PDA

View Full Version : Low Mileage SVX around PA

cm95
07-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Hey, i just got my license a few days ago and am 16. My mom has an SVX and i love driving it so i figured id get my own. ive been researching them for about the past two years and have a lot of plans for mine. Im looking for one around the 95-97 range but ill consider all years. Im looking for one either white or black with still a decent paint job and not too much rust. Id like to have one where someone has already done a good 5 speed swap and its in good condition. And something with low miles... im willing to spend up to around $3500 if the miles are right and the car is in excellent condition.

Thanks!
-Cole

Sean486
07-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Hey, i just got my license a few days ago and am 16. My mom has an SVX and i love driving it so i figured id get my own. ive been researching them for about the past two years and have a lot of plans for mine. Im looking for one around the 95-97 range but ill consider all years. Im looking for one either white or black with still a decent paint job and not too much rust. Id like to have one where someone has already done a good 5 speed swap and its in good condition. And something with low miles... im willing to spend up to around $3500 if the miles are right and the car is in excellent condition.

Thanks!
-Cole

What color is your Mom's SVX, I am wondering if it is one of the ones that I have seen around town?

Manarius
07-13-2011, 06:24 PM
I am interested in the presence of another SVX as well.

BTW, 3500 isn't going to get you a low mileage SVX or a 5mt one in this area. Also, 3500 isn't going to get you excellent condition either.

Honestly, as someone who purchased an SVX when he was 19, I wouldn't advise it to someone buying their first car. Keep in mind it's over 15 years old and has rare and expensive parts. Unless you have a steady job while you're in high school, I really wouldn't advise buying an SVX as your first car. I'd stick to a early 90's Legacy because the parts are cheaper and easier to come by.

I really understand the allure of the car and I really love mine, but having been in your position (but a little bit older), I have to stick with my recommendation.

ensteele
07-13-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Manarius. If you are going to get what you suggest, it will be in the $7,500 range. :o $3,500 will get you one that doesn't have much rust, and fairly good shape with around 100,000 miles, but no manual swap. :) If you do find one, that is a great deal! Go for it. :)

cm95
07-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Im willing to spend whatever if the right car comes along. i wouldn't mind 100,000+ miles if the car was right. I prefer a 5 speed swap but i can do it myself too. and to reply to the earlier message, she doesn't drive the car all that much, but its a 92 claret.

Conn SVX
07-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Don't pass up a good 4.44 swap if U find one. I agree $3,500 is a Tuff # to shoot for. $5,000 and 140,000 miles is realistic. I don't know what is worse a poor running SVX that needs mechanical work or a poor body SVX that need rust repair and repaint and maybe interior. Both can run into $1,000s

thumper_svx
07-17-2011, 08:55 AM
I will say that if you're willing to wait, I am thinking of selling my 96 but not until November / December timeframe. It's a 1996 with 148K miles (currently) and a 4.44 swap. I do love driving it, but honestly I have started to find that perhaps I have outgrown the SVX (this is my fourth).

I don't regret buying it, but a part of me just wants to get back into a new Bimmer. It's hard to beat those RWD dynamics and the telepathic steering. AWD is really overkill most of the time in St. Louis; we hardly ever get enough snow to make it worthwhile. Besides, I can work from home if I get stranded... or a good set of snow tires does a fantastic job.

So... PM me if you're interested. If I decide to sell then I will definitely be listing it here on the board. I'll do a good deal and even try to work out a good way to deliver it. I'm certainly not averse to driving the car wherever.

Conn SVX
07-17-2011, 06:04 PM
There you go worth the wait for a good one.

cm95
07-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks everyone for the help. The main thing I'm looking for in the car is the mileage to be down and just most everything working. I wouldn't mind having to repaint for the most part or fix the interior some.