PDA

View Full Version : manual conversion wiring for speedo

93tzlegacy
02-05-2011, 03:03 AM
hey guys, im having issues with my speedo wiring, it seems that the sensor scaling may be incorrect, i dont get a speed reading till im in second gear, then im doing 260 (on the speedo) by the time im at the top of 4th gear.....
ill pay if anyone can sucessfully make my speedo work.
currently have a 2 wire speed sensor installed, would a 3 wire one make a difference?
thanks, Ben.

Hocrest
02-05-2011, 05:29 AM
Yeah, take the 3 wire speed sensor out of your SVX trans and swap it into the 5 speed.

93tzlegacy
02-05-2011, 05:35 AM
Yeah, take the 3 wire speed sensor out of your SVX trans and swap it into the 5 speed.

aus delivered cars dont have a speed sensor in the front diff . they use the park pawl ring as a tone ring for road speed indication, then the tcu emulates what the speed signal should be.

tomorrow as a last ditch attempt i will try and wire in the 3 wire sensor and see how that goes.
thanks, Ben.

Hocrest
02-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Ah, sorry about that. I didn't notice your location...
Not sure then, I seem to remember other posts about this though.

michael
02-05-2011, 12:49 PM
This may be the thread you were thinking of Dave.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55364&highlight=speed+sensor

93tzlegacy
02-05-2011, 03:11 PM
can anyone confirm that the sensor signal is different between the 2 and 3 wire sensors?
also is the reference voltage supposed to be 12v or 5v?
thanks, Ben.

oab_au
02-05-2011, 03:41 PM
can anyone confirm that the sensor signal is different between the 2 and 3 wire sensors?
also is the reference voltage supposed to be 12v or 5v?
thanks, Ben.

Hi Ben, yes the signal is different. The two wire is an inductive signal at a higher number of sine wave pulses per rev. The three wire is a Hall Effect with 4 square wave pulses per wheel rev.
You need to get a sensor from a US or JDM box and feed the white signal wire straight to the speedo, bypassing the TCU. You need 12 V to the sensor to run it.

Harvey.

93tzlegacy
02-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Hi Ben, yes the signal is different. The two wire is an inductive signal at a higher number of sine wave pulses per rev. The three wire is a Hall Effect with 4 square wave pulses per wheel rev.
You need to get a sensor from a US or JDM box and feed the white signal wire straight to the speedo, bypassing the TCU. You need 12 V to the sensor to run it.

Harvey.

SWEEEEEETTTTTTT. just making a 2 wire to 3 wire adaptor harness so i dont have to cut the loom i soldered together last night.
thanks, Ben.

oab_au
02-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Ben this is the wiring for the Ozzie box. You can see the wire from the No.2 sensor where it goes to the A17 pin on the TCU plug. You need to cut that wire and connect it to the yellow/red wire above it, that goes to the speedo.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/oab_au/13771.jpg

Harvey.

93tzlegacy
02-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Ben this is the wiring for the Ozzie box. You can see the wire from the No.2 sensor where it goes to the A17 pin on the TCU plug. You need to cut that wire and connect it to the yellow/red wire above it, that goes to the speedo.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/oab_au/13771.jpg

Harvey.

thanks mate , i got it working finally :D no more hair pulling :D do i need to wire the cruise control speed signal up also or is it patched into the red / yellow wire?
thanks, Ben.

oab_au
02-05-2011, 04:37 PM
thanks mate , i got it working finally :D no more hair pulling :D do i need to wire the cruise control speed signal up also or is it patched into the red / yellow wire? thanks, Ben.

I got no idea on that, but I'll have a look see what it involves.

Harvey.

93tzlegacy
02-05-2011, 05:20 PM
I got no idea on that, but I'll have a look see what it involves.

Harvey.
thanks mate , appreciate the effort :D

Dessertrunner
02-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Hi Ben,
Sounds like you have the speedo sorted. You need to make sure that the ECU is still getting a signal. I am sure Havery has pointed you in the right direction. Is it reading at the correct speed?
The cruiser won't lock in because it sees the starter on the end of the circut it does this throught the diode near the glove box. What I did was unbolt the side of the dash on the passenger side and locate the "Two Diodes" you need to pull only 1 of these, Harvey might be able to tell you which one as I am pretty flat out at the moment. That is pretty well all you have to do to get the cruiser to run.

By the way don't wire the starter throught the netural switch as it can't stand the load. Also in Australia it is not a legal requirment.
Have a great day.
Tony

93tzlegacy
02-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Hi Ben,
Sounds like you have the speedo sorted. You need to make sure that the ECU is still getting a signal. I am sure Havery has pointed you in the right direction. Is it reading at the correct speed?
The cruiser won't lock in because it sees the starter on the end of the circut it does this throught the diode near the glove box. What I did was unbolt the side of the dash on the passenger side and locate the "Two Diodes" you need to pull only 1 of these, Harvey might be able to tell you which one as I am pretty flat out at the moment. That is pretty well all you have to do to get the cruiser to run.

By the way don't wire the starter throught the netural switch as it can't stand the load. Also in Australia it is not a legal requirment.
Have a great day.
Tony thanks tony, for the starter i just bridged the 2 wires together, started fine. the cruise info would be great, harvey can you help.

Dessertrunner
02-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Ben,
Run this teat for me.
Okay so if your speedo is wired right you should be able to start the car, then unplug the small wire off the starter and then you can go for a drive and test the cruiser (need to be above 40kph). It should work. Once we find that works we can sort the next step out.
Tony

93tzlegacy
02-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Ben,
Run this teat for me.
Okay so if your speedo is wired right you should be able to start the car, then unplug the small wire off the starter and then you can go for a drive and test the cruiser (need to be above 40kph). It should work. Once we find that works we can sort the next step out.
Tony

sweet, as soon as ite registered, ill test it out (should be thursday)
thanks,
Ben.

93tzlegacy
02-16-2011, 12:35 AM
so i disconnected the starter signal once the engine was running and the cruise works, BUT i get an instant CEL as well as starter signal abnormal (12) (because the wire is disconnected i assume) and air flow meter abnormal signal (23)

anyone else have this happen? thanks, Ben.

legacyau
02-16-2011, 04:02 AM
Does the cruise engage with the starter connected? yes the cel is normal when the solenoid is disconnected for the starter anyway can't say about the 23 , for example if you do the relay mod on the starter it doesnt like it when you put the auto in neutral, the ecu gets all cranky, its a weird set up where the cruise is reliant on the starter solenoid being there :confused:

93tzlegacy
02-16-2011, 04:22 AM
Does the cruise engage with the starter connected? yes the cel is normal when the solenoid is disconnected for the starter anyway can't say about the 23 , for example if you do the relay mod on the starter it doesnt like it when you put the auto in neutral, the ecu gets all cranky, its a weird set up where the cruise is reliant on the starter solenoid being there :confused:

cruise wont work with the started connected :( looking at the wiring diagram i may be able to just remove the brown diode block behind the glove box to fix the issue ?

huck369
02-16-2011, 05:11 AM
If wired up like in my write up, the cruise will work...

Dessertrunner
02-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Pull the diode as it is the method the cruise uses to see if the starter is there. Okay to why it works this way?

On the auto the cruiser is looking through the gear change at the end of the circut is the starter. This is only there when the car is in Park, so the logic is that the designers don't want you to be able to kick the car into netural while the cruise is on.
Simply pull the diode sloves the problem.
Tony

93tzlegacy
02-16-2011, 06:08 PM
If wired up like in my write up, the cruise will work...

its an australian delivered car..... the wiring isnt the same.

huck369
02-17-2011, 05:15 AM
its an australian delivered car..... the wiring isnt the same.

I would think the Neutral Safety Switch would be similar if not the same, and wiring a Clutch position switch to fool it into thinking it was in Neutral when you push the pedal down, would allow it to start when you press in the pedal, and also kick the cruise off if you press in the peddle

93tzlegacy
02-18-2011, 02:34 AM
I would think the Neutral Safety Switch would be similar if not the same, and wiring a Clutch position switch to fool it into thinking it was in Neutral when you push the pedal down, would allow it to start when you press in the pedal, and also kick the cruise off if you press in the peddle

i understand what you mean now, i had the low current neutral wired into the clutch pedal, not the high current starter signal neutral.

Dessertrunner
02-18-2011, 12:47 PM
I your idea sounds good Huck, if I undestand what you are saying we need to clutch in to get the starter to work? Is that correct?
Tony

huck369
02-18-2011, 12:52 PM
I your idea sounds good Huck, if I undestand what you are saying we need to clutch in to get the starter to work? Is that correct?
Tony

Correct Tony,
When you press the pedal down, it allows the starter circuit to work, and in turn will kick off the cruise control when you push in the pedal (as it does in a Cruise equipped manual from the factory)
:)

93tzlegacy
02-20-2011, 03:13 AM
ended up just pulling the diodew from the loom, cruise now works, for the clutch im goung to wire a switch in parallel to the cruise brake light switch so it works as per factory.