PDA

View Full Version : Twin turbo in the planning

Jade Dragon
09-01-2010, 08:31 AM
hey everyone. im wanting to do a nice and simple twin turbo setup. I ant to run stock internals, so low boost is all i am wanting.
Ive been doing some rough (very rough) calculations and i think a pair of TD04Ls (stock WRX) will do just nicely for adding a little more go for not too much green.
Im running into troubles with how to adjust my numbers for a twin setup. Send me some info and suggestions, im all ears... well eyes at this point.

thanks

Sov13t
09-01-2010, 09:11 AM
hey everyone. im wanting to do a nice and simple twin turbo setup.

Unfortunately there is nothing simple about it in the SVX. I recommend, don't do it.

LetItSnow
09-01-2010, 10:14 AM
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT MEANT AS DISCOURAGEMENT!

With all the success with single turbos lately, why two, especially on a budget?

NeedForSpeed
09-01-2010, 12:20 PM
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT MEANT AS DISCOURAGEMENT!

With all the success with single turbos lately, why two, especially on a budget?

Because two is cool :cool:
Come on turbo people, help him out here :D

Sov13t
09-01-2010, 01:09 PM
For TT you are looking at somewhere from $10-15k for it to be reliable and not some POS job. On a stock engine, it might last a little bit, but in the end you will need to build an engine as well, which is in the same $$$ vicinity. The SVX will require fabrication every single step of the way, there is nothing that is available off the shelf that will help you accomplish the task.

If you want to go any type of F/I you must upgrade EMS, Radiator, Injectors, Fuel pump at the very minimum. Next weakest thing is rods and pistons, which will most likely go soon depending on mileage of the car. Factor in the age of the car, the age of the various sensors, wiring harnesses and other unexpected obstacles and you get the picture, if you are up for that... power to you. If you are looking for an easy and cheap project... I strongly recommend to look at a different car.

Jade Dragon
09-02-2010, 02:47 AM
as far as having to fab everything, that isnt an real issue for me. and i understand having to upgrade fuel and cooling components. im curious where the weakness in the rods and pistons lie.

Crazy_pilot
09-02-2010, 08:17 AM
im curious where the weakness in the rods and pistons lie.

On the stock bits? With proper charge cooling you'll probably start breaking ring lands around 12 PSI boost.