PDA

View Full Version : RWD Standard Trans

cdigerlando
06-06-2001, 07:53 PM
Would anyone be interested in a RWD standard trans conversion? I was thinking of having this done, and a group purchase would sure reduce the price. I was thinking of a Tremic transmission. The conversion would require a flywheel, ACT clutch, custom release arm, custom driveshaft, custom trans and rear diff mounts, RWD limited slip differential, clutch cylinder, pedals, custom gearbox mounting plate. This would be very expensive, but I was thinking of approaching someone regarding this modification.

Ron Mummert
06-07-2001, 10:01 AM
Why not just buy an '82 Camero?

SVXMAN2001
06-07-2001, 06:02 PM
just how expensive would this conversion cost. and being that your from the west coast correct? is this even possible for someone from the east coast? Im definately interested, just need more specifics

chris
92 claret svx

SVXMAN2001
06-07-2001, 06:03 PM
please ignore my ingorance about your location. I was too lazy to look where you were from

raylesk
06-08-2001, 09:51 AM
Chuck--I'm interested keep us posted--I've been looking around to find an all wheel drive trans to fit--possibly from an audi?? I was in a yard the other day and the audi trans looks similar in size so I am looking for info on the audi's to figure out if they have one that can handle some torque.

deligeds
06-09-2001, 08:22 AM
Audi has definitely produced some AWD tranny setups that handle HP/torque comparable to that of the SVX. I used to have an Audi 200 quattro - a turbocharged 5 cyl that made ~230 HP. It had 5-spd manual paired with AWD, and ran great.

cdigerlando
06-09-2001, 05:42 PM
Yes Audi makes a 5 speed transmission. So does subaru. And that bolts up. They are just not that strong unless you want to go to dog gears which suck for the street. I would prefer to do AWD but the only system that would work with more HP and weight would be a quafe'. They offered to do a turnkey setup for 12-15k. Still interested. I told them I wasn't. That was for a 10 person group purchase.

This is just an idea. If there is no more interest we can drop it. I'll just do the Level 10 upgrade. Ho Hum.

raylesk
06-11-2001, 12:25 PM
Chuck--I have not done any research but doesn't Audi make a strong manual trans for any of their awd cars? They do alot of racing with awd and they make some v8 awd cars this is why I thought maybe there would be one that could handle high torque.
If the audi thing turns out to be a dead end I would go the rear wheel drive route.

cdigerlando
06-11-2001, 06:30 PM
I have also heard that audis also have problems with high HP just like the scooby. The best most inexpensive way to go is going to be the level 10 upgrade I think. There just does not seem to be much interest. Thank you for your interest though.