PDA

View Full Version : exhaust resonator..help please

longassname
09-18-2002, 09:30 AM
Does anyone have a picture of where the primary muffler/resonator goes?

I just purchased a 94 svx lsi that has had all the exhaust except for the o2 sensors and secondary muffler replaced with straight pipe. I've determined that the internals of my secondary muffler are the source of a really annoying rattle so I've been researching the exhaust on the svx. After reading all the forums here

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4825&highlight=resonator

I've decided to replace the secondary muffler with another stock one and replace the missing primary muffler with another stock unit as well.

Does anyone have a picture of where the primary muffler/resonator goes? I want to get it placed as correctly as possible to make sure it creates the negative pressure wave at the desired time.

Green1995SVX
09-18-2002, 10:39 AM
longass-

When you order the resonator "primary muffler" from the dealer, it will come with the pipe front and rear. This way you wont be able to mess it up. :)

Mike

longassname
09-18-2002, 11:49 AM
thanks, I had just determined the same on my own but now i have a new question. I saw the stebro exhaust system that's basically a cat back system. They offer both the secondary muffler and the rear pipe that includes the primary. Anyone have any opinions on using the stebro rear pipe and primary muffler with a factory secondary muffler? I don't want to give up my factory exhaust tips.

Green1995SVX
09-24-2002, 12:31 AM
I personally would just stick with stock all-around unless you're going to get the stebro secondary muffler. That is what makes the biggest difference in sound.

Mike

Aredubjay
09-24-2002, 09:38 AM
Hey, Longassname. Just curious. You're no relation to Stupidname**** from the Yahoo board, are you? :D

longassname
09-24-2002, 02:36 PM
No, no relation I'm affraid...I'm longassscreenname on yahoo :)

Aredubjay
09-24-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by longassname
No, no relation I'm affraid...I'm longassscreenname on yahoo :)

:D

longassname
09-24-2002, 02:48 PM
does anyone think the stebro primary/resonator is less prone to developing the annoying rattle than the stock one? I don't care about changing the tone..in fact I want to make things as quiet as possible. I just don't want to have another rattle in a year or two.

svx6595
09-25-2002, 08:36 AM
I have had the same stebro exhaust on both of my SVX's. Never have had a rattle. Stebro sounds great.

Larry

Aredubjay
09-25-2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by longassname
does anyone think the stebro primary/resonator is less prone to developing the annoying rattle than the stock one? I don't care about changing the tone..in fact I want to make things as quiet as possible. I just don't want to have another rattle in a year or two.

If you want graveyard quiet, stay with the stock system. Rattles are generally relegated to the heat shields when the fiberglass material begins to deteriorate between the shields and the pipes/cats/resonator . . . etc, as well as breakdown in the resonator baffles. The front shields also have a tendency to pick up stones if you've been driving on a gravel road or driveway. The note changes very little with the resonator removed, but if you want "quiet as possible," replace the resonator instead of removing it. That's what I'd do.

Green1995SVX
09-25-2002, 08:58 AM
I agree with randy. With a functioning resonator, the SVX is virtually SILENT.

Mike