PDA

View Full Version : WRX Steering Wheel Swap - Horn Wiring

Green1995SVX
03-25-2012, 11:48 PM
I've installed a WRX steering wheel in my SVX. Could somebody who has done the swap please post the details on the wiring to make the horn work?

Thanks!

Mike

icingdeath88
03-26-2012, 09:39 AM
It's very easy. But first, do you intend to (or did you already) swap the airbag charge from the SVX steering wheel?

Green1995SVX
03-26-2012, 06:31 PM
It's very easy. But first, do you intend to (or did you already) swap the airbag charge from the SVX steering wheel?

I intended to, but the mounting points for the charge were different, so I didn't.

Green1995SVX
03-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Just a bump. I know somebody must have this knowledge. I'm waiting to get the horn hooked up to get the car inspected so that I can drive it.

LetItSnow
03-29-2012, 12:12 PM
I swapped the internals of the wheels. It's not that crafty. :confused:

icingdeath88
03-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Yea, just open up both steering wheels and it will make sense. If you run into problems, then post them up and I'll help out, but it should be fairly obvious once you're looking at it all. Use a SVX wheel that you don't mind sacrificing. I swapped the plug and wiring from the SVX wheel to my legacy one, so it's plug-and-play and I can swap in a stock SVX wheel easily if I wanted to. You will likely have to do a good amount of trimming plastic bits as well. I was also able to swap the cruise controls, by cutting a hole for the stalk (there was already an outline of where the hole would be cut), and mounting it to the existing mounting points that were already in the wheel. I looked through my pictures and I didn't find anything useful from when I did it, sry.

Green1995SVX
03-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Yea, just open up both steering wheels and it will make sense. If you run into problems, then post them up and I'll help out, but it should be fairly obvious once you're looking at it all. Use a SVX wheel that you don't mind sacrificing. I swapped the plug and wiring from the SVX wheel to my legacy one, so it's plug-and-play and I can swap in a stock SVX wheel easily if I wanted to. You will likely have to do a good amount of trimming plastic bits as well. I was also able to swap the cruise controls, by cutting a hole for the stalk (there was already an outline of where the hole would be cut), and mounting it to the existing mounting points that were already in the wheel. I looked through my pictures and I didn't find anything useful from when I did it, sry.

I already have the wrx wheel installed in my svx, and the cruise is working. All I need to know is how to hook up the horn. :)

pearlm30
03-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Is there anyway you can post a pic or 2:confused: I thought its a direct swap to JDM legacy steering wheel( just the charge part) unless your WRX is USDM?

oab_au
03-29-2012, 06:24 PM
I already have the wrx wheel installed in my svx, and the cruise is working. All I need to know is how to hook up the horn. :)

The horn button is connected to the Green/blue wire that feeds the cruise control paddles.

Harvey.

Green1995SVX
03-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Here's a pic!

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh448/halfwindows/photo-13.jpg

SVXMAN2001
03-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Is this your prestine 92?!?!?!??!

Freeman
03-29-2012, 09:54 PM
That wheel looks huge..

LetItSnow
03-30-2012, 06:22 AM
The horn button is connected to the Green/blue wire that feeds the cruise control paddles.
This. The circuit is completed through the spring-loaded bits that the airbag mounts to. The GB wire needs to clip to the right side airbag mount.