PDA

View Full Version : Location of a back-up camera?

kjoyes
03-05-2012, 12:34 AM
i was wonding if you could post your pics of where you have your back-up cams installed type to me where the best place to mount one. thanks

Subix
03-05-2012, 02:27 AM
i was wonding if you could post your pics of where you have your back-up cams installed type to me where the best place to mount one. thanks

I've considered adding one because of the head unit supporting it and they sell one on Amazon that has a slim bracket that mounts on the top or bottom of your license plate. To avoid covering the exp dates/tags, I would mount it on the bottom.

It was $18 just the other day... weird how prices fluctuate so much on Amazon in just a few days: http://www.amazon.com/Koolertron-License-Plate-Backup-Camera/dp/B0049LBJ56/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1UB840G0LR1YY&colid=1XIXF5377G83I

NikFu S.
03-05-2012, 03:23 AM
I was actually just looking at this yesterday and wondering the same thing. It's on my list of things to do.

Johnybeas
03-09-2012, 10:42 PM
I was actually just looking at this yesterday and wondering the same thing. It's on my list of things to do.

+1 I'm thinking of putting mine opposite of the key slot via some body work etc. but it's very far down the road.

kjoyes
03-16-2012, 12:53 AM
where would you run the wires from the camera to the inside of the trunk any ideas thanks.

Johnybeas
03-16-2012, 05:02 AM
There is already wiring into the lid for the 3rd brake light just run wires along with them and into the top of the trunk area, then run it down behind the seat and up under carpet and under the center console and into your deck. I have a thread about my deck install you can see where I ran my wires. I've already ran my wires for my back up camera just haven't installed one yet.

WYOSVX
03-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Just a very little bit off topic, but related: have you seen a camera lense that covers a really wide angle? One that would cover all that the 3 mirrors cover? This is just messing with ideas but I thought it might look cool to totally eliminate the side view mirrors. I don't know much about the backup cams, though, compared to mirrors. Just a thought.

92snowmachine
03-21-2012, 02:54 PM
they do make wide angle cameras that cover pretty well but you would have a blind spot for things that were in front of your rear bumper. i have been looking at installing a backup camera and think i might install at least two. one in the bumper and one on the back deck. you might be able to take your mirrors off in wyo but in colorado that will get you pulled over.
the setup i am actually thinking of is a combo of several cameras, a video switcher (to switch between which camera is on the head unit), and a dvr. it would be really nice piece of mind to have recordings if someone ran into while driving or in a parking lot. they are actually pretty cheap and sold mainly to commercial trucking companies.