PDA

View Full Version : Seat Compatibility

SVXMAN2001
04-17-2011, 08:07 PM
I tried the search function and wasn't too successful. I am trying to determine whether there are other seat options (driver/passenger front seats) be it from subaru or other manufacturers that would be compatible with the svx. I'd like to stick with leather and have seats with a bit more bolster for the driver's seat (I have the koni/gc setup and am tired of sliding out of my seat when going through corners spiritedly!). Thoughts and/or suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

- Chris

icingdeath88
04-18-2011, 07:48 PM
What fits is what you can make fit. There might be some Legacy/Impreza ones that come close, but none that are a direct swap AFAIK, and none that are exactly nicer than the stock SVX leather IMO. I would just re-upholster the stock seats personally.

92 SVX
04-18-2011, 08:16 PM
What fits is what you can make fit. There might be some Legacy/Impreza ones that come close, but none that are a direct swap AFAIK, and none that are exactly nicer than the stock SVX leather IMO. I would just re-upholster the stock seats personally.

I think your missing the point of what he is asking, he isnt saying his seats are worn out, though they might be.
He is saying he wants a more sports oriented seat, one that holds you in better, such as the ones with high sides and deeper back support so you do not slide around during cornering.
From the little that I have seen the STI seats may fit that bill, though I am unsure if they are leather, you might be able to custom cover them in leather though.

Freeman
04-18-2011, 08:54 PM
I think your missing the point of what he is asking, he isnt saying his seats are worn out, though they might be.
He is saying he wants a more sports oriented seat, one that holds you in better, such as the ones with high sides and deeper back support so you do not slide around during cornering.
From the little that I have seen the STI seats may fit that bill, though I am unsure if they are leather, you might be able to custom cover them in leather though.

Some are leather and some are not. The leather ones are about $1000 or higher so you could always go with the cheaper ebay seats from China.

Crazy_pilot
04-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Bugeye WRX (02-03) seat can be made to fit and are wonderfully "huggy". I have been planning to add a set to my car for a while (actually have them sitting at home right now), and contacted Katzkin about replacing the fabric with leather to match the SVX's pleated style that the rear seats have. I believe it was ~$600 for the leather kit.

Just like this, but with the center panels done in the same style as the OEM SVX leather: (Sorry about the huge picture, NASIOC automatically downsizes them).

http://kstubblefield.home.insightbb.com/pics/IMG_2654.JPG

As a bonus, the ones I picked up are heated :D:D:D. I had planned to run the heating circuit off the power seat wiring and add the switched to the center console just like the newer Subies.

SVXMAN2001
04-19-2011, 07:12 AM
The OEM svx leather seats are comfortable, but mine are worn and I really do prefer a sportier seat with side bolsters, these seats just seem more supportive.

Crazy Pilot...what do a set (driver's/passengers front) of 02/03 WRX seats cost?
- Are they comparable in size to the stock svx seats?
- Did you peruse nasioc site for someone offering these seats?
- How difficult is the install? What is required?

I am wondering if more higher end seats would work as well...say Audi/Mercedes...???

Crazy_pilot
04-19-2011, 09:03 AM
I haven't installed mine yet, but sicksubie put a set into his car. He has a thread on the topic here (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37535&highlight=%22wrx+seats%22).

I picked mine up locally as a trade for a digital camera. It worked out to about $270.

Higher end seats... Not too sure, and would almost certainly be more work. At the end of the day I'm sure you could make nearly any set of seats fit into the car, but where does the result become worth the effort?

Freeman
04-19-2011, 09:29 AM
I'd want a rear armrest with cup holders..

SVXMAN2001
04-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Worth the effort...i am not sure, that's why I am trying to decide at this point.

Aesthetically I like the svx seats the best, but the price for brand new seats (front only) is practically $2,000. Putting seat covers on 20 year old seats doesn't make too much since IMO since the cushions themselves are worn out. And then again I will still have the lack of bolster support.

I am realizing now that I am opening a whole new can of worms looking at other seat options (Mercedes, Audi, Porsche) all of which are relatively inexpensive...i've seen porsche seats for $600.

I am just concerned with the mounting and electrical compatibility of using other manufacturers at this point...

sicksubie
04-21-2011, 08:40 AM
You can make any seat work pretty much it depends on how much you want to hack apart the rails and weld new mounting points...

Johnybeas
02-08-2012, 05:38 AM
I'm thinking of doing these seats in my SVX eventually http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=REC-255.00.LL11
with rails they are slightly heavier than the WRX standard seats, but are leather, have heat and electricity... still lighter than the stock SVX seats and better fit for race

Crazy_pilot
02-08-2012, 09:27 AM
I think the guy that redid his dash in carbon fiber had those seats, they looked really nice in the car. I would opt for an alcantra center panel in the seats though. The leather bolsters let you slide into the seat easily, and the alcantra grips your pants better to keep you there during spirited driving.

SVXMAN2001
02-08-2012, 10:36 AM
If I remember correctly that guy who had all the plastic interior pieces wrapped in carbon fiber did have Recaro seats however they were not the model cited by Johnnybeas.

That guy had clothlike seats that resembled one of the seats below...

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/product-areas/aftermarket-seats/product/overview.html

At any rate, any of these seats to include Johnnybeas are super expensive. $1,799 each! I'd like to get either the expert, ergo or orthoped ones but I can't justify the cost at the moment.

STeeL25T
02-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I think I'm planning on going with Corbeau FX1 seats for my car. I'd prefer the suede to leather any day. I don't know what they weight, but they're even cheaper than Buddy Club racing seats while looking better and having a less stupid name :)

I have one I bought locally already I'm going to test fit.

wawazat??
02-08-2012, 08:31 PM
I have the Recaro Sport seats in the vinyl/synthetic suede combination in my SVX. I bought them for autocross use as they are considerably lighter than the stock beasts and much more heavily bolstered which combined with the sueded surface makes me much more secure in the seats.

I had/have two problems with them. One, I had to fabricate custom mounts. Wedge Engineering claims to have a mount for the SVX. After three attempts, they gave up on me. I had to fab them up myself. Second, I have 4 point harnesses in the car. The buckles on the shoulder straps are a PITA to get through the holes in the seat back as they are too small. Otherwise, I love them.

Johnybeas
03-02-2012, 11:10 PM
I have the Recaro Sport seats in the vinyl/synthetic suede combination in my SVX. I bought them for autocross use as they are considerably lighter than the stock beasts and much more heavily bolstered which combined with the sueded surface makes me much more secure in the seats.

I had/have two problems with them. One, I had to fabricate custom mounts. Wedge Engineering claims to have a mount for the SVX. After three attempts, they gave up on me. I had to fab them up myself. Second, I have 4 point harnesses in the car. The buckles on the shoulder straps are a PITA to get through the holes in the seat back as they are too small. Otherwise, I love them.

http://truspeed-performance.com/images/forums/uselesspost.jpg

What kind of 4 point harness are you using, did you do both driver and passenger?

redlightningsvx
03-24-2012, 05:37 PM
So lets say I get some aftermarket universal bucket seats. Is there anyway I could just weld the svx rails to it so I don't have to make tabs and have gaps in the carpet?

Freeman
03-24-2012, 07:17 PM
So lets say I get some aftermarket universal bucket seats. Is there anyway I could just weld the svx rails to it so I don't have to make tabs and have gaps in the carpet?

Let me know what you end up getting..

redlightningsvx
03-25-2012, 10:18 AM
bump for an answer....

redlightningsvx
03-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Brett was looking at either these http://www.ebay.com/itm/260984000726?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
OR these which I like better http://www.ebay.com/itm/260988110825?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649