PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Tires

SVXRide
09-13-2002, 01:49 PM
I've seen several threads that have contained different opinions regarding the "best" tires out there for SVXs, so here I am asking what the current thoughts are on what the best choices are on the market now. I want to be able to continue to use the stock wheels for the time being (given that I've got them mounted in the right direction now! - thanks again Earthworm and Aredubjay!)
-B

LarryIII
09-13-2002, 02:41 PM
SVXRide,

The consensus seems to be the Yokohama AVS dB tires. They are rated the quietest tire and they are very quiet. Be warned however, They are rated very poor in snow. My 92 SVX has them. They handle very well in dry and wet rainy conditions.
We did not get any snow in northern Delaware last year.

My 97 SVX has Dunlop Sport 5000. They are equal to the Yokos in wet & dry handling and ride. They are also much noisier than the Yokos.

Both sets of tires above are around $550 mounted & balanced. You can probably get them cheaper.

I had a set TOYO Proxes T1-S tires on my 97. They are the best handling tires that I ever had. They are basically racing tires for the street. They handled fantastically in dry & wet. They were noisey and pricey ($750) and lasted only ~ 28000 mi. They were just ok in 6" of snow. But I did not tryanything stupid in the snow with these tires on the car. Good Luck.

SVXRide
09-15-2002, 03:55 PM
Larry III,
thanks -- how much noisier is "much noisier"? I haven't found a local shop that handles the Yokos - the Dunlops are available at multiple locations.
Thanks.:confused:

LarryIII
09-15-2002, 06:50 PM
My guesstimate is about 30%-50% nosier. It depends on the road surfacing. Contact Ron. He has the Yoko AVS dBs on his Black Bomber. He lives in Ellicot City, MD.

The one thing you must make sure of. Don't let the installer use an air wrench to put on the new tires. Stand over him and be a PIA. too much torque from the wrench will ruin your rotors.

Ron Mummert
09-15-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by LarryIII
My guesstimate is about 30%-50% nosier. It depends on the road surfacing. Contact Ron. He has the Yoko AVS dBs on his Black Bomber. He lives in Ellicott City, MD.

The one thing you must make sure of. Don't let the installer use an air wrench to put on the new tires. Stand over him and be a PIA. too much torque from the wrench will ruin your rotors.

Since it never snows in Dunkirk, get the AVS dbs at Tirerack.com - around $104.00 each plus shipping. Look for a local independent installer. The Tirerack site will show a list of some close to you, & will ship the tires there. I believe Mr. Tire is a "authorized" installer, but I got a better deal at an independent.
Happy trails, Ron.

dromano
09-15-2002, 07:59 PM
in addition to rotors being damaged by over tightening, lug bolts will bite the dust. A tire shop ruined 3 lug bolts on one wheel, lucky for me they didn't work on the other 3 wheels. Still the car was not driveable (one week) till the bolts were replaced.
tire shop picked up the tab, thank you very much....PIA:rolleyes:

ensteele
09-15-2002, 08:46 PM
They may have paid, but you could not drive the car. That is a PITB. And they wonder why we stand there and watch them like they are going to damage something! :rolleyes:

LarryIII
09-16-2002, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Since it never snows in Dunkirk, get the AVS dbs at Tirerack.com - around $104.00 each plus shipping. Look for a local independent installer. The Tirerack site will show a list of some close to you, & will ship the tires there. I believe Mr. Tire is a "authorized" installer, but I got a better deal at an independent.
Happy trails, Ron.

Ron,

Will you put those crabs in the pot already. Rosie's getting HHHHHUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGRRRRYYYYYYYYY !!

SVXRide
09-16-2002, 08:51 AM
Ron,
No snow, no water::eek: ...yeah, looks like "less noisy" will win out (just have to get the "AWD, but don't drive it in the snow" out of my head...). How many miles have you put on the AVS dbs?
Thanks.
-Bill

Ron Mummert
09-16-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by SVXRide
Ron,
No snow, no water::eek: ...yeah, looks like "less noisy" will win out (just have to get the "AWD, but don't drive it in the snow" out of my head...). How many miles have you put on the AVS dbs?
Thanks.
-Bill

AWD in snow is for Colorado guys. Maryland snow ain't snow. It's slop. AWD won't protect you from Joe SUV doin' 70 up I-95 to prove he needs them 6 foot high knobby tires to push slush around.
I've put a whoppin' 6K on the tires, Bill, & so far the tread is right where it was when I bought'em.

Ron.

SVXRide
09-17-2002, 07:50 AM
Ron,
Thanks! Yeah, other than those occassional 17" dumps of snow - which seem to run on 4 year cycles - I agree with your thoughts on Maryland snow (took me a year in Iowa to appreciate what real snow was...). Thanks again for the tire info.
Non-technical question -- how do you get the "quote" info inserted in your response? I must be missing something on the "Post Reply" page. Thanks
-Bill

Ron Mummert
09-17-2002, 08:40 AM
Non-technical question -- how do you get the "quote" info inserted in your response? I must be missing something on the "Post Reply" page. Thanks
-Bill [/B][/QUOTE]

Like this? Just hit the "blueish" quote button at the bottom of the response. Then highlight what you want to eliminate & hit enter.
What I can't do is make the smilies appear. Once in a blue moon they seem to work, but not often enough to make me want to keep trying.:eek: Holy crap!! It just worked! I give up.

Ron.:confused:

SVXRide
09-17-2002, 09:51 AM
Ron,

Close, but no cigar...
I'd like to be able to respond using the quote: Originally posted by format -- like your response to my snow comments in this thread. Are you using the edit blue button?
-Bill

Ron Mummert
09-17-2002, 01:44 PM
Ron,

Close, but no cigar...
I'd like to be able to respond using the quote: Originally posted by format -- like your response to my snow comments in this thread. Are you using the edit blue button?
-Bill

No - I'm hitting only the "quote" button, next to the "edit" button. When I do, your last message appears in its entirety as above. I could then erase any part I want, & leave what I want.
I hope I'm understanding what you're asking. ;) Hey - the smiley
worked again. Maybe this big mallet DOES work.

Ron.

SVXRide
09-17-2002, 03:14 PM

No - I'm hitting only the "quote" button, next to the "edit" button. When I do, your last message appears in its entirety as above. I could then erase any part I want, & leave what I want.
I hope I'm understanding what you're asking. ;) Hey - the smiley
worked again. Maybe this big mallet DOES work.

Ron.

Okay, all I did was hit the "quote" button....

SVXRide
09-17-2002, 03:15 PM
Ron,
Looks like we've got a winner:D
Thanks.
-B

Ron Mummert
09-17-2002, 06:38 PM
Ron,
Looks like we've got a winner:D
Thanks.
-B

Yup. (smilies not working again)!

Ron.

ensteele
09-17-2002, 08:24 PM

Yup. (smilies not working again)!

Ron.

Get out your BIG HAMMER again. If that doesn't work, I'd try that Box o Wine to get the smilies back! :) :) :D :cool: :rolleyes: :eek:

Ron Mummert
09-17-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by ensteele93

Get out your BIG HAMMER again. If that doesn't work, I'd try that Box o Wine to get the smilies back! :) :) :D :cool: :rolleyes: :eek:

Hmmm....Box 'o mallets?

Wait!! I could do the smilies from my work computer, but not from old reliable here at home. Could there be a connection!!!???
Geek-thought welcome!

Ron