PDA

View Full Version : WRX Radio Install Question

Sean486
03-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Reading the How to Document and for the part where you cut off or bend back the flanges. I was just wondering from those who have done it, what tool did you use. What would you use it you had to do it again?

icingdeath88
03-12-2012, 11:02 PM
I used tin snips. Would not use again. They made it all sharp and stabby. Which is not what you want when you're reaching back there finagling it all into place. Now I would use my angle grinder. It is my favorite tool, because it turns every job into a giant shower of sparks (and sometimes starts fires).

A dremel would probably work well.

You don't always have to cut anything though. It depends on the head unit.

Sean486
03-13-2012, 05:52 AM
I used tin snips. Would not use again. They made it all sharp and stabby. Which is not what you want when you're reaching back there finagling it all into place. Now I would use my angle grinder. It is my favorite tool, because it turns every job into a giant shower of sparks (and sometimes starts fires).

A dremel would probably work well.

You don't always have to cut anything though. It depends on the head unit.

Mine is needs just a little more room. This is just me mentally thinking it through, as I haven't been able to look at it in the daylight yet. I am reluctant to use something that throws sparks in that space. Maybe one of those oscillation tools would work, I don't know. Maybe it will be easier to bend.

Sean486
03-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Okay got the radio to fit and it looked pretty good. I ended up just bending back the lip which was much easier than I expected. That steel is a lot thinner than it looks. however I had to remove it and put the old one back in. The new radio was dead.

I am using SVX-dc's WRX to SVX pre-made adapter, so either the radio is broken or the wiring adapter is messed up. Is there a fuse in the WRX double DIN that may be blown or is there someway to test it outside of the car?