PDA

View Full Version : Alternate coils

dynomatt
07-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Forgive me, I have searched.

Has anybody explored alternate coils? Still in waste spark configuration?

A bunch of guys who run the old RS Legacy's are finding that their coil packs, being now the best part of 20 years old (like ours) are breaking down a lot. I'm having coil problems too, which I won't 100% attribute to their age, but am wondering if it's a factor.

The RS Legacy guys are substituting Bosch HEC716 coils which are just a standalone coil. Rewiring them from the stock wires, then adding a conventional lead.

Subaru changed from COP, to conventional coils, and are now back to COP and it's speculated that whatever heat issues they were having have been resolved.

I'm keen to give it a go, just wondered what others had tried?

If anything.

Thanks,
M

svxfiles
07-15-2010, 07:56 PM
I just tried to install a coil from a 2003 (or so), 2.5 turbo Subaru engine into a 3.3 that I have on an engine stand in the garage.
It looks like it can be made to fit in the #3 spots with just a little hand filing.
For it to fit in #1-2 5-6, it would have to have the mounting bolt hole in the coil redrilled into the correct position.
And naturally it would need to be rewired.

dynomatt
02-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Update, i've picked up some EZ30 coils. They are a 3 wire, so will need to ground the third wire to the coil.

Haven't tried a test fit yet, but should be OK.

I'll let you know how I progress...don't hold your breath though, I don't move quickly.

M

svxfiles
02-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Update, i've picked up some EZ30 coils. They are a 3 wire, so will need to ground the third wire to the coil.

Haven't tried a test fit yet, but should be OK.

I'll let you know how I progress...don't hold your breath though, I don't move quickly.

M

HMmmmmmm,
I wonder if the EZ30 in my garage has coils?:confused:
:o