PDA

View Full Version : empy din slot idea

kjoyes
01-09-2012, 10:57 PM
i was looking for cup holder when it came to me cause i am also looking at replacing my factory radio.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIN-Car-Carbon-Fibre-Double-Drink-Cup-Holder-DVD-IPod-/230592900731?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b0686e7b
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Supra-Corolla-Double-Din-Pocket-Cup-Holder-Box-/230592901084?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b0686fdc
ya empty.

Lookin4SVX
01-10-2012, 12:48 AM
If you installed in the bottom slot, I don't think that would clear the radio cage door.
I think the bottom of the holder would hit the inside of the door and not fold out properly.

Maybe if you installed it in the top slot, maybe.

I wish they had dimensions on how far the bottom of the can sits under the tray.

Anyone got one these type things???

92snowmachine
01-10-2012, 08:20 AM
my brother had one of those in hone of his subarus. it worked well for drinks but when mounted in the bottom you couldn't reach all the buttons on the radio.

huck369
01-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Won't work well in the SVX because it doesn't pull out enough, the way the stereo sets "Back" in the dash on the SVX makes it not very useful.
I put one out of a Legacy in the 94 FWD I had for a while, would hold a can, but not a cup because of it setting back in the dash...

SURTEESS
01-10-2012, 11:41 AM
have sent the seller a question regarding swapping drawer to bottom & cup holder to top area eg take each out rotate & place back into same slots.

kjoyes
01-10-2012, 05:19 PM
well let me know if you hear back from the seller.
could you modified the cup holder, to get it to to stick out a little more?
i know my jvc double din stood out farther than my stock radio?

SURTEESS
01-11-2012, 12:32 PM
ok - seller has replied (not really very helpful) -

Hi,

It may be possible, but the biggest problem is taking the drawers out. There are plastic tabs which act as stops, and it is very dificult indeed to extract the drawer without breaking the tabs off.

So I have asked him to try it on one, but from the answer above I think he is just a middle man that has no stock - buys them from China as required? So have once again asked him to try & remove both pullouts - without breaking any tabs..... told him he might get a group buy of 25-50 units from this club if he could achieve this.

Will keep you posted.

kjoyes
01-11-2012, 03:18 PM
it would be nice to have a member buy one and be the guinea pig to see if this could be an option.

SURTEESS
01-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Yes - but I am not requiring one at the moment, anyone else want to be the guinea pig?

Landshark
01-11-2012, 04:04 PM
You can put your weed in there, man

SURTEESS
01-12-2012, 09:58 AM
ok - here is the reply from the Ebay supplier -

Hi,

I disassembled one and it is possible to have the cup holder on top, but only with a modification inside, as the stops aren't quite lining up. This modification will have to be done by the manufacturer.

The units are slightly different from DIN size, the measurements are given in the description.

If you would like to proceed with this, the first thing to do is buy a cup holder and check that it will definately fit the SVX.
Then, I'll contact the manufacturer to double check that this modification can be done.
I'll come back to you and get approxiamte numbers to see if it is worthwhile (50pcs should be okay).
Then take a deposit and proceed with the order!

Thanks
- dindevices

And with that reply, it is now up to someone to purchase 1 unit - for trial prupose, before reporting back to "dindevices" that the size fits the SVX correctly - then we can get on with a group buy?.
(I at this moment do not require a unit - but would be prepared to buy 2 for future use).

Jay Wrix
02-02-2012, 09:36 PM
i might have to bite the bullet and be a guina pig,

lemme sleep on it....

lol@ treb comment.

I seriously want a cupholder, reminds me of the one in the gfs legacy wagon,

I wouldnt like to take my cb out of my lower din thou!

Huskymaniac
09-25-2012, 04:58 AM
Did anyone every try one of these?

aust92pearl
09-25-2012, 07:01 PM
i found one for $20
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAR-DVD-CD-DOUBLE-DIN-CUP-HOLDER-STORAGE-TRAY-EVO-EG-/180974926065?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a22f238f1
im willing to give it a try

Huskymaniac
10-01-2012, 10:23 AM
I think I have decided to make a custom cup holder...or, at least, try to. The idea is to get a simple pocket for the upper din slot after putting the new, single din, radio in the bottom slot. Then, to get the clearance Huck mentioned above, I will make a custom holder out of an aluminum sheet and four pieces of foam rubber. The cup holes will be cut out of the aluminum sheet and the sheet can be made long enough to extend out so that the cups don't interfere with the dash. This would just push into the pocket.

Right now, there are no arms in the plans for under the cup. I suppose I could attach some brackets under the smaller hole for water bottles.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16706&d=1349108550

aust92pearl
10-07-2012, 04:39 AM
i found one for $20
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAR-DVD-CD-DOUBLE-DIN-CUP-HOLDER-STORAGE-TRAY-EVO-EG-/180974926065?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a22f238f1
im willing to give it a try

turns out my plan to swap top tray with bottom drink holder bit doesn't work :(
the arm that holds the drink up gets caught in the bottom tray
and even with tray turned upside down it gets caught pushing it back in ...

**Ewie**
10-07-2012, 10:37 PM
my brother had one of those in hone of his subarus. it worked well for drinks but when mounted in the bottom you couldn't reach all the buttons on the radio.

My 97 GT-B had a factory cupholder that popped out of the dash. It was located directly above the radio and completely blocked it when the holder was in use.

Old Davy
10-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Darn shame about the double drawer DIN cupholder. I had a 98 Legacy GT with the pop-out cup holder and loved it. Never broke in a decade's worth of use.
I've gotten used to the 2006 Outback XT's in-line wells although a tall cup or bottle tends to get hung up on the armrest lip ( I have the JDM extended console box armrest).

When I got the SVX I despaired of how I was going to transport coffee. I could picture my elbow breaking off the console lid as I reached back for the cup. Nonetheless, I must have at least two cups of java standing by on long trips and even just heading into work it's a pain to have to put a takeout coffee tray on the passenger floormats...an accident waiting to happen.
Tried out the wedge and took it right back after a test fit because I knew it would eventually scuff up the pass seat and console.

Here is my first workable solution:

Years ago you could get this double cup holder with flat trays front & back as well as a coin stacker on the side. With molded teeth on the bottom it was meant to grip console-less hump carpet. Used it in the boat until I got gimbal mounts.
With some forethought and judicious trimming it's a fairly perfect snug fit between the shifter and e-brake handle. It only allows the shifter to pull back to DRIVE but it does put the drink cups easily to hand without contortion.
Section of back tray I left in place sorta hooks under the brake handle and the bottom & sides are padded with felt. The sides squarely straddle the console and do not contact the seat leather. It removes in seconds by lifting the front edge. Yes, it angles toward the rear but the deep cup wells - I have yet to spill a drop.

Haven't seen these in years but If you can still find one give it a shot.

Old Davy
10-08-2012, 07:44 PM
But wait...there's more...

As much as I like my tray and feel lucky to have stumbled across the idea, all along what I was really looking for is a small simple double cup holder I could mount in the same position without all that extra plastic bulk. Really adverse to anything that requires mutilation of OEM console or dash.

I've found this:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Durable+Convenient+Auto+Car+Truck+Mount+Dual+ Drink+Cup+Holder+Can+Bottle+Stand&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Measuring 6.38inch x 3.27inch x 1.81inch tall it is more compact than what I'm using and will allow the shifter to pull all the way back It should also sit more level on that section of the console.
I expect it is molded of a flexible vinyl plastic although the chrome flip rings are probably hard styrene. If I feel these rings are too breakable I'll surround them with some rubber weatherstrip to snug them in the wells. With the flip-up rings it accommodates jumbo cups & bottles - bonus.
I have no qualms about sticking one to the console top. If my measurements are correct it will blend in as virtually original.

I've ordered two and will report back when I've had a chance to assess them.
for use in our SVXs.

Old Davy
10-25-2012, 08:30 PM
A pair of "Durable Convenient Auto Car Truck Mount Dual Drink Cup Holder Can Bottle Stand" arrived in the mail today.
They are exactly as described, cheap & cheezy manufacture but strong plus points in all the right places. Does what I need it to do - securely hold two take-out cups, pop cans or small water bottles side by side at arm's reach with minimal distraction.
Two 2.5" adhesive foam discs on the flat bottom stick to the console without damaging the surface. Allows shifter to knock back to 1rst gear position. (The foam disc pads at the bottom of the wells are sloppily applied off center and serve no useful purpose).

What is a surprise is how small those inner flip rigs are. Must have very small takeout beverage cups in the Asian countries. Inside diameter of the rings is barely 2 1/16". So the solidly molded rings are useless for North American coffees (and I will be removing them).
But, rings flipped up the large wells are 2 5/8" dia with a taper that perfectly cradles a standard paper cup or can or travel mug, so perfect that there is no danger a full cup would tip over on hard cornering.

The base adheres flat on the console without hanging over the edges and the refreshingly simple design looks good. Sure, it would be nice if they were carved from a billet of aluminum...but they're not. They could use a coat of paint or PlastiDip to match the interior and the molding inside the wells is very rough - they could benefit from a stick on rubber liner.
As is, the base is painted satin silver and the top trim is chromed plastic.

So, for ~$4.50 each delivered free to your doorstep I'm calling them a solution if your idea of commuter beverage access does not involve clamping it between your thighs or twisting sideways cracking the lid off the console cubby.

icingdeath88
10-26-2012, 08:37 AM
^ Cool idea. Doesn't really seem like it would work well with a stickshift, due to needing to use the e-brake a lot though.