PDA

View Full Version : Ever wonder what some 18x9.5 +38 wheels look like on an SVX?

Crazy_pilot
03-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Sorta like this:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/616/medium/IMG_0838.jpg

Rears line up perfectly with the rust. I mean body. I really have to fix that...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/616/medium/DSC00355.JPG

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/616/medium/IMG_0841.jpg

Fronts are not quite as nice. Needs camber, currently running ~-0.5 degrees.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/616/medium/IMG_0843.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/616/medium/IMG_0844.jpg

This is what they look like compared to my 17x8 STi wheels (Sidenote: General Exclaims. Never again.):

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/616/medium/IMG_0842.jpg

sicksubie
03-19-2012, 01:54 PM
How is the inside clearance?

Crazy_pilot
03-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Quite a bit actually. Mind you, I have coilovers, so I've got more clearance than someone with stock struts. I'm going to try finding a 265/35/18 used tire for free/almost free to mount and check again, but I think fender clearance is going to be an issue before the strut gets touched.

Sean486
03-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Wow they fit great without tires. ;) :lol:

BoxerFanatic
03-19-2012, 03:06 PM
I like the look, actually. I don't always like over-aggressive treatments.

I wonder if there are any mild front fender arch extensions that would fit the SVX's front fenders. The rear clearance doesn't look too bad, maybe rolling the fender lip, when repairing the corrosion you mentioned.

Something like these Chargespeed generic fit fender flares.
http://www.bodykits.com/productImages_thumbBIG/1237242908160439.jpg
http://www.bodykits.com/Charge-Speed/fender-flares/Universal-Charge-Speed-Universal-Bubble-Over-Fender-Set-_-CSAOF02/624194/

I am not usually a big fan of that stuff... but I could see it looking mean on the front of an SVX, with the boxed flare rear fenders, and the dished wheels. Budget for wheel bearings. Lots of wheel bearings, maybe a set of spare uprights, to refurbish with new bearings while they are off the car, and rotate them back onto the car when they start complaining. :D

One thing, though: PLEASE don't stretch narrow tires over those wheels. Equal width, or wider tires than the rim width look and perform better.

Something symmetrical about an SVX with a SIX cylinder, and SIX spoke wheels. Even better with a SIX speed manual swap. :D

fzftw
03-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Rears line up perfectly with the rust. I mean body. I really have to fix that...
:lol::lol::lol: too funny!

They look good btw.

Crazy_pilot
03-19-2012, 03:18 PM
I don't know about the flares... My preference would be to widen the originals while keeping the smooth profile if I can. The same in the rear, I am dead set against pulling the fenders in any way. Roll the lip yes, but I'm not going to add any outward curve. The quarter panels are a smooth vertical line that flows with the side of the car, I can't touch that aesthetic.

Fortunately, the SVX isn't my DD, so it doesn't rack up many miles these days. Hopefully that will give my wheel bearings a lease on life. It also gives me time to play with the setup to get the fitment just the way I want.

And in case anyone was wondering, I will NOT be stretching some tiny 225/40/18 tire on there. The minimum width I'll be running is 255, aiming for 265/35/18's. I like lots of rubber.

BoxerFanatic
03-19-2012, 03:23 PM
I just saw your comment on the General Exclaims...

Wholeheartedly agree. After 2 sets, the second set under begrudging acceptance due to the price, and being able to use two of the first set as ready spares... no more.

ContiExtreme DWS on the SVX and Legacy now, so far much, much better, and they would have to try very hard to wear as badly as the Exclaims wore down. Bad uneven wear, and LOTS of road noise.

Chuckls
03-19-2012, 05:49 PM
One thing, though: PLEASE don't stretch narrow tires over those wheels. Equal width, or wider tires than the rim width look and perform better.

Lets just not go there. Don't want some SVX folk saying I have no class and a ricer because I can defend the stretched tires argument.

*cough*budfreak*cough*svxworldforums*cough*

Crazy_pilot
03-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Lets just not go there. Don't want some SVX folk saying I have no class and a ricer because I can defend the stretched tires argument.

*cough*budfreak*cough*svxworldforums*cough*

Seriously? I haven't looked at the forum in a year or so. Stretched is the new thing there?

NikFu S.
03-19-2012, 07:54 PM
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/616/medium/IMG_0841.jpg

At first I was like why do you have a huge mirror in your garage sticking halfway out your door...

That sheit is flush, son! Would be baller status if you have some edge guards.

oab_au
03-20-2012, 02:29 AM
Seriously? I haven't looked at the forum in a year or so. Stretched is the new thing there?

No, :) it was only Chuckls, that was stretched.:)

Harvey.

Crazy_pilot
03-20-2012, 01:51 PM
I just saw your comment on the General Exclaims...

Wholeheartedly agree. After 2 sets, the second set under begrudging acceptance due to the price, and being able to use two of the first set as ready spares... no more.

ContiExtreme DWS on the SVX and Legacy now, so far much, much better, and they would have to try very hard to wear as badly as the Exclaims wore down. Bad uneven wear, and LOTS of road noise.

Actually the wear is the one good point for my Generals. With 4 years and 25 or 30,000 km on them they've still got plenty of tread left. What I hate about them is the mediocre grip and especially the flimsy sidewalls. It was acceptible on stock suspension, but with the coilovers transferring so much more energy to the tires they just can't keep up. I've been running them at 40 PSI front and 35 rear in an attempt to get more responsiveness, but it's just not happening.

Harvey.

*shrug* To each their own. It's not my thing, but I'm not going to attack someone else for running the setup they chose. I agree with Chuckls though, lets not get into that arguement here. All it serves is to inflame tempers.

Chuckls
03-20-2012, 01:55 PM

Harvey.

*ahem*
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/chuckles2002/ef684d83.jpg?t=1332273359

STeeL25T
03-20-2012, 02:45 PM
I got a set of wheels I've had in the boxes for over a year now, got them for my 240sx but never put them on because I'm crazy about taking down my DD to convert to 5 lug with the questionable looking used hubs I have. They are a good bit wider in the rear than in the front so I never thought to use them on my SVX because I've always heard staggered wheels on AWD car is a big no no... However a friend was telling me the other day as long as I use the same sized tires on each wheel it wouldn't really be a problem. I believe that would involve stretching a tire... What do you guys thing aboot that?

Didn't mean to change to subject but just thought I'd ask haha. I like the new wheels. They look great with the coilovers. Get some rubber on em!

icingdeath88
03-20-2012, 03:10 PM
I got a set of wheels I've had in the boxes for over a year now, got them for my 240sx but never put them on because I'm crazy about taking down my DD to convert to 5 lug with the questionable looking used hubs I have. They are a good bit wider in the rear than in the front so I never thought to use them on my SVX because I've always heard staggered wheels on AWD car is a big no no... However a friend was telling me the other day as long as I use the same sized tires on each wheel it wouldn't really be a problem. I believe that would involve stretching a tire... What do you guys thing aboot that?

Didn't mean to change to subject but just thought I'd ask haha. I like the new wheels. They look great with the coilovers. Get some rubber on em!

If you make the front and rear tires the exact same circumference, you can use whichever size you want. I think it's supposed to be easy to get close, but hard to get dead-on. It ends up being a matter of fitting the actual tires and measuring.

That said, I wonder if you have more/less leeway with the 5-speed versus the stock auto.

92 SVX
03-20-2012, 05:04 PM

if you mean for example your rims are 17x8 front and 17x8.5 rear and you decide to run a 245/40/17 on all 4 corners yup thats perfectly acceptable.
It really will matter what the rim width is though and finding a tire that can use both sizes. if you use a tire that requires a really narrow rim but put it on a wide rim it wont look right (IMO) and possibly will pop off the bead and lose air.

If you make the front and rear tires the exact same circumference, you can use whichever size you want. I think it's supposed to be easy to get close, but hard to get dead-on. It ends up being a matter of fitting the actual tires and measuring.

That said, I wonder if you have more/less leeway with the 5-speed versus the stock auto.
See above for the tire size. Though I too have heard you can get within 1/4 inch by using 225/40/18 and 255/35/18

according to tire size calc the 225's are 25.08 diameter and the 255/35's are 25.02

And as to the transmission leeway I would guess the 5 speed will be more lenient as it uses a viscous diff I think.

icingdeath88
03-20-2012, 07:58 PM
See above for the tire size. Though I too have heard you can get within 1/4 inch by using 225/40/18 and 255/35/18

I think when they talk about 1/4", they are talking about circumference, not diameter. But, I would expect if they're that close, it will just be a matter of getting the air pressures right to get them to the same diameter.

I would think a 5- or 6-speed would be more forgiving too, but I'm not sure actually.

It really will matter what the rim width is though and finding a tire that can use both sizes. if you use a tire that requires a really narrow rim but put it on a wide rim it wont look right (IMO) and possibly will pop off the bead and lose air.

Plus, if you're using the same size tires, then what's the point of the different rims...?

Tim
03-21-2012, 07:09 AM
Generals are on my Muranos. Never again either. Not very confidence inspiring in dry, even worse in the wet.