PDA

View Full Version : Locked out :( "Trunk related"

michael
01-10-2011, 08:04 PM
My friend locked something in his trunk the other day and can't get it to open. All he has is the valet key and the dealer can't cut a key based off the VIN. The lock on the back seat is locked. Is there a way to jimmy that lock? I don't want him to have to drill the lock on the trunk. Any other suggestions?

Cam
01-10-2011, 10:06 PM
It would be cheaper to have a locksmith come out than replace the lock...most likely.

b3lha
01-11-2011, 07:36 AM
It's very hard to get into a locked SVX trunk without a key.

I suggest trying to pick the lock before drilling it.

Take a piece of thin stiff wire and bend it into a U shape like a hair grip and insert into the top and bottom of the keyway. Use this to apply a constant twisting force to the lock barrel. Then take a straight wire, push it all the way to the back of the keyway, tilt it and pull it out so you can feel it stroking the wafers as it moves.

Do this a few times. If no luck then release the twisting force so the wafers click back into place and start again. Repeat until you get bored and then resort to the drill.

RSVX
01-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Since I see no mention of it, I am guessing that the trunk release on the floor is disabled, too?

ensteele
01-11-2011, 11:55 PM
My exact question. The other thing is that they should be able to cut a key. :confused:

Hocrest
01-12-2011, 05:03 AM
My exact question. The other thing is that they should be able to cut a key. :confused:
I've heard that if the dealer that originally sells the car doesn't properly register the key to the VIN in SOA's system, that you'll never be able to get the key cut with the VIN.

Another option is to take the passenger door apart to get the key code of the lock cylinder on that side.

michael
01-12-2011, 05:50 AM
The lock on the trunk itself has been set so it can't be opened from the lever in the front. I guess the vin was never properly registered because they said they can't do the key from that. Dave, you mention a key code? would it be on that usually corroded lump of lead called a lock cylinder? They can do a key off that? I'll let him know. No possibility of quickly unlocking the back seat? I don't think I have the skill to pick the trunk lock btw.

Hocrest
01-12-2011, 06:19 AM
Yeah, there is a code on the passenger cylinder. This is the same code stamped on the master key.

Why not try "breaking in" to your trunk. Have someone in the trunk with a flashlight, while you work in the back seat to see if there's a way to do it.

ZMan
01-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Yeah, there is a code on the passenger cylinder. This is the same code stamped on the master key.

Why not try "breaking in" to your trunk. Have someone in the trunk with a flashlight, while you work in the back seat to see if there's a way to do it.

UH - Have someone in the trunk??? :lol:

Marcus
01-15-2011, 04:32 AM
My friend locked something in his trunk the other day and can't get it to open. All he has is the valet key and the dealer can't cut a key based off the VIN. The lock on the back seat is locked. Is there a way to jimmy that lock? I don't want him to have to drill the lock on the trunk. Any other suggestions?

Did you try both sides of the back seat, they have separat look switches (you would be extremly unfortunate to have all three of them - this is including the drivers seat release lever - in looked position at the same time).

In case you do, it might be easier/cheaper (than fumbling with the door locks) to get a spear tail light from ebay/other member/yunk yard and smash the one at your car. This should give you as much access to the trunk as needed to move one of the rear seat levers back into unlook position.

Good luck!

Marcus

RojoRocket
01-15-2011, 08:37 AM
His car is a '92 Marcus, thus no split back seat. :)

Glenn

michael
01-15-2011, 01:52 PM
I't not my SVX but it is a 92 w/o split rear seat. I'm going to pull the pass. lock cylinder, it's much easier than one would think.

michael
01-16-2011, 02:49 PM
We took the lock out today and took it completely apart trying to find the code. I pretty sure we could have seen the code while it was still in the car. Not sure if this is it but I'm hopeful. We will see tomorrow when the dealer opens. I attached a pic of where I think the # is.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/subarusvxlsl/PhotoJan1642928PM.jpg

RojoRocket
01-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Looks like you're on the right track Michael. I just checked lock cylinders and keys from my '93, and the numbers match.

Glenn