PDA

View Full Version : Weak Starter?

Crazy_pilot
09-22-2010, 11:44 AM
My car has been progressively getting less happy about starting over the last few months (it cranks very slowly, barely getting past the first compression). I changed the head gaskets in August but this was occuring before then. Initially I thought this was because the battery was not holding a charge, but I tried a new battery today and the situation is unchanged. How likely is it that the starter is getting weak and just can't turn the motor fast enough? My experience with starters is that they simply die. Either the solenoid takes a crap or the motor dies, but either way it's a quick affair rather than a slow gasping death.

Now that I think of it I'm also going to check the resistance on the starter cable, make sure it's sending current properly.

Stillhoff
09-22-2010, 11:48 AM
If you have not done the "Bosch upgrade" it might be time.

Try to give the starter direct power on the solonode (blue wire). If it works you need to insert a relay between the starte and ignition, called the (bosch upgrade".

Crazy_pilot
09-22-2010, 11:56 AM
My understanding of the relay upgrade is that it cures intermittent no-start conditions. Turn key, nothing. Turn key again, start. This isn't what I have. The starter runs every time, the engine is just slow to crank.

kwren
09-22-2010, 12:33 PM
starter bearings could be worn causing a drag on the rotor...

also...

might get someone to try to start the car while you check the battery voltage to see if there is a voltage drop... and if so, how much.

Keith:cool:.

SoCal LS-L
09-22-2010, 12:39 PM

Try to give the starter direct power on the solonode (blue wire). If it works you need to insert a relay between the starte and ignition, called the (bosch upgrade".

He's not having a start signal problem at the solenoid, its just the starter cranks slow after it engages. I would check the connections and condition of the main wire from the battery to the starter. I agree starters usually take a crap by clicking clicking then starting at first, then they just die outright. Slow crank is unusual.

kwren
09-22-2010, 01:08 PM

Keith:cool:

Manarius
09-22-2010, 01:56 PM
He's not having a start signal problem at the solenoid, its just the starter cranks slow after it engages. I would check the connections and condition of the main wire from the battery to the starter. I agree starters usually take a crap by clicking clicking then starting at first, then they just die outright. Slow crank is unusual.Yanno though, I'm pretty sure the relay is an upgrade to the existing wiring, providing a better connection between the battery and the starter. I sure know that my car started a lot quicker after I put in that relay.

1986nate
09-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Yanno though, I'm pretty sure the relay is an upgrade to the existing wiring, providing a better connection between the battery and the starter. I sure know that my car started a lot quicker after I put in that relay.

Actually, that proved to be a bandaid fix. The proper fix would be replacing the relay that is already in place. That is, if there are issues. I for one have never had issues with any of the 4 SVXi that I've owned, or the couple others that I have checked out and/or worked on. Granted, mine are lower mileage that a lot that seem to be out there.

kwren
09-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Actually, that proved to be a bandaid fix. The proper fix would be replacing the relay that is already in place. That is, if there are issues. I for one have never had issues with any of the 4 SVXi that I've owned, or the couple others that I have checked out and/or worked on. Granted, mine are lower mileage that a lot that seem to be out there.

That is not the issue...

1986nate
09-22-2010, 03:34 PM
That is not the issue...

I know its not, I am correcting his info...

ZMan
09-22-2010, 03:45 PM

also...

might get someone to try to start the car while you check the battery voltage to see if there is a voltage drop... and if so, how much.

Keith:cool:.

+1 Seems like the armature in the starter motor is binding in the bushings, either from wear, or corrosion buildup, especially if the car sat for a while at one time.

I have had this exact same thing happen once, but it wasn't an SVX.

Took motor apart, could barely get the armature out it was so rusted in there. - Gave everything a good cleaning and it was fine from there on.

oab_au
09-22-2010, 04:59 PM
My car has been progressively getting less happy about starting over the last few months (it cranks very slowly, barely getting past the first compression). I changed the head gaskets in August but this was occuring before then. Initially I thought this was because the battery was not holding a charge, but I tried a new battery today and the situation is unchanged. How likely is it that the starter is getting weak and just can't turn the motor fast enough? My experience with starters is that they simply die. Either the solenoid takes a crap or the motor dies, but either way it's a quick affair rather than a slow gasping death.

Now that I think of it I'm also going to check the resistance on the starter cable, make sure it's sending current properly.

I would check for a resistance in the starter leads, when it is cranking. Check the voltage at the large starter terminal, and check for a voltage between the starter body and the battery neg terminal. Should not be any, unless one of the grounding wires is loose/missing.

Harvey.

oab_au
09-22-2010, 05:10 PM

I don't believe that was proven Nat.:)
The relay that is in the US starter system is in series with the Ignition switch and the gearbox inhibitor switch. Any of these contacts will arc and burn to reduce the current to the starter solenoid.
The right fix is to fit the Bosch relay to prevent the high current, that flows in this circuit, from damaging the contacts. As most cars have, and Subaru should have done. :)

Harvey.

kwren
09-22-2010, 07:35 PM
I know its not, I am correcting his info...

Sorry:(

Stillhoff
09-26-2010, 02:01 AM

Did you try this or did you find the problem some were else?

Crazy_pilot
09-26-2010, 07:25 AM
The car failed a starter draw test on the shop's AVR machine, so I'm ordering a new starter on Monday. Of course I'm going to check/clean all connections while it's apart.

Crazy_pilot
09-30-2010, 02:10 PM
New (reman) NAPA starter is in, car starts perfectly. NAPA is pricier than most, but comes with a lifetime warranty (and were also just about the only place in town that could get me a starter).