PDA

View Full Version : Lets discuss headers!

httrdd
09-24-2010, 07:02 AM
I am going to custom build long tube headers for my eg33 swaped LGT and I need some info from you guys. So far I found out 1 5/8 tubing is good for stock cams, but will it be good for milld grind cams? I saw the way Svxfiles did his bends and they look realy goood and tight to the body. Next question is how do you calculate fluid dynamics? Is there a certain length these header pipe have to be to flow correctly? What size outlet out of the collector would be the best for n/a? Thanks.

TJ

ensteele
09-25-2010, 10:45 AM
I will move this into the right forum. :)

SVXRide
09-25-2010, 08:14 PM
OT will be tacking up some unequal length headers that are designed to go with the "special sauce" intake and exhaust cams in RacerX as soon as he gets out from under the mountain of work he currently has. Stay tuned for dyno numbers once I get them TIGed up and installed.
-Bill

Crazy_pilot
09-25-2010, 09:09 PM
How long have your "special sauce" cams been coming now Bill? It must be 2 or 3 centuries at least. :lol:

svxfiles
09-25-2010, 09:25 PM
How long have your "special sauce" cams been coming now Bill? It must be 2 or 3 centuries at least. :lol:

Yes, Bill is old!Much older than dirt!:eek:
But you have to appreciate his enthusiam, his hope and his drive.:)
He ACTUALLY believes that I will "open the package" and fab his headers....

Hi Bill!:D:p

Hocrest
09-25-2010, 09:35 PM

He's just waiting for another rainy day...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SUBBYRU89/39418.JPG

httrdd
09-26-2010, 11:27 AM
OT will be tacking up some unequal length headers that are designed to go with the "special sauce" intake and exhaust cams in RacerX as soon as he gets out from under the mountain of work he currently has. Stay tuned for dyno numbers once I get them TIGed up and installed.
-Bill

Can't wait to see them when they are finished!

SVXRide
09-27-2010, 11:22 AM

Chris,
They've actually been installed for over a year now. Unfortunately, they've only got a couple of hundred miles on them (drive out and back to OT's place for an autoX last year, plus some miles up and down Rte 4 here in Calvert County when YT was here to create a 5spd Hydra map).
-Bill

SVXRide
09-27-2010, 11:23 AM
[QUOTE=Hocrest;658760]He's just waiting for another rainy day...

Gotta love the Subie rain poncho! :D
-Bill

LetItSnow
09-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Gotta love the Subie rain poncho! :D
...suitable for framing, it turns out! :)

SVXRide
09-27-2010, 11:59 AM
...suitable for framing, it turns out! :)

Yeah, can you send me a 8x10? :rolleyes::lol:

-Bill

LetItSnow
09-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Yeah, can you send me a 8x10? :rolleyes::lol:

-Bill
I don't have one, but I know someone who does.

Incidentally, somebody was talking about cams, which is still off topic: There's been a lot of talk of these and them and those... How many made it to market?

Johnny, the headers might be a better market than the intakes?

Crazy_pilot
09-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Chris,
They've actually been installed for over a year now. Unfortunately, they've only got a couple of hundred miles on them (drive out and back to OT's place for an autoX last year, plus some miles up and down Rte 4 here in Calvert County when YT was here to create a 5spd Hydra map).
-Bill

Wicked! I can't wait to see some dyno numbers.

oab_au
09-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Wicked! I can't wait to see some dyno numbers.

Yeh, plus 1.:D

Harvey.

httrdd
09-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Chris,
-Bill

Uhh do you have pics? :D

Crazy_pilot
09-28-2010, 04:35 PM

Of his camshafts?

httrdd
09-29-2010, 02:51 PM
No the headers installed.

LetItSnow
09-29-2010, 03:19 PM
C'mon up for those spraybombs and bring your camera. We'll get the Silver in the air, and you can go crazy!

httrdd
09-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Cool man can we fab them there too? ;) I need to get up there again. Awesome area!

SVXRide
09-30-2010, 10:45 AM

I will, once they're actually fabricated. Plan right now is for OT to cut/tack the SS pipe I shipped him, then I'll have my friend who's got the TIG gear weld everything up along with custom collectors (same ones YT used). What I'd like to do is then get each pipe digitized so they can be mandrel bend for future kits (assuming there is a sufficient interest in them -- OT will be the supplier, if he decides he wants to be :))

-Bill

httrdd
10-01-2010, 09:35 AM
I will be waiting on those pics then.

Coming across some money so I am gathering materials. I want to make these right with correct flow for maxuim horsepower/torque. Appeciate your guys help. Keep it coming!

TJ

httrdd
10-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Found these doing a search on svxworldforums. Nice design, but wonder if they will make a long tube version. I doubt the shortys will give a big performance gain over oem.

http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/primary_tubes.htm

httrdd
10-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Just spoke with the guy and he can get me all the bends together with mild steel for 250 plus ground shipping (about 15 bucks) He will have the flanges, collector, and bends that I request after measuring height and length. He is going to leave the tubes long so I can cut and have the collector tacked in where I want it. Is steel going to be a problem over stainless? Can someone do better for the money? Thanks.

TJ

Hocrest
10-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Are you just getting the pieces or will the bends be welded to the flange? Since rails run the engine backwards, I'm guessing the manifolds would normally be pointing the wrong way...

httrdd
10-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Are you just getting the pieces or will the bends be welded to the flange? Since rails run the engine backwards, I'm guessing the manifolds would normally be pointing the wrong way...

Trying to get all the pictures and measurements for him and then he will make them. I did not notice the flanges were backwards. I will have to make sure it is right when he makes them.

Hocrest
10-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I can't tell from the picture, but looking at the engines on his site, they are all pointed the wrong way. Just make sure when you order that he know you want them pointing towards the bellhousing and not the timing belts ;)

httrdd
10-06-2010, 05:45 AM
Where you guys buying your O2 sensors at? OEM?

svxfiles
10-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Where you guys buying your O2 sensors at? OEM?

Normally Bosch #13250 at Advance Auto Parts for about $90.00 each.
Some folks buy some NGKs for in the $50 each range, but I have not tried them yet.

httrdd
10-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks I know a guy at advance that can get me a killer discount on them.

Johnybeas
10-06-2010, 11:18 PM
I don't have one, but I know someone who does.

Incidentally, somebody was talking about cams, which is still off topic: There's been a lot of talk of these and them and those... How many made it to market?

Johnny, the headers might be a better market than the intakes?

I have a design I'm working on, but they were probably going to be done with my turbo piping in a 3 in. outlet not the stock 2.5 not sure what route I'm going right now. I'm currently trying to get the SVX back together so I can compete in the Lap battle at Miller Motorsports Park on the 30th

httrdd
11-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Ok I am getting together with a local race shop (drag cars and sprint cars) and building a set of long tubes. I went and started laying out parts need and will post updates for you n/a guys. I bought 2 new o2 sensors and a 2 1/2" high flow cat. Currently looking for mild steel merge colletors. Any of you guys have any or know where to get them for a good price? PM me if you have info.

More updates to come.

httrdd
11-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Normally Bosch #13250 at Advance Auto Parts for about $90.00 each.
Some folks buy some NGKs for in the $50 each range, but I have not tried them yet.

Bought Standards for 35 each with lifetime warrenty at A&A Auto. We knew some peeps!

httrdd
11-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Found the collectors and ordered. Should be here in a week. Buying the piping tonight.

http://www.coneeng.com/pdf/3-1%20Collector%20Kits%20PDF.pdf

httrdd
11-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Flanges are in. They are pretty damn heavy and this mild stell exhaust system is going to add some weight for sure so should be around stock weight.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/httrdd/utf-8BSU1HMDA1NDEtMjAxMDExMjgtMTQwMy5qcGc.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/httrdd/utf-8BSU1HMDA1NDItMjAxMDExMjgtMTQwMy5qcGc.jpg

httrdd
12-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Last piece to the puzzle came today! Planning the build next sunday.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/httrdd/utf-8BSU1HMDA1NDQtMjAxMDEyMDItMTk0Mi5qcGc.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/httrdd/utf-8BSU1HMDA1NDMtMjAxMDEyMDItMTk0Mi5qcGc.jpg

httrdd
12-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Anything else I need to know about before I start and buld these? I hear the primaries need to be over 30 inches to have any effective gain. Anyone else?

Johnybeas
12-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Do you have any idea what you're gonna do or are you just slapping some pipes together and callin um headers? not trying to be mean, just wondering if you're working with the race shop or have anything drawn up on how they are gonna look or if you're just wingin it.

svxfiles
12-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Anything else I need to know about before I start and buld these? I hear the primaries need to be over 30 inches to have any effective gain. Anyone else?

According to Burn's Stainless, the primaries should be 30" long,
1.75" od,
1,5/8" id,
with a collecter that is 2.25".
If you have a stock cam.

httrdd
12-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Do you have any idea what you're gonna do or are you just slapping some pipes together and callin um headers? not trying to be mean, just wondering if you're working with the race shop or have anything drawn up on how they are gonna look or if you're just wingin it.

We have a basic idea and I stole a bunch of pics of other builds so it should go well. I know from talking to svxfiles there were some requirements. This guy builds all sorts of crazy stuff so I trust he knows what he is doing. This setup is not going to have any flanges. It will have a flex pipe before the cat though.

httrdd
12-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Gasket came in today. I almost forgot about them so it was a last minute order and quick shipping. These are from smallcar.com too.

I almost decided to scrap the project due to the time to build them and the cost of parts and labor. Tomorrow the building begins. I expect it will take a couple of weekends to finish the complete exhaust.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/httrdd/utf-8BSU1HMDA1NDUtMjAxMDEyMTAtMTcwNy5qcGc.jpg

ZephTheChef
12-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Sweet! Can't wait to see some pics of this going together. Exhaust projects always make me grin.

Crazy_pilot
12-10-2010, 09:35 PM
^^ Haha, same. It's one of the things I always volunteer for at the shop. "Oh, that 'direct fit' aftermarket exhaust doesn't really work? No worries, I'll get the chop saw and welder."