PDA

View Full Version : cigar lighter removal

fasteract
09-07-2002, 10:02 AM
Not a terribly technical question, but would like to replace the lighter since it is the only thing on my '92 that doesn't function. There is 12V to the unit but the receptacle is shot...how does one remove the unit specifically? I would hope someone knows exactly what areas need to be removed so I can avoid unnecessary work. Much thanks to those "in the know"

Craig

Aredubjay
09-07-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by fasteract
Not a terribly technical question, but would like to replace the lighter since it is the only thing on my '92 that doesn't function. There is 12V to the unit but the receptacle is shot...how does one remove the unit specifically? I would hope someone knows exactly what areas need to be removed so I can avoid unnecessary work. Much thanks to those "in the know"

Craig

Craig,
I've done this dastardly deed. No easy task, unless you have small hands and lots of patience. I have the small hands, but the patience factor was somewhat lacking. I got it done anyway. A lot of swearing took the place of the patience.

First off, make sure the receptical is actually, really shot. Mine stopped working until I bent the little tabs toward the center of the lighter. The tab not only serve to hold the lighter, but serve to ground the lighter, the cellphone adaptor, whatever. Try bending them in with a key or small screwdriver first.

If you're adept at removing the radio, I'd do that. It would make things easier. I did NOT remove the radio (this was before I'd removed the radio and the thought of it frightened me :eek: ). What I did was Remove the ashtray and worked my fingers through the space toward the lighter. Then, with the radio door dropped, placed the other hand through the rubber divider. I used the fingertips on the hand through the radio divider to hold the sleeve on the receptical and the fingertips on the "ashtray side" hand to begin to loosen the ridged ring at the base of the receptical. Remembering the rule of "righty tighty" you'll have to begin to undo the ring toward the passenger's side. The ring is about the size of a quarter with little "bumps" on it. Once it is off, make sure it slides down the wire that is attached to the lighter. You don't want to lose that sucker in the hoary neder regions of the console. Once the ring is off, the sleeve will also slide down the wire. The sleeve holds the electricals for the light for the lighter and also for the ashtray. You won't easily lose that piece. Once the receptical is free from the ring and the sleeve, alls you'll have to do is remove the one wire to the back of the receptical (remember that the "ring" is on that wire, so, don't just let it drop).

Replacement is reversal of above, with the ring being a real pain in the butt to get threaded on (in my case, anyway). I think I've got a blurry pic of the back of the unit (I have one sitting in front of me as I type this -- including the faux wood surround). I'll see if I can dig it up. Meanwhile, lots o' luck.

Aredubjay
09-07-2002, 11:39 AM
Here's a side view, oriented to the way you'll be approaching the lighter.

Aredubjay
09-07-2002, 11:41 AM
And, here's one with the ring removed.

Aredubjay
09-07-2002, 11:43 AM
Here's one looking directly at the back of the unit.