unit will let you insert or eject a disc at any time (even when the radio and car are powered off).

It's not that difficult to pull out the radio and CD deck. See my SVX Audio guide (http://ae64.com/SVXAudioInstall.htm).