PDA

View Full Version : Going turbo at last!

Gearhead843
06-14-2011, 05:15 AM
My SVX's issues are finally all sorted, and she's been going good. :)

Anyway, I crave more power. And thus, I'm going to attempt to go turbo, with help from a friend of mine who owns a pretty good turbo SVX setup. I've got a general idea of what I need, its just waiting, and working hard for the money to afford the bits!

I just wanted to share my project with my fellow SVX'ers and get feedback and tips with this build I'm attempting.

You can follow the project on my project blog:
Project Turbo SVX (http://turbosvx.blogspot.com/)

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice and support!

icingdeath88
06-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Your blog says you have a '97? You will have a hell of a time getting LAN's stage 2 stuff to work with the OBD2 ECU.

LetItSnow
06-14-2011, 10:11 AM
The 2v7 is surely out, but it'll be interesting to see if the AFC will be able to maneuver the MAF and injectors as needed.

httrdd
06-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Cool and keep us in the loop with updates. Looking to do this to my swapped car next year.

Gearhead843
06-14-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm going to try to do everything whilst taking as many notes as possible, so that I could possibly offer this as a custom kit.

Gearhead843
06-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Since I'm trying to develop a kit for this, I've added a donation button as well, which will go towards producing a working, easy to install kit, among other mods for the SVX.

Gearhead843
06-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Your blog says you have a '97? You will have a hell of a time getting LAN's stage 2 stuff to work with the OBD2 ECU.

Not going to be using the Stage 2 bits, I'm going to rely strictly on the AFCneo to modify the air signal from the MAF to run the bigger injectors, and I'll be running a "blow-thru" type setup. In theory it should work without issue, if not, I'll have to go Hydra.

Phast SVX
06-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Not going to be using the Stage 2 bits, I'm going to rely strictly on the AFCneo to modify the air signal from the MAF to run the bigger injectors, and I'll be running a "blow-thru" type setup. In theory it should work without issue, if not, I'll have to go Hydra.

Sorry chap, this wont cut it. Start thinking about the hydra.

Gearhead843
06-21-2011, 03:28 AM
I've done some reading, and have a friend with an SVX with this setup, it works alright, I'll probably go with the hydra by tax time next year. I'm thinking about selling the AFC and going with an AEM FI/C, which has support for ignition as well as fuel, and should be able to work with the SVX, though it hasn't been done before. I'm all for pioneering.

1986nate
06-23-2011, 09:50 PM

I'd listen to this guy.:lol::lol:;)

Johnybeas
06-24-2011, 03:40 PM
psst... don't waist your time fussing with the other stuff... just get a hydra... you can even get a stage II and upgrade in the future when you get more cash. Check out the thread on the new system...deffinitely worth all it's pennies I've tuned on AEM series I and II, Motec, Cobb, Hondata, Link, etc. etc. the list goes on. By far the best program I've seen is the Hydra.

Johnybeas
06-24-2011, 03:50 PM
I've done some reading, and have a friend with an SVX with this setup, it works alright, I'll probably go with the hydra by tax time next year. I'm thinking about selling the AFC and going with an AEM FI/C, which has support for ignition as well as fuel, and should be able to work with the SVX, though it hasn't been done before. I'm all for pioneering.

On another note, the afc is nowhere near as effective as running an actual map sensor like the hydra has, you are still taking one source of information and guestimating the rest of the values. With the hydra you are pulling a lot more information for a higher resolution tune. Also an AEM FI/C is for a very basic setup, typically four banger hondas etc. It does not have the capacity to actually manage the EG33 correctly, especially under boost. Likelyhood of your values being off and you blowing up a few eg33's before getting it close to right and spending way more in engines and dyno time than you would if you just did it right the first time and went with a full stand alone. Just my .02

Myxalplyx
07-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Any more info on your buddy's setup? If his works ok/great, no sense in re-inventing the wheel. What kind of setup does he have and how is it working for him? Any reason not to sell his setup as a kit if it works well? Thanks for any input.

Gearhead843
08-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Just a random update, I've stopped the turbo project until my Legacy 5-Speed swap is complete. However, I am planning on running MegaSquirt for a complete engine management system.