PDA

View Full Version : ECUtune Stage2Av1 and Stage2Av1F

longassname
08-07-2011, 06:36 PM
After being in trial for around a year Stage2Av1 is now in full release, replacing Stage2v7.

The changes from Stage2v7 to Stage2Av1 mirror the changes from Stage1v5 to Stage1Av1. Full performance timing is implemented in the primary timing table so it is not necessary for the ECU to use the knock sensors to learn in ignition advance. This change results in more ignition advance for more performance and better mpg on all cars. On forced induction cars it makes all the difference in the world.

Stage2Av1F is the flex fuel version. The defualt tuning on Stage2Av1F is for gasoline and is the same as the default tune on the regular Stage2Av1. Applying power to the input pin on the memory adapter switches to tuning for E85 fuel. The E85 tuning is the one tune that still uses the ignition timing learning function of the ECU to learn in even more ignition advance in addition to its generous primary ignition timing table.

Tapani
09-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Is anyone actually running with E85 and Stage2Av1F? I read thru the old postings.... what is the current status of all this?

Thanks,

Tapani

Tapani
10-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Ok,

Now I have all parts for stage 2. Are the injector connections + and -, i.e. is it irrelevant which wire is connected to which pin? I succeeded easing out the pins from the both old and new connectors, but the lock tabs on the connectors are on opposite sides so I must rotate either each wire 180 degrees - left will be left - or both wire combined (with the connector) - left will be right. I hope that makes sense :)

How about the N62 MAF connections? The original has white, red/black, black, orange. The N62 MAf has white, black, orange, white/black wires in that order (left to right). The pins are different design to these wires must be cut. How to connect?

Thanks,

Tapani

icingdeath88
10-18-2011, 12:38 PM
http://www.ecutune.com/SVX-Stage-2v7-Instructions.pdf

If you haven't already seen this. What you can also do with the injectors is shave off the keyed parts of the plug on the injector so that they'll plug into the stock connectors. (That's what I'm planning on doing.) I'm not sure on the MAF, but when you figure it out let us all know. :)

Tapani
10-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Well, the MAF seems to be explained in the instruction sheet - I guess I didn't read it carefully enough :-).

The new type plugs are real cheap and the pins come out real easy. 10 minutes for all 6. Left to left and right to right should be right, right?

Till tomorrow !

Tapani

icingdeath88
10-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Left to left and right to right should be right, right?

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure without having the parts in front of me.

Tapani
10-18-2011, 08:53 PM
From Chris @ Deatchwerks:

"Unless the terminals are marked (I’ve only seen these on a select few injectors), the polarity isn’t specific."

Got the same result with Google.

Tapani

icingdeath88
10-18-2011, 09:31 PM
From Chris @ Deatchwerks:

"Unless the terminals are marked (I’ve only seen these on a select few injectors), the polarity isn’t specific."

Got the same result with Google.

Tapani

Cool. That's good. The MAF seems trickier.

Tapani
10-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Ok,

Stage 2 runs good, pulls strong all the way to redline. Not enough miles to report exact AFR figures, ain't lean @ 5PSI - that's for sure :). Can't beat the wide band, recommended to all who want to know what's really going on.

For the MAF wiring check out http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/tech_details.asp

Open the "WIRING A 90-96 300ZX MASS AIR SENSOR INTO OTHER NISSAN CONTROL SYSTEMS" pdf.

The N62 MAF pins are labelled A to F starting from the left. The SVX (1992) pins are labelled 1 to 5 starting from the right. (Both viewed from the harness side of the plug).

A not used
B MAF signal 0-5V, connect to white wire, pin 4
C ground, connect to black/red wire, pin 3
D ground (shield), connect to black wire, pin 2
E +12V supply, connect to red wire, pin 1
F not used

Tapani

icingdeath88
10-19-2011, 10:26 PM
^Thank you! You're the man, Tapani. :)

Tapani
10-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Swapping the injectors on the left bank is a ***** w/o removing the LP A/C hose. The old O-rings bite hard :-).

Also, quite a bit of fuel will drain into the cylinders when the injectors are pulled.... it might be wise to remove plugs and crank the engine before starting - I didn't :eek:.

I also bought a 300 l/h ethanol compatible fuel pump from Deatschwerks.... still have to swap this and all rubber hoses before I will try the E85. This will have to wait 'till next spring - the alcohol doesn't like to be stored for a long time..... winter is almost here - time to drive the Outback.

Tapani

1986nate
10-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Swapping the injectors on the left bank is a ***** w/o removing the LP A/C hose. The old O-rings bite hard :-).

Also, quite a bit of fuel will drain into the cylinders when the injectors are pulled.... it might be wise to remove plugs and crank the engine before starting - I didn't :eek:.
Tapani

Just unplug the fuel pump fuse and run it til it dies. Then crank it over a few more times just to be sure :)

Tapani
10-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Yeah, but the rails are full of (non-pressurized) fuel and quite a bit will drain into the combustion chambers (side feed injectors).

TApani

NikFu S.
10-20-2011, 01:16 AM
After being in trial for around a year Stage2Av1 is now in full release, replacing Stage2v7.

The changes from Stage2v7 to Stage2Av1 mirror the changes from Stage1v5 to Stage1Av1. Full performance timing is implemented in the primary timing table so it is not necessary for the ECU to use the knock sensors to learn in ignition advance. This change results in more ignition advance for more performance and better mpg on all cars. On forced induction cars it makes all the difference in the world.

Stage2Av1F is the flex fuel version. The defualt tuning on Stage2Av1F is for gasoline and is the same as the default tune on the regular Stage2Av1. Applying power to the input pin on the memory adapter switches to tuning for E85 fuel. The E85 tuning is the one tune that still uses the ignition timing learning function of the ECU to learn in even more ignition advance in addition to its generous primary ignition timing table.

Is there any added risk of upgrading with only 90 grade fuel available?

Tapani
10-23-2011, 05:14 AM
Ok,

After driving for a few days a bit more info: The AFR is good, closed loop 14,7 under most normal driving in traffic. Very steady 12 under full throttle all the way to redline. Fat midrange and pulls strong - very pleased, the turbo is "invisible", it spools below stall speed and holds the 5PSI boost all the way.

Full throttle up and down shift are crisp with the reworked valve body (stock TCU untill I get the revised maps).

The only glitch is a fairly rich low idle..... if the AC is on and idle aroun 800rpm all is well. If the AC is off and the idle drops to 550-600 the AFR drops to 11-12-13 and hovers there. The idle is smooth, though - but it won't pass emission test if the AC is not on :eek:. I saw earlier posts regarding the low idle, but that was more on the feel - not AFR related.

Anyone else?

Also on occations it takes quite a bit more cranking to fire up, especially when the engine is semi warm.... could be on the rich side here too.

Tapani

Edit later today: I am embarassed - but glad to report, that today I drove quite a while w/o AC and the AFR fluctuates around 14,7 at low idle exactly how it is supposed to do :-). I only today found the time to hook up the ECUtuner and all seems logical. O2 voltages are min 0,08 and max 0,82 for both banks, the alpha figures are approximately -2 and -5 for low idle in neutral, 0 and -3 @ 875rpm in drive and they close in towards -3 for both banks under light throttle in drive against the brakes. The MAF voltage is 1,02V @ 575 rpm in neutral - must be very close to its lower end and 1,12V @ 875 rpm in drive. The injector time on idle fluctutaes between 1,78 and 2,08 msec.

Is there an adapting function on idle mixture control?

longassname
10-23-2011, 07:50 AM
The main thing you will get affecting your afr at idle is the coolant temp based fuel enrichment. If your coolant temp is cold the ECU will richen the afr up substantially. As the coolant temp reading increases the enrichment decreases. At operating temp the ECU switches to using the o2 sensors to rapidly fluctuate afr around stoichiometric.

Tapani
10-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Yes, all my observations have been when fully warmed up. It actually goes into closed loop very quickly even after a cold (35F) start up - just a few miles is required - just like it did before. The only thing was the low idle richness. Let's see how it goes :-). Driveability is excellent, no hickups and tons of torque (relatively speaking, of course).

For some reason I even get the full throttle up shifts at around 6800 rpm. This was hard to investigate when I hit the fuel cut off at five grand before the stage 2. Seems to work now, at least with the stock TCU (with incorrect gearing parameters).

Tapani

immortal_suby
11-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Stage 2 update: just drove 1700+ miles (from SC to NY and back) on Stage2Av1 and got the best mileage I have ever done in my 193k miles of svx ownership. High tank was 27mpg. Averaged 26mpg. This was on my 92 svx which flipped 293,000 miles during the trip. Speeds were in the 70-80 range with gps average for the entire trip at ~70mph. This wasn't easy highway mileage, this was up over the mountains through west virginia, virginia, PA mileage. Car was full of my deer hunting gear as well.

The amazing part to me is that I wasn't trying to do good on mileage. I was moving swiftly throughout the trip trying to make good time. I don't slow down going up big hills, in fact I usually get up to around 80 so the engine is making enough power to go right up without unlocking the TC or losing speed.

Great software! Thanks LAN!

longassname
03-23-2012, 09:36 PM
I guess this is as good a place as any to post this: The SVX ECU is programmed with a slow idle and a fast idle. It uses the fast idle when the AC is on and the pressure switch is activated. If the AC isn't on or the pressure switch isn't active like when it's colder than the ac is set to it uses the slow idle. A lot of camshaft profiles/combinations that perform very well in the SVX give it a really surgy slow idle. I've been able to fix this with some modifications to the data thresholds used for the slow idle in combination with adjustments to the idle stop screw on the throttle body; however, this has proven difficult to impossible for a lot of others.

Every cam profile I've made or has been made by others who communicate with me still idle well at fast idle (when the ac is on and the ac pressure switch is activated). This gave me the idea to just force the ECU into fast idle whether the ac is on or not. This should enable anyone with cams to have a good idle without having to make adjustments to the idle stop (which can't even be done right without either the ECUtuner software/interface or a select monitor).

While my explanation of slow idle vs fast idle is simple and straight forward the actual implementation of it in the firmware is lengthy and hopelessly entertwined with lots of stuff. The most straight forward way to modify the code to accomplish the goal was to set the bits which indicate the ac is on and the ac pressure switch is on: bits 2h and 20h of fa0 which is stored in memory at 105a. This modification is available as a special order in my stage1av1 or stage2av1 but I'm going to give you the technical details here so it's public in case I get hit by a bus or something.

The ECU writes 105a as a whole byte. The location of the code will vary depending on the version of firmware your ECU has but the code will be the same and will only occur at one location so you can easily search it out. It is:

8D5A10 <-that means store acl A to memory location 105a

I replace that code with the following:

20F08F <-that means jump to sub routine at 8FF0

8FF0 is just a blank space where I could store my code. My code does an or with the accumulator contents which sets the bits for the ac and ac pressure switch if they aren't already set, then it writes the acl contents to 105a and returns. It is, of course, placed at 8ff0 and reads as follows:

0922 <-that means or acl a with 22
8d5a10 <-that means store acl a to 105a
60 <-that means return to sender

To make a long story short it works as planned so with this modifcation we can make SVXs with performance camshafts idle well without having to make complicated adjustments.

icingdeath88
03-23-2012, 11:47 PM
If I send you my stage 2 can you do this for me?

longassname
03-25-2012, 06:58 PM
If I send you my stage 2 can you do this for me?

Ya I can do that.

svxfiles
03-25-2012, 10:22 PM
BTW, I have two ECUTune 1AV1 upgrade chips that I will be bringing to Reading, so if youse Guys want some better performance and gas milage, maybe I can install them at Reading, justdon't tell Di!:eek:
:o

pearlm30
04-16-2012, 07:17 AM
I might be interested. PM you for details

BTW, I have two ECUTune 1AV1 upgrade chips that I will be bringing to Reading, so if youse Guys want some better performance and gas milage, maybe I can install them at Reading, justdon't tell Di!:eek:

Freeman
04-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Bring a few lol.

THE NEW GUY
07-22-2012, 11:19 PM

just some question: where is Reading? What is a PM?
will a second stage chip change (2av1) improve the mileage compared with a firts stage chip change (1av1)?
thanks

svxfiles
07-23-2012, 07:43 AM
just some question:
1)where is Reading?
2)What is a PM?
3)will a second stage chip change (2av1) improve the mileage compared with a firts stage chip change (1av1)?
thanks

1) Reading, is the/an anual SVX get together held in Morgantown Pennsylvania, USA.
2) A PM is a "Private Message" as used by people on The Network.
3) The Stage 2, version Agressive, is to allow more power from our engines if they have been modified to make more power.
So the answer is no, they are not for better gas milage.

THE NEW GUY
07-24-2012, 11:30 PM
1) Reading, is the/an anual SVX get together held in Morgantown Pennsylvania, USA.
2) A PM is a "Private Message" as used by people on The Network.
3) The Stage 2, version Agressive, is to allow more power from our engines if they have been modified to make more power.
So the answer is no, they are not for better gas milage.

as always, you have the direct answers I´m looking for. Thanks SVXFILES.
two more questions,
1.- is the 1av1 capable of extract more power from my car compared with an old version of stage 2 (2v6) and changing the injectors and MAF? which configuration is better despite the cost?
2.- how to send a PM to somebody?
thanks again.