PDA

View Full Version : ABS Light Coming On

svxter
03-06-2001, 05:56 AM
I've had this happen twice now...

I'll apply the brakes, and encounter resistance from the pedal, which will then "give", and the pedal depress further before really beginning to apply the brakes. For a while after this, the ABS light will come on, although the braking doesn't seem to be affected. Eventually, it will go out and stay out. The only thing the owner's manual says refers to a low battery. That doesn't seem to be the case here - battery appears to be fine. Any ideas? :confused:

Aredubjay
03-06-2001, 09:38 AM
Bill,
Check out this link! Click on ABS codes and self diagnostics.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/aredubjay?c&.flabel=fld2&start=9999&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/aredubjay%3fc%26.flabel=fld2

If the link doesn't work, go to my profile in Y*h** :) and click on "View My Briefcase" Click on "MY FOLDER" and click "View All" the location of the self diag light and procedure for checking codes will be the 13th file. (Yahoo only shows 12 at a time, unless you click "view all.")

svxter
03-28-2001, 08:06 AM
Anyone changed out a wheel speed sensor for the ABS? How much trouble to do this? Is it a do-it-yourself sort of thing, or should I take it to the dealer? Is some kind of special tool required, or would a reasonably well-equipped tool box handle it?

Thanks for any information.

That ABS light sure is annoying, but I'm assuming a faulty wheel speed sensor is not going to affect basic braking capability, just the ABS function.

Aredubjay
03-28-2001, 08:08 AM
I'll give it a "look-see" in my manuals this evening. If it looks like a do-it-yourself endeavor, I'll scan the page with the diagram and procedure and e-mail it to you.

svxter
03-28-2001, 11:18 AM
Thanks, many times thanks. We all owe you a debt of gratitude for your manuals and scanner.

1994SubaruSVX
03-28-2001, 11:59 AM
are your brake lights staying on? if they are it sounds like your relay switch. they prone to sticking. just something else to check out.

svxter
03-28-2001, 01:07 PM
No, don't think the brake lights are staying on. The little ABS light on the dash comes on, and when I look at the red LED under the passenger's seat, it gives me a code for a wheel speed sensor failure.

I will look at the brake lights, though, just to be sure.