PDA

View Full Version : Any Volvo 240 Wagoneers out there?!

B 4 You
03-27-2012, 03:17 PM
My fiancee has a '97 Cavalier, and it finally bit the dust. We're up at school, so it broke on her parents' driving of it, but still, she needs a new car. A summer car. I'm looking for cheap Subarus (an SVX is probably out of the question) and other cheap cars. I LOVE the old Volvo 240 station wagons. I found one, an '87 with 151k on the clock for sale at a garage that brought my svx back to life at one point, and it's in great shape. Runs fine. They're asking $1500 for it, which I think is fair and we can definitely afford. Would this be a stupid choice or do you guys think this car would last us? I think they're cute :D

Here's the ad: http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fpittsburgh.craigslist.org%2Fc td%2F2858103268.html&h=tAQHc7lDiAQEGlOhU4tTfyOnBbq5QpNFXKFweoJ5kXQN73w

92snowmachine
03-27-2012, 03:30 PM
that seems like a good car for the money but they can be rather expensive to fix. if you can afford the eventual price tag when it needs parts then it's a good buy but if it uses all of your funds i wouldn't recommend it. one common issue on these is failure of the distributor pickup or the entire distributor assembly. search for these parts in new condition to get an idea of what repairs may cost. if you buy it i would recommend to toss on a new timing belt just for piece of mind, it's very easy on these and the belt itself is cheap.

also good to note that thing would have the old refrigerant so make sure the ac works

fzftw
03-27-2012, 06:09 PM
My father had an 87 GL sedan with the automatic. That car was bombproof! Comfortable, reliable, great in winter, and fun to drive. Seems like a fair deal at that price.

subeman90
03-27-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm not a fan of them but a 240 with a 5 speed will go to the end of the earth and back again. Your grandchildren could inherit this car from you if you keep it from rusting. With that being said...I'd buy it before anyone else does if you like it.

Green1995SVX
03-27-2012, 06:34 PM
They are absolutely fantastic cars. You literally can't go wrong with one. They are actually going up in value right now, and $1500 for one with under 200k miles is a GREAT price.