PDA

View Full Version : WRX radio install

3.3H6
12-09-2010, 05:23 PM
has anyone done this recently? I need a few pointers and tips as to what to buy, where, and any extra tips regarding the installation.

I've had it with this useless stock head unit, it played my cd a few times, with lots of skips, now it just keeps spitting Dark Side of The Moon out at me.:mad:

thanks

Cam
12-09-2010, 05:24 PM
I have a wrx stereo. I believe it is a 2002. PM me with an offer if you'd like. I can't help much with install. It was there when I bought my car.

RojoRocket
12-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Very easy install, especially with svxdc's harness adapter. As I recall, you'll have to cut out part of the back of the cage, cut back to one antenna( from the oem diversity setup), the rear one, and good to go. Nice upgrade!

Glenn

3.3H6
12-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Very easy install, especially with svxdc's harness adapter. As I recall, you'll have to cut out part of the back of the cage, cut back to one antenna( from the oem diversity setup), the rear one, and good to go. Nice upgrade!

Glenn

where's the best place to get a good deal on that harness adapter?

1986nate
12-09-2010, 07:28 PM
where's the best place to get a good deal on that harness adapter?

The only person who makes them. SVXDC makes them. He also has his website link in his signature so search for his name on here...

3.3H6
12-09-2010, 07:30 PM
The only person who makes them. SVXDC makes them. He also has his website link in his signature so search for his name on here...

ah, well that makes it easy then, lol.

92 SVX
12-09-2010, 09:57 PM
ah, well that makes it easy then, lol.

I just bought one from him, I forgot about the antenna he luckily reminded me so I got my harness and antenna extension paid 22 dollars after shipping. and he sends it fast.

3.3H6
12-09-2010, 10:33 PM
I just bought one from him, I forgot about the antenna he luckily reminded me so I got my harness and antenna extension paid 22 dollars after shipping. and he sends it fast.

cool, thanks for the info. I've heard about extending the antenna, how much does it need to be lengthened?

RojoRocket
12-09-2010, 10:36 PM
As I recall it's only about 18".

Glenn

3.3H6
12-09-2010, 10:58 PM
awesome thanks

aust92pearl
12-10-2010, 03:54 AM
this might help also its a wiring diagram that i found when i put an outback cd player into my lil old corolla
http://ae64.com/WRX-pinout.htm

svxfiles
12-10-2010, 10:13 AM

I believe that you are incorrect on that price.:o
I just bought two of them, along with the antenna extention.
Shipping was fast, and the quality was nothing short of fantastic, but it was much closer to $40.00
Here is a link; (post #122)http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6530&page=9

3.3H6
12-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Shipping was fast, and the quality was nothing short of fantastic, but it was much closer to $40.00
Here is a link; (post #122)http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6530&page=9

so I need the svx forward to 14 pin adapter, antenna extension, and what else?

92 SVX
12-10-2010, 02:19 PM

You may be correct I only needed the plug and wiring to hook up an aftermarket stereo. which is only plug to car and open wire to solder to the aftermarket.

ensteele
12-10-2010, 06:34 PM
There is a How-To Doc in the stereo section that shows the WRX radio install. Good luck. :)

dennyo
12-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Put the same radio in mine last year after the lights on mine crapped out. It's a snap and I prefer the larger knobs,dials. I used a dremel to cut the two holes in the back of the cover for clearance.You'd never know they are there.For some reason I don't remember buying an extension for the antenna.:confused: I think the adapter w/shipping was around $48.00

3.3H6
12-11-2010, 08:21 AM
thanks everyone, I'll post an update when I get it installed in a few weeks, I'm going back home to California for Christmas.

3.3H6
01-29-2011, 11:11 AM
I did the install today, took a little under 2 hours. I had to use a dremel tool and cut the metal flanges in the back of the dash, but otherwise everything was installed pretty easily. I'll be posting pictures of various stages of installation later, I have to find the camera cable lol.

Happy to report that everything works, and it sounds much better than the original radio, which, speaking of which, if anyone wants it....

want to thank everyone who pointed me in the right direction and gave me advice.

benebob
01-30-2011, 10:06 AM
For future changeovers, the 03 Legacy GT 6 disc changer with WB fits perfectly without any changes to the door and has its controls higher up so that they are easy to get at without the door being in the way. The fonts and screen actually match the font of the car better then the original radio does.

3.3H6
02-04-2011, 10:33 AM
For future changeovers, the 03 Legacy GT 6 disc changer with WB fits perfectly without any changes to the door and has its controls higher up so that they are easy to get at without the door being in the way. The fonts and screen actually match the font of the car better then the original radio does.

Thanks, but the next step up I'm going to do is a full alpine system with usb and aux inputs, or maybe this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XwePC_Wljk
full LCARS conversion lawl