PDA

View Full Version : The case of the shrunken leather...

StephenC
07-30-2010, 11:37 PM
I haven't had much luck finding information directed to car interior but I did find some information in regards to reconditioning leather jackets and such that have the same issue of shrinking due to prolonged sun exposure. From what I've read it seems like it is a lost cause. Has anyone had any luck with re-hydrating leather to "somewhat" bring it back to it's original state? The front seats are very hard and on the driver's the leather has constricted, exposing the foam. Once again this is obvious sun damage and I don't think there's much I can do but I though I'd see if anyone else has battled the same issue.

SilverSpear
07-31-2010, 12:06 AM
If you have fading, then there is a solution.

For the shrinking leather, there is no real solution. Try applying a leather softener or even a skin softener like Vaseline and see if it works.

ensteele
07-31-2010, 01:00 AM
There is a product that is called Leather Food and will give the leather more mosture and make it become more plyable like it was when newer. I think it can be gotten from Dayle at Motorsports. :)

Motorsport-SVX
08-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Hide Food :)
good stuff

Gamesy
08-30-2010, 01:43 AM
I use Mother's Leather conditioner.

RojoRocket
08-30-2010, 06:51 AM
This stuff is expensive, but incredible. The Rolls Royce folks recommend it. Now, so do I. http://leatherique.org/default.aspx

Glenn

ensteele
08-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Glenn - do you use a color dye? If so, what color and does it come close to the interior? TIA :)

RojoRocket
08-31-2010, 08:17 AM
Glenn - do you use a color dye? If so, what color and does it come close to the interior? TIA :)

Earl, If you mean Leatherique's color dye, no, I haven't had need for it, using a cover on the steering wheel, and my seat-bolsters aren't showing any kind of wear yet.

I bought the Rejuvinator oil and "Pristine Clean" combo and used it on my STS, Blackberry, and the "Soft-Skin" leather covers on the Legacy, and it really softened up the aging/cracking covers on the latter, while cleaning the blue denim deposits out of the thinner, supple skins of the Caddy. I think the "sucking" action of the seat coolers on that car pull the blue fibers into the cushions, believe it or not! The leather on my '97 was already pretty nice but really feels significantly softer after a good treatment. It had been at least 2 years since they were treated, but I believe Landshark used the same product on her prior to Ron's & my ownership. The front and rear headrests and tops of the rear seats really sucked up the oil, and were much softer after I finished. Sure an easier job than the Caddy, with much smaller seats and much less soft trim to avoid soaking with the oil. Keeping the seatbelts clear was a hassle too! :lol:

Glenn

Mike621
08-31-2010, 10:40 AM
Glenn,

How is the finish after applying the leatherique? Does it leave them with a matte sheen?

RojoRocket
08-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Glenn,

How is the finish after applying the leatherique? Does it leave them with a matte sheen?

Mike, it's not exactly matte on the SVX. Kind of glossy, almost oily gloss, but doesn't come away on your fingers, sort of finish. You really do have to leave it on long enough before proceeding to the 2nd, "cleaning" step to get the maximum effect. Had to use the cleaner multiple times in a couple of places on the caddy to get all the "stuff" floated to the surface by the oil cleaned off. It took some work to buff the finish up to a shine. I picture it being easier the next time I treat them. :D

Glenn